Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Mike Wise apologises to Brunell (possible ES reference)MERGED

JimmiJo

I searched and did not find this, hope it is not a re-post:

A Truly Sorry Situation

By UnWise Mike

Monday, October 24, 2005; Page E16

A year ago, Mark Brunell's teenage daughter was watching a game from the family's box seats at FedEx Field when she heard a chant rise up: "WE WANT RAM-SEY! WE WANT RAM-SEY!"

"Our younger kids didn't understand, but she knew they wanted the other guy to take Dad out," Brunell said. "She got emotional and cried, and that ended up becoming a tough time for everyone."

Brunell's children never got the business from the cruel kids in home room, mainly because he and his wife home-school. But they knew, just as all kids know.

"Looking back, it turned out to be a lesson we could learn from," he said. "We learned how a situation like that affects all of us."

A year later, we all look as fickle and insensitive as we do wrong. With the exception of the Gibbs and Brunell clans, all together now. (You, too, Danny): Sorry, Mark, for wanting to put a fork in you.

Like every unoriginal soul who said the game has passed your coach by, we bought into the Brunell-Should-Retire group-think. We're embarrassed we ever chastised the franchise for not going out and signing other inferior veteran quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia.

Sure, we had our reasons. After nine games and six interceptions a year ago, we thought you were headed for the announcer's booth. Or, worse, an RV show in Jacksonville, where you would sign autographs and be forced to mingle with slovenly Jaguar fans in exchange for a discounted Winnebago.

We surely never saw this coming -- long-arcing bombs falling into Santana Moss's hands, theatrical comeback wins, nearly 1,500 yards and 12 touchdowns through six games.

After throwing for three touchdowns, 252 yards and no interceptions -- after amassing a near-perfect passer rating of 147.9 in that 52-17 pulverization of the pitiful 49ers yesterday -- you have convinced us of our error.

We give. Uncle.

"It's just one of those stories that played out," said Coach Joe Gibbs, whose team moved to 4-2 a year after beginning 2-4. Gibbs added that neither he nor Brunell sought mea culpas from the more than 90,000 who 11 months ago begged the coach to bench Brunell, the gimpy veteran who rolled left, ploddingly, on an injured hamstring.

Gibbs may never admit it, but in his gut he knew Brunell had to be injured last season, if for no other reason than Brunell simply could not be that bad.

"I don't know if he has said this, but the way things were going last year, I think Mark felt that was probably it, that he was going to retire," Gibbs said.

Said Brunell: "Now, did I think I was going to get another shot here? Well, in that way I could have been done. But I knew I would get another shot somewhere. I didn't think my career was over. Not for one minute. I knew I could still play. I'm just thankful for the opportunity."

Through more than a third of the season, Brunell is the NFL's most enthralling comeback story. What a surreal transformation. He could go from nearly put out to pasture to the Pro Bowl, just like that. How wrong can you be about a 35-year-old, ultra-competitive quarterback?

"Let's face it, everyone doubted Joe Gibbs's feeling that Brunell's career wasn't over," said Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen, who knows something about resuscitating careers. "When he got healthy, we started to see it. Mark Brunell's legs are his lifeline. Once they get moving, everything comes together.

"What can I say? Joe Gibbs was right. We were wrong."

Some of us were worse than wrong. Columns, call-in shows and fan Web sites were downright nasty. One extremist Web thread took on Gibbs's undying faith in Brunell:

"If Joe Gibbs starts Mark Brunell next Sunday, it will confirm what I have thought since the day we signed the inept quarterback. . . . One fervent Christian favoring another fervent Christian," a post written a year ago read. "Time to break the loyalty, Joe. This isn't church, it's football, and Mark Brunell is the biggest mistake you ever made."

Gibbs is a known evangelical Christian, who has led revivals under NASCAR stands after his cars were done racing. He prayed over dinner with Brunell, also a born-again Christian, sometime before he signed Brunell to a seven-year, $43 million deal when he was 34.

Never mind that Gibbs somehow found it in his good heart to start Dexter Manley, John Riggins and now Sean Taylor. No, this was personal. For believing blindly in Brunell, Gibbs unnerved much of his fan base. In a warped way, some felt the coach was not honoring their religion -- their team -- so why honor his?

"That part of it made no sense to me," Brunell said yesterday afternoon. "For one, Patrick is a Christian. And a lot of the guys on the team who do play aren't. I never understood that."

We never understood a lot about Gibbs's faith in Brunell a year ago, just as we never understood a lot about Brunell a year ago, including how much he had left.

In hindsight, Brunell's demise could have been more greatly exaggerated than Mark Twain's. Think about it:

The great American writer never had to cope with the masses telling him his career was over. He and his family never had to deal with a public skewering on successive fall Sundays in Washington; Twain was merely reported to be dead.

A Truly Sorry Situation

By UnWise Mike

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...5102301274.html

A year ago, Mark Brunell's teenage daughter was watching a game from the family's box seats at FedEx Field when she heard a chant rise up: "WE WANT RAM-SEY! WE WANT RAM-SEY!"

"Our younger kids didn't understand, but she knew they wanted the other guy to take Dad out," Brunell said. "She got emotional and cried, and that ended up becoming a tough time for everyone."

Brunell's children never got the business from the cruel kids in home room, mainly because he and his wife home-school. But they knew, just as all kids know.

"Looking back, it turned out to be a lesson we could learn from," he said. "We learned how a situation like that affects all of us."

A year later, we all look as fickle and insensitive as we do wrong. With the exception of the Gibbs and Brunell clans, all together now. (You, too, Danny): Sorry, Mark, for wanting to put a fork in you.

Like every unoriginal soul who said the game has passed your coach by, we bought into the Brunell-Should-Retire group-think. We're embarrassed we ever chastised the franchise for not going out and signing other inferior veteran quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia.

Sure, we had our reasons. After nine games and six interceptions a year ago, we thought you were headed for the announcer's booth. Or, worse, an RV show in Jacksonville, where you would sign autographs and be forced to mingle with slovenly Jaguar fans in exchange for a discounted Winnebago.

We surely never saw this coming -- long-arcing bombs falling into Santana Moss's hands, theatrical comeback wins, nearly 1,500 yards and 12 touchdowns through six games.

After throwing for three touchdowns, 252 yards and no interceptions -- after amassing a near-perfect passer rating of 147.9 in that 52-17 pulverization of the pitiful 49ers yesterday -- you have convinced us of our error.

We give. Uncle.

"It's just one of those stories that played out," said Coach Joe Gibbs, whose team moved to 4-2 a year after beginning 2-4. Gibbs added that neither he nor Brunell sought mea culpas from the more than 90,000 who 11 months ago begged the coach to bench Brunell, the gimpy veteran who rolled left, ploddingly, on an injured hamstring.

Gibbs may never admit it, but in his gut he knew Brunell had to be injured last season, if for no other reason than Brunell simply could not be that bad.

"I don't know if he has said this, but the way things were going last year, I think Mark felt that was probably it, that he was going to retire," Gibbs said.

Said Brunell: "Now, did I think I was going to get another shot here? Well, in that way I could have been done. But I knew I would get another shot somewhere. I didn't think my career was over. Not for one minute. I knew I could still play. I'm just thankful for the opportunity."

Through more than a third of the season, Brunell is the NFL's most enthralling comeback story. What a surreal transformation. He could go from nearly put out to pasture to the Pro Bowl, just like that. How wrong can you be about a 35-year-old, ultra-competitive quarterback?

"Let's face it, everyone doubted Joe Gibbs's feeling that Brunell's career wasn't over," said Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen, who knows something about resuscitating careers. "When he got healthy, we started to see it. Mark Brunell's legs are his lifeline. Once they get moving, everything comes together.

"What can I say? Joe Gibbs was right. We were wrong."

Some of us were worse than wrong. Columns, call-in shows and fan Web sites were downright nasty. One extremist Web thread took on Gibbs's undying faith in Brunell:

"If Joe Gibbs starts Mark Brunell next Sunday, it will confirm what I have thought since the day we signed the inept quarterback. . . . One fervent Christian favoring another fervent Christian," a post written a year ago read. "Time to break the loyalty, Joe. This isn't church, it's football, and Mark Brunell is the biggest mistake you ever made."

Gibbs is a known evangelical Christian, who has led revivals under NASCAR stands after his cars were done racing. He prayed over dinner with Brunell, also a born-again Christian, sometime before he signed Brunell to a seven-year, $43 million deal when he was 34.

Never mind that Gibbs somehow found it in his good heart to start Dexter Manley, John Riggins and now Sean Taylor. No, this was personal. For believing blindly in Brunell, Gibbs unnerved much of his fan base. In a warped way, some felt the coach was not honoring their religion -- their team -- so why honor his?

"That part of it made no sense to me," Brunell said yesterday afternoon. "For one, Patrick is a Christian. And a lot of the guys on the team who do play aren't. I never understood that."

We never understood a lot about Gibbs's faith in Brunell a year ago, just as we never understood a lot about Brunell a year ago, including how much he had left.

In hindsight, Brunell's demise could have been more greatly exaggerated than Mark Twain's. Think about it:

The great American writer never had to cope with the masses telling him his career was over. He and his family never had to deal with a public skewering on successive fall Sundays in Washington; Twain was merely reported to be dead.

I searched and did not find this, hope it is not a re-post:

So UnWise Mike is now an Extremeskins reader huh?

Welcome aboard Mike.....you still stink.

Wise has a lot to aplogize for, so, this is an adequate start. A number of people on this board have something to apologize for as well. :).

Absolutely, and let me say that I was one calling for PR last year. Sorry Mark.

However, I redeemed myself by being one of the first to call for his return (August 14th I think).

But I think the biggest apology is owed to the coach. Can we just acknowledge that when it comes to this game, there is no-one more "Super-Football-Smart?"

:doh: yes it was

Wise has a lot to aplogize for, so, this is an adequate start. A number of people on this board have something to apologize for as well. :).

Aren't you one of them :laugh:

The second Gibbs benched Ramsey this year he could have used any of those posts.

Here's the thread it was stated in. I'm somewhat concerned he couldn't find anything better to quote than something written in 2004. That seems a bit desperate :).

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76740

I think the fact that it is a column by Wise says it all. I don't care how much crow this guy eats...I don't like him or his columns.

Aren't you one of them :laugh:

The second Gibbs benched Ramsey this year he could have used any of those posts.

Nope. I'm on a roll of late. You, though, have a lot to apologize for having finally seen what Williams and the defensive staff was hoping to accomplish with Lavar and deciding to ignore it :).

Nope. I'm on a roll of late. You, though, have a lot to apologize for having finally seen what Williams and the defensive staff was hoping to accomplish with Lavar and deciding to ignore it :).

I am not the one who should be apologizing. Are you trying to say a week ago LA couldn't have played the same, please. Kind of funny how EVERYONE was screaming that LA should have been playing and when he finally gets his chance is the best player on D even not being on the field the whole game.

Let me see earlier this year you were saying going with Ramsey was the way to go, if you want I can bring back that thread :silly:

LA should be starting next week and you know it :cheers: I am just glad whatever it was it is over now, now we can see how dominate this D can be with LA in there.

Yes,

I actually remember that post and was appauled by it.

I did stand by Brunell, knowing that a) Coaches' schemes seemed to be very vanilla/conservative, B) Jansen out.....shaky O-line blocking, C) Most important the WR's couldn't get open and kept dropping balls.

After the Cincy game, I thought Ramsey should have been the starter.....Brunell couldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards in that game and I think 99% of people thought he was done.

I feel bad for Patrick how his starting spot was taken away from him, but Coach Gibbs made the right move to put Mark back in and he's been great ever since.

It's sad that Mark's kids got their feelings hurt by the Ramsey chants for that I am sorry for that (although I again never chanted Ramsey....I did cheer when he came into the Cincy game however), but I'm glad Mark is still here and doing what he does best.

I chanted for Ramsey last year at the Green Bay game, but that doesn't mean I owe him anyone an apology. Gibbs should have made the switch to Ramsey weeks before he ever did. He also should have named Brunell the starter this year after the first two preseason games, not blaming it on Ramsey's injury. Now, if you stated that Gibbs stuck with Brunell for religious reasons, then you do indeed owe someone an apology.

Archived