Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Greg Williams gotten too big for his britches?

JoeKnowsBest

well, the Giants had the perfect gameplan against a blitzing team...Run at the blitz, and thats what they did on that play. That was a pass blitz, not a run blitz, and when you blitz the corner as GW does alot, someone takes that outside responsibility in the scheme, so the flat to that side was in no way Harris' responsibility.

If we can keep GW, and focus on the D-Line this offseason and the draft, this D will take leaps and bounds.

The flat wasn't Walt's responsibility but Tiki had the ball before Walt got there, Walt just completely whiffed on the play and was more worried about Eli then then Tiki.

I wholeheartedly agree on the off season focus of upgrading the line, Daniels is not what everyone expected and Wynn seems to have lost a step, neither were big time sack producers but damn they can't get to the QB to save their life.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

It goes both ways and I realize that. There's enough wrong with the D giving up big runs on a specific side that blame can obviously be placed on both player execution AND coaches scheme/philosophy IMO. My point is, I've yet to see GW take blame for any of it as Gibbs has.

We agree that blame can go both ways, I'm just posting to let the GW bashers know that the coaches aren't always to blame. Lets just hope that both player and coach can get on the same page Sunday night and kick Philthy's a$$.

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck

well, the Giants had the perfect gameplan against a blitzing team...Run at the blitz, and thats what they did on that play. That was a pass blitz, not a run blitz, and when you blitz the corner as GW does alot, someone takes that outside responsibility in the scheme, so the flat to that side was in no way Harris' responsibility.

If we can keep GW, and focus on the D-Line this offseason and the draft, this D will take leaps and bounds.

I think the D is just fine. I think we need to play more base D and not blitiz so much. All ways remember, you are only as good as your last game. The Giants aren't a great team they palyed a great game. When we play them again, we will work them. They are a horrible road team, and lets face it, they are ranked 31st in defense for a reason. LA needs to start on defense, hell if not at linebacker than at DE. He needs to be on the field.

I've noticed that GW never finds faults with the defensive playcalls when asked about how a big play happened. He ALWAYS chalks it up, kinda matter of factly, to missed tackles and/or someone being out of position.

It's almost like the scheme/playcall could not have possibly been to blame.

maybe because they WERE missed tackles for the most part?

you have to keep in mind that if "joe knows" then he obviously knows about greg williams. these guys don't go their seperate ways in practice on either side of the field and meet up like an hour before the game. gibbs personally hired this guy to do what he feels is necessary to assemble a winning football team, and they are in constant communication every day, trying to see if what they have calld is incorrect, and if it isn't, they are working the players and training them to get better. if joe knows best, then isn't williams the guy for the job?

in regards to williams "snapping" at reporters, i see it two ways.

1 - he's a tad egotistical and doesn't give reporters and players enough credit when he makes a bad coaching decision, and perhaps can't swallow his pride when it comes to how he wants his defense to work.

OR

2 - the defensive schemes are just fine, and the players aren't executing the way he wants them to. that coupled with reporters asking him about the "packages" and lavar (a while ago) and why we keep on giving up big plays... well, i can understand why he's upset.

i think i'm going to have to take at least a split, if not, then the latter.

GW's system is notoriously complex and assumes that players know where they need to be as the play develops. if they don't, it can look like a bad play call and can be easy to chalk up to "bad coaching". you don't think that GW is pissed as much as we are about the big runs? watch him on the sidelines during the game, watch his emotional reaction, the intensity with which he controls his defense - at least we know that he cares about it.

i think that in general, too many people discredit the ability of coaches to change, or adjust, or recognize a problem themselves, just because they see things they don't like as "armchair coaches" every sunday. Gibbs and Williams both have talked about this, and i guarantee you the players know their faults, and this week's practice is probably very intense. even if we still give up big runs in the next couple weeks, as long as there aren't more than one or MAYBE two, i'll be alright with it, because you have to give a coach more than 4 or 5 plays before you burn him at the stake.

:2cents:

Greg Williams is the same coach that the Redskins hired. He has not changed. I think the success that he's had has made people forget that he was fired in Buffalo because he wasn't getting the job done. There's nothing really wrong with the defense. The offense did nothing and if you keep a defense on the field that much you're bound to get scored on. The defense did hold the Giants to many field goals in the game.

Of course it can be a players fault for big plays. But we've seen a pattern develop over the last four or five weeks. And it's both hard and completely unfair IMO to put the blame on the players and on the players only for each and every one of those plays.

Why is it "unfair to blame Williams for the players inabilities to make plays" if he is the Assistant Coach/Defensive Coordinator who chose 9 out of 11 of those players??

It's completely unfair to blame Williams for players in abilities to make plays that are there to be made. It's not like the Gnats fooled Washington and Tiki was untouched running down the sidelines.

Also the three TO's happened on our side of the field, I guess that was Williams fault also. I applaud the D's effort to keep the score at 19 at halftime, and IMO no player gave up, I just find it comical that GW is the source of the D's problems, and that some people can't find fault in the players to execute their assignments.

Why is it "unfair to blame Williams for the players inabilities to make plays" if he is the Assistant Coach/Defensive Coordinator who chose 9 out of 11 of those players??

Answer your own question. He's not out there. Sometimes players get over zealous.

I blame the defensive coaches for gambling on bad players. Daniels was said to be a major upgrade he isn't. I have to think that the skins would have drafted for the DL (especially over FBs) had the defensive coaches communicated that there was a need. Also the loss of Smoot hurt the team this season in terms of talent on the field and prevented us from upgrading in the draft....again I think had the defensive coaches communicated the need to keep him we would have.

They seem to think they can get it done with anyone out there. Holdman isn't good yet he had the full support of the coaches. Their evaluation of talent worries me because they seem to be wrong.

Also to you people saying they can't be held responsible for what players do on the field....they picked a lot of those guys. Especially the too weak links on the weak side.

Answer your own question. He's not out there. Sometimes players get over zealous.

The question answers itself - it is fair to blame Williams for the players inabilities because he handpicked 9 out 11 of them.:rolleyes: Sounds like you are in denial.

Here is another one - if Gibbs can take responsibility for the performance, why can't Williams?

I think people were being too high on Gregg Williams before and are too low on Gregg Williams now. Gregg Williams is a solid defense coach along the lines of Shottenheimer, but he is not as exceptional as Ray Rhodes or Marvin Lewis was. Interesting enough Shottenheimer is also a bit ridgid, that's who Gregg Williams reminds me of.

What is your basis for this comparison? We have one full season to judge each coach on - Rhodes in 2000, Lewis in 2002, and GW from last season. What results from 2000 and 2002 were more exceptional than 2004?

How bout we reserve judgement till the season is over.

Against the Giants we held Eli Manning to 12-31 passing. They were only able to run the ball to the right and middle to the tune of 40 yards.

However, their entire offense came from *gasp* running at Warrick Holdman and that left side for 220 yards. As I said early in the season, the man is horrable and needs to be replaced.. I think finally it will happen.

Last week...

Silence as far as GW being a good or bad coach..

After one lose, here comes these goofy ****s with plenty of bad to say about him.

Not to defend GW per se, but injuries have done a lot to hamper this team. He plays aggressive football and expects players to keep to their assigments. In the heat of battle, some players have strayed, and it has cost them bigtime. Yes, missing tackles is a big part of the equation, but GW does expect accountability, and he's not AFRAID to make an example out of anyone. I too, don't think he has the horses to get it done...in fact I think WHoldman has been playing like a mule...err...umm... a mule's @$$ to be honest. LaVar may be in there more and more.

When healthy, this team was pretty good..now injuries are mounting... spit and bailing wire can only hold them together so long. Look, I was sorry to see AP leave, but now he's a SUMB1TCH for his comments that he was lowballed. We get ya again, AP, watch your backside! The only few things I'll say against GW is that he didn't fight hard enough for an impact DE during the Draft or FAgency. This team needs a dominat DE, at least on one side somewhere. And perhaps his lack of flexibility to match the skills of a player by altering some of the schemes to fit that player. But other than that, he's emotional, he's "take no prisoners", and he seems commited to the organization...

FS

Last week...

Silence as far as GW being a good or bad coach..

After one lose, here comes these goofy ****s with plenty of bad to say about him.

Not after 1 loss, after losing 3 out of 4. And in those 3 losses, we gave up big runs or screens that could easily be seen as costing us the game (in the Giants game it's pretty debatable on whether you can blame the defense, but it is disturbing that 50+ yard runs were broken out AGAIN against us, TWICE, just like the Broncos game).

What is your basis for this comparison? We have one full season to judge each coach on - Rhodes in 2000, Lewis in 2002, and GW from last season. What results from 2000 and 2002 were more exceptional than 2004?

What was the basis for people saying Gregg Williams was the best defensive coordinator in Snyder era in a poll a few weeks ago then?

The point was people are overly high AND overly low on whoever the current coach is. A few weeks ago he was the greatest coach of the Snyder era in a poll (on only one year as you eloquently put it) and in a few weeks he is under scrutiny. I think a more moderate point of view is more accurate, he is somewhere in between - a solid but not exceptional coach on what he has done so far (and as you eloquently put it that has been only one year). Let's remain moderate on Gregg Williams, and let it play out without annointing him the Greatest or the problem on a mere year.

I don't think that Jacobs would be a better #2 at all. Has Jacobs ever even played an entire half? There must be a reason for that beside his injuries. I personally think the D will come out looking better this week. Williams has done an amazing job, give him time to get the players back to the fundamentals.

id love to agree with you on the D...i hope you are right, and i have to trust GW and put my faith in him c onsidering what he did to this defense, he turned it from terrible to very good. i dont think it could hurt to put jacobs as the #2 receiver...patten hasnt done much and now hes complaining. that dropped ball by him on 3rd down early in the game IMO could have been the catch they needed to start moving the ball. i dont think it could hurt to play jacobs, but id rahter win w/o him than lose w/ him.

I'd have to say the tweak is Holdman...and Daniels. Life will be better without them playing...and that should happen this week.

But, it doesn't make sense to trash the D. Griffin wasn't playing last week...he's an impact player. Let us hope that he's healthy Sunday night.

What was the basis for people saying Gregg Williams was the best defensive coordinator in Snyder era in a poll a few weeks ago then?

The point was people are overly high AND overly low on whoever the current coach is. A few weeks ago he was the greatest coach of the Snyder era in a poll (on only one year as you eloquently put it) and in a few weeks he is under scrutiny. I think a more moderate point of view is more accurate, he is somewhere in between - a solid but not exceptional coach on what he has done so far (and as you eloquently put it that has been only one year). Let's remain moderate on Gregg Williams, and let it play out without annointing him the Greatest or the problem on a mere year.

You didn't answer my question. And I don't speak for poll results or what the masses believe. I want to know what you think.

You believe that Lewis and Rhodes (also here for only one season each) fall into the category of exceptional whereas Williams was merely solid in his one year. I agree with you we really only have 1 year a piece to judge the DCs in question but I think you realize that.

My point is, what did Williams not do in 2004 that Rhodes and Lewis did to seperate themselves as exceptional?

I think you're giving Pierce too much credit....or Marshall not enough.

Pierce had a great year last season but he had a healthy rotation of Griffin,Noble and Salave'a in front of him. Marshall has had no Noble and a gimpy Griffin and Salave'a to provide lanes for him to make the tackle.

All things considered, I think Lemar Marshall is having the best season so far week in and week out on our defense. :2cents:

I agree. Marshall is doing a very solid job. Griffen and big Joe being out/injured respectively is by far the most damaging aspect to our defense. Then its Holdman being on the field and then the lack of productivity by our DEs.

You can love GW or hate him.

You can question whether his ego has overinflated, or not.

You can wonder if his schemes are to blame for the rash of big plays recently or maybe you won't.

But, what you can't do is tell me that Warrick Holdman has any business being on the Field Sunday Night.

You didn't answer my question. And I don't speak for poll results or what the masses believe. I want to know what you think.

You believe that Lewis and Rhodes (also here for only one season each) fall into the category of exceptional whereas Williams was merely solid in his one year. I agree with you we really only have 1 year a piece to judge the DCs in question but I think you realize that.

My point is, what did Williams not do in 2004 that Rhodes and Lewis did to seperate themselves as exceptional?

And you did not answer my question. I hope you are not trying to be difficult, even so I will congratulate you on at least not getting personal to be difficult this time. But your answer is in that question's answer, grasshopper.

Archived