Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out the big brain on Stephen Jackson! (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

anyone want to argue that this latest move by the NBA isn't in response to hip hop culture? They certainly are attacking a culture. No one cries that Brett Farve looks like a hobo do they? Nope it's a certain style that gets people all pissy.

Guess what? I agree with the NBA's dress code, I'm just being honest.

What culture are they attacking? I am a black male as the rest of the men in my family are. We have never cared anything about wearing medalions and chains. To me a culture is something that is already in you from birth. Hip-Hop is not a culture it is a style and styles eventually play out. A culture is forever. For example black people, regardless of the situation at hand always have and always will rely on God. Look at slavery, we prayed, sang and praised God in the face of adversity. The Civil Rights movement and even when we are in trouble what is one the first things we do, pray. That is culture. That is just an example. Hip hop on the other hand has many differnet influences. :pint:

Everyone's missing the point. People on this thread has said, why is it different for NBA players to have a dresscode than anybodybody else? And that they don't see the racial undertones in this. The difference is that these players are being told to change their appearance for the prodominately courtside "white" fans. I don't think anybody can realistically debate that. That's the difference between their dress code and the one many of you have to abide by. That's the problem many of these guys have with this new rule.

So? It's about money, if most of the NBA fans are predominantly white and it makes them buy more tickets if the players are dressed better, the players should be thanking the NBA for putting in the dress code, because the players will make MORE money if the fan base grows.

That is ridiculous. They want the guys to look professional, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but large, gaudy "bling-bling" is not professional, black or white. The racism card is not even remotely applicable in this scenario. That would imply that hip-hop culture is all black, which is far from the truth.

Besides, wearing a big old chain on top of an Armani suit looks retarded.

I feel you, I am tired of everytime a dicision is made by the NBA it is deemed racist. Remember when they made the legue minimum 19. What did the players cry, Racism. Somethings are done to make people look better and this is it. Magic Johnson didnt run around with thick gold ropes around his neck in the 80's when it was stylish to do so.

What I find the most amusing is those players that want to receive a stipend for the new clothes.

Man, the only punk that made that comment was Marcus Camby. He of the $8 million salary this year. Don't pay him any mind

I don't like this dress code, but I understand why the NBA is going through with it. The only reason it's being instituted is because some players were getting out of line. I remember in my early days of watching the NBA the players actually policed this themselves and looked respectable on the bench. I don't see anything wrong with rocking a polo and jeans on the bench, but the knuckleheads who started sitting on the bench rocking 5XL throwback jerseys, doo rags and velour tracksuits ruined it for everyone else. Frankly, that look is just silly on 30 year old men anyways.

On the other hand, if the NBA is doing this to stop kids from emulating the dress of NBA superstars than that's the wrong motive. Frankly, if people choose to mirror the dress of these players I don't see how this negatively impacts society further than a bunch of poorly dressed people walking around.

Guest sith lord
Man, the only punk that made that comment was Marcus Camby. He of the $8 million salary this year. Don't pay him any mind

I don't like this dress code, but I understand why the NBA is going through with it. The only reason it's being instituted is because some players were getting out of line. I remember in my early days of watching the NBA the players actually policed this themselves and looked respectable on the bench. I don't see anything wrong with rocking a polo and jeans on the bench, but the knuckleheads who started sitting on the bench rocking 5XL throwback jerseys, doo rags and velour tracksuits ruined it for everyone else. Frankly, that look is just silly on 30 year old men anyways.

On the other hand, if the NBA is doing this to stop kids from emulating the dress of NBA superstars than that's the wrong motive. Frankly, if people choose to mirror the dress of these players I don't see how this negatively impacts society further than a bunch of poorly dressed people walking around.

No offense, but why does the man has to be a punk?

Guest sith lord
So? It's about money, if most of the NBA fans are predominantly white and it makes them buy more tickets if the players are dressed better, the players should be thanking the NBA for putting in the dress code, because the players will make MORE money if the fan base grows.

They're not going to get anymore fans in the arena by dressing these guys up in suits. And the NBA should actually be thanking these players. Since I last checked, nobody comes to any arena to see David Stern.

They're not going to get anymore fans in the arena by dressing these guys up in suits. And the NBA should actually be thanking these players. Since I last checked, nobody comes to any arena to see David Stern.

The NBA does thank them buy paying them millions of dollars. The players make it hard to market their sport because of the way many of them dress and act. NBA numbers are down, that's why they are doing something, they don't like the direction the league is headed. If the players don't like it, then go on strike.

Guest sith lord
The NBA does thank them buy paying them millions of dollars. The players make it hard to market their sport because of the way many of them dress and act. NBA numbers are down, that's why they are doing something, they don't like the direction the league is headed. If the players don't like it, then go on strike.

Numbers are down because of the lackluster basketball. Who would pay to see the Hawks, Grizzlies, Hornets, and a few other teams? Are the numbers really all that bad in cities with good teams?

Numbers are down because of the lackluster basketball. Who would pay to see the Hawks, Grizzlies, Hornets, and a few other teams? Are the numbers really all that bad in cities with good teams?

It's the overall numbers, tv numbers, ticket sales etc...

Here's a "racist" question... You say lackluster basketball is the cause, isn't that because the "hip hop" culture players of today focus on the individual game rather than the "team oriented" game of the past, that some associate with "white basketball" or some other racist connotation?

So what you are saying is that if the players played more "white basketball", the numbers would be up?

(not trying to be funny, I'm making an honest point.)

Guest sith lord
It's the overall numbers, tv numbers, ticket sales etc...

Here's a "racist" question... You say lackluster basketball is the cause, isn't that because the "hip hop" culture players of today focus on the individual game rather than the "team oriented" game of the past, that some associate with "white basketball" or some other racist connotation?

So what you are saying is that if the players played more "white basketball", the numbers would be up?

(not trying to be funny, I'm making an honest point.)

You said it, I didn't. When I said the game has suffered because of lackluster basketball, I was thinking more of the dropoff from the Jordan, Barkley, Malone, Olajawan, and Thomas years and not the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

No offense, but why does the man has to be a punk?

The guys a punk because he was crying for a stipend for clothing when he already makes $8 million a year. Marcus has been in the league for probably 7+ years now. For him to make such a comment is asinine, juvenile and foolish. Then again, Camby would probably make a major dent in his salary buying all those suits considering he routinely is out for over half a season at a time with injuries.

Guest sith lord
The guys a punk because he was crying for a stipend for clothing when he already makes $8 million a year. Marcus has been in the league for probably 7+ years now. For him to make such a comment is asinine, juvenile and foolish. Then again, Camby would probably make a major dent in his salary buying all those suits considering he routinely is out for over half a season at a time with injuries.

I admitt, I didn't like what he said either. But that doesn't make him a punk. And a friend and myself joked about the samething in that, since he misses so much time, he would have to buy a lot of suits.

I think I can see sith's point.

Because this is a ban on what black players feel is representative of their culture, it is racist.

To an extent, I agree. Or at least I can understand how someone can come to that conclusion.

Where I differ is this. If it is racist, it's smart to be racist in this particular issue. Now if the league doesnt see the positive gains it expects by making this rule, I think that will open up a whole new bag of worms.

The name I saw was Brevin Knight, so you can bet those aren't the only two who are complaining.

I bet a suit would cost less than some of the throwback jerseys some of them wear.

I think I can see sith's point.

Because this is a ban on what black players feel is representative of their culture, it is racist.

To an extent, I agree. Or at least I can understand how someone can come to that conclusion.

Where I differ is this. If it is racist, it's smart to be racist in this particular issue. Now if the league doesnt see the positive gains it expects by making this rule, I think that will open up a whole new bag of worms.

Assumed racism has become just as bad as racism. People thought using the word refugee was racist because they thought it had a negative meaning, when in fact it just means someone seeking help or relief. The black players like wearing gold chains, the NBA is mostly black, so that must be racism.

Where does it end?

If you honestly think players dressing differently while on the plane, while on the bench in "street clothes"(can you even call it that anymore?), or while walking from the bus to the arena, is going to increase ticket sales, you're kidding yourself.

It does discriminate against a culture, not a race, but a culture. That culture, just like the NBA, happens to be predominantly black. It's very similar to the issue Jermaine O'neal brought up with the age minimum. He was wrong that it was racially motivated, but it definitely restricted blacks moreso than any other race. I think Stephen Jackson actually has a better point than O'neal did. They're attacking a predominantly black culture. They have every right to do it though, it's their league, the NBA players are THEIR employees.

However, I feel that if the NBA was a predominantly white league and everyone wore fishing clothes or hunting clothes or whatever they'd be wearing in this case. I don't think the NBA would put a ban on their clothing regardless of how ridiculous they thought it looked.

If you honestly think players dressing differently while on the plane, while on the bench in "street clothes"(can you even call it that anymore?), or while walking from the bus to the arena, is going to increase ticket sales, you're kidding yourself.

Does anyone know if the league simply determined this on their own? Or was their any kind of marketing research done?

I know the league and it's sponsors believe that ridding the league of the "thug" image it has now will be beneficial.

You said it, I didn't. When I said the game has suffered because of lackluster basketball, I was thinking more of the dropoff from the Jordan, Barkley, Malone, Olajawan, and Thomas years and not the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

What about Larry Bird? Bill Lambier? Kevin Mchale? Why didn't you include those guys in your statement?

Assumed racism has become just as bad as racism. People thought using the word refugee was racist because they thought it had a negative meaning, when in fact it just means someone seeking help or relief. The black players like wearing gold chains, the NBA is mostly black, so that must be racism.

Where does it end?

You're right. The NBA looks down on those players, but it has nothing to do with the color of their skin and everything to do with . It's the same way in the business world. A lack of professionalism will always be interpretted that way. I think the extent of the dress code and where it applies is stupid, but not at all racist. It shouldn't matter what the players wear, they're going to an arena to play basketball not to trade stock. But at the same time, that's up to the NBA. It just should have been implemented better and there will probably be some revisions down the road.

It does discriminate against a culture, not a race, but a culture. That culture, just like the NBA, happens to be predominantly black. It's very similar to the issue Jermaine O'neal brought up with the age minimum. He was wrong that it was racially motivated, but it definitely restricted blacks moreso than any other race. I think Stephen Jackson actually has a better point than O'neal did. They're attacking a predominantly black culture. They have every right to do it though, it's their league, the NBA players are THEIR employees.

However, I feel that if the NBA was a predominantly white league and everyone wore fishing clothes or hunting clothes or whatever they'd be wearing in this case. I don't think the NBA would put a ban on their clothing regardless of how ridiculous they thought it looked.

THEIR UNION AGREED TO THE DRESS CODE! Same as THEIR UNION agreed to the age restrictions. A union run primarily by minorities FOR minorities. But somehow, this is David Sterns fault right?

Does anyone know if the league simply determined this on their own? Or was their any kind of marketing research done?

I know the league and it's sponsors believe that ridding the league of the "thug" image it has now will be beneficial.

I don't think there was any research done, I doubt whether that much thought was put into it. It's probably just a David Stern pet peeve that he decided to throw into the CBA.

I think that many of the NBA's loyal fan base dresses the same way the players do. I think the NBA is taking those fans for granted. The belief is probably that dressing this way, or at least having this type of strict policy, is going to attract new fans. I don't see how this would attract anyone to the product though. If you don't like basketball, the way the players dress isn't going to do anything.

Guest sith lord
What about Larry Bird? Bill Lambier? Kevin Mchale? Why didn't you include those guys in your statement?

Bill Lambier? Tell me you're not serious. Now he was a "real" thug. And if you noticed, I left out Magic Johnson also. I was thinking more in terms about the generation that proceeded these current NBA players. You know, the best players from the 90's.

THEIR UNION AGREED TO THE DRESS CODE! Same as THEIR UNION agreed to the age restrictions. A union run primarily by minorities FOR minorities. But somehow, this is David Sterns fault right?

Look at the opinions of the players, do they all agree with this dress code? I think it's pretty clear that the union didn't do a good job representing their players' opinions. Certainly you can't debate that.

It was probably a give and take thing, as most agreements are. It's a small price to pay to maintain those crazy salaries. It would have been dumb to hold up the negotiations over how players dress. That doesn't mean it's not a stupid rule. You agree with the dress code? If so, WHY? They're basketball players.

Guest sith lord

Someone earlier made a good point. You have players and a superbowl coach (who shall remain nameless) of other sports who dresses like hobos, but nobody has a problem. Allen Iverson wears a throwback jersey and a gold chain and he's a thug.

Archived