Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins were DISINTERESTED!

PREDICTOR

Just got through watching Stuart Scott with Tom Jackson and Sean Salisbury on ESPN analyzing the game and they made the most interesting of all comments. Tom Jackson said he thought the Redskins just looked "disinterested".

He's right. That word perfectly describes Redskins players who many times looked like their heads were somewhere else, Looked like they were running half speed practice drills, or just acted as though they were going through non contact drills.

DISINTERESTED. Perfect.

I think thats an overstatement. They played flat, theres no doubt about it. But there were guys yelling on the sidelines. Coaches were huddling with their units throughout the game trying to find ways to break down the Giants and get it going. It just wasn't happening for them.

Did they care (disinterested implies they didn't?)? I think so, yeah. They just didn't match the emotion and intensity of their opponents. You do that, and you can lose to a bad team in the NFL. You do it against a good team, you get your clock cleaned.

I think the other factor is, you get behind early, in a hostile stadium, with a lot on the line, you start to press to make things happen. It happened over and over again yesterday. Recievers taking off before fully putting the ball away, kick returners doing likewise.

But I don't think they were disinterested. There was a lot of anger and frustration visible on the sidelines. Robert Royal shattered his helmet throwing it to the ground as he came off late. Lots of shouting.

They care - it was just a horrible day.

But I don't think they were disinterested. There was a lot of anger and frustration visible on the sidelines. Robert Royal shattered his helmet throwing it to the ground as he came off late. Lots of shouting.

I'd love to hear more sideline stories like this. Thanks for posting.

HOWEVER....the thing I would like to know..is why when Portis was coming out of the backfield untouched was Brunell standing there patting the ball untouched until somebody got him?

Why didn't he throw the dump off and override that pass rush?

I think it came to the point that everyone was trying to make a big play

to jump start the team. Sometimes you can try too hard and make mistakes.

I think this game was a blessing in a harsh way, because the media was making our head super big with how we handled the 49ers, now we have a good reminder and embarresment across the whole team's staff to motivate us in practice and in next weeks game.

I think it came to the point that everyone was trying to make a big play

to jump start the team. Sometimes you can try too hard and make mistakes.

Its what our D was trying to do all day. Did you see Shockey shake off Lavar as he was trying to knock the ball out and then score the TD? It made me want to throw my TV off my apartment building roof.

HOWEVER....the thing I would like to know..is why when Portis was coming out of the backfield untouched was Brunell standing there patting the ball untouched until somebody got him?

Why didn't he throw the dump off and override that pass rush?

PREDICTOR...I don't mind you posting negative things about the Redskins, but I am curious as to your allegiance.

I've scoured your posts and have tried to be objective as to your motives. But I'm at a loss...unless you are a fan of another team...could you tell us which team?

PREDICTOR...I don't mind you posting negative things about the Redskins, but I am curious as to your allegiance.

I've scoured your posts and have tried to be objective as to your motives. But I'm at a loss...unless you are a fan of another team...could you tell us which team?

I am loyal to the Skins. I love them.

I am sitting here watching TIVO and I keep seeing Portis run RIGHT by blitzers and pass rushers and I see Brunell moving backwards and then ducking while Portis is 10 yards away with nobody around him.

MY philosophy would be...if the defense is coming strong then let the running back(Portis) turn around and catch a dumpt off. Now there is a unique idea. The Skins might want to try it. It works. I see other teams do it. But Brunell wasn't even LOOKING at Portis on those plays.

Its called a check down....its called a dump off. Its called SMART football.

Does this give you some insight into my intelligence?

I am loyal to the Skins. I love them.

I am sitting here watching TIVO and I keep seeing Portis run RIGHT by blitzers and pass rushers and I see Brunell moving backwards and then ducking while Portis is 10 yards away with nobody around him.

MY philosophy would be...if the defense is coming strong then let the running back(Portis) turn around and catch a dumpt off. Now there is a unique idea. The Skins might want to try it. It works. I see other teams do it. But Brunell wasn't even LOOKING at Portis on those plays.

Its called a check down....its called a dump off. Its called SMART football.

Does this give you some insight into my intelligence?

Sorry, man, but I don't buy it. Maybe others do.

All of your posts are negative...designed to get a rise. Any constructive criticism is rare. Any support for the team is even rarer.

I'm not questioning your intelligence...just your allegiance.

HTTR

I think thats an overstatement. They played flat, theres no doubt about it. But there were guys yelling on the sidelines. Coaches were huddling with their units throughout the game trying to find ways to break down the Giants and get it going. It just wasn't happening for them.

Did they care (disinterested implies they didn't?)? I think so, yeah. They just didn't match the emotion and intensity of their opponents. You do that, and you can lose to a bad team in the NFL. You do it against a good team, you get your clock cleaned.

I think the other factor is, you get behind early, in a hostile stadium, with a lot on the line, you start to press to make things happen. It happened over and over again yesterday. Recievers taking off before fully putting the ball away, kick returners doing likewise.

Thanks for the heads up on that Tarhog, we just didn't see it. They rarely showed the Skins sideline if they even showed it at all.

Sorry, man, but I don't buy it. Maybe others do.

All of your posts are negative...designed to get a rise. Any constructive criticism is rare. Any support for the team is even rarer.

I'm not questioning your intelligence...just your allegiance.

HTTR

I posted this in another thread: IGNORE PREDICTOR'S POSTS. They are all 100% negative. He claims to be this ardent Skins supporter who loses sleep when the Skins lose and all this crap, but I don't think he posted all last week because there was nothing negative to say about the game. If he did post, I'll bet it was to point out some mistake that someone made that could have made the score 59-17...

The team cared...as Tarhog said, to say they were disinterested is to say that they didn't give a ****. Of course they did. You could tell by Mark Brunell's post game interview that he was distraught and on the edge of tears.

As far as the check-down to Portis, they did throw to him a couple times, and it was covered almost immediately both times. Also, they were down by a lot for most of the game, and the checkdown dump off isn't going to get it done. They were looking for bigger plays. Every time they had a nice play that would have gained some momentum, someone dropped a pass.

Predictor is nothing but a troll in B&G clothing. Ignore him.

I second that motion. There should be a weekly sideline segment here or something. :) Thanks Tarhog.

No problem - theres usually more to talk about to be honest.

This games sideline report:

1. Joe looked tense.

2. The Coach looked mad.

3. Coach Gibbs looked mad and tense.

4. Lots of player/coach pow-wows going on. Bugel with dirtbags. Williams with d-backs. Williams with D-line. Williams with linebackers. Danny Smith with special teams. Intense coaching sessions.

5. 1/2 the players coming off the field each play are limping.

6. Even during a huge victory, Giants fans don't make a lot of noise. Fedex has been louder every game I've been there this year.

7. Joe Bugel is amazing - he never stops coaching - all the way down to the finer points of blocking technique. Ditto Danny Smith.

8. Nick Novak kicked a 60 yd field goal about 2 hrs before the game. Right after I told TK that I didn't think he had the leg that John Hall had.

9. Players in the lockerroom after this kind of loss really, really don't want to talk. I swear, although Moss seems to always have his emotions in check and say the right thing, looked on the verge of losing it yesterday after being asked to 'explain' the horrible loss. A reporter asked him 'isn't it a complete embarassment to lose that way?' and Moss got this intense look and stood up. Then he politely answered the question. Apparently, yes, it is embarassing to lose that way. I have to admire the pro press for being able to ask the tough questions after a game like that. Guess not being emotionally-invested has its benefits.

10. I came within 6 inches of getting my head taken off by an Eli Manning pass. I asked the camera guy next to me (who also narrowly escaped) 'wanna see the last picture you almost ever got to see?'

Giants 327.jpg

Well. HE thought it was funny. :)

Royal SHATTERED his helmet? Man...he must have been pissed to be able to do that. Those things are tough!

He came off the field late in the game and threw, no, SLAMMED his helmet to the ground. Pieces of it flew. I never saw the finished product. But he was angry.

Personally (and I'm betting the coaches agree), I'd rather see players show that aggression on the field.

Tom Jackson said he thought the Redskins just looked "disinterested".

Jackson has puked on the Skins every week except this one, so I am going to puke on him:

Disinterested means impartial. Uninterested means you don't care. A professional announcer should get that right.

And, the Giants didn't play "good," they played well.

Royal SHATTERED his helmet? Man...he must have been pissed to be able to do that. Those things are tough!

Maybe if he wouldn't keep dropping passes he wouldn't get so mad. Better yet...if Gibbs WOULD STOP THROWING TO HIM!....maybe he wouldn't have the opportunity to show off his stone hands.

Archived