Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out the big brain on Stephen Jackson! (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

They're not trying to hard because I seen a one on one the other night. And you know if they really wanted to stop it, they could do it by tomorrow.

Yeah man, Hockey markets their fights. That's one of their selling points, how tough and physical their players are. And the bad blood between them. Fighting is only a five minute penalty in the NHL. Players get suspended for multiple games in the NBA.

One thing I don't believe ANYONE has brought up is the role model aspect of all of this.

Kids undoubtedly mimic pro athletes of whatever sport they follow. I certainly did. My buddies certainly did. How many kids did you see with their tongues hanging out ala MJ playing ball in the 90's? I saw A LOT. I unfortunately was one of them. Talk about a stupid trend.

Point of this being that if the NBA players are presenting a poor image, this image will be mirrored by young people. Without a doubt.

And conversely, if parents, who for the most part are very conscious of their child's image and their influences --- see NBA players presenting a poor image -- they will no doubt steer their kids away from anything to do with the NBA.

In the same way the NFL is currently pushing NFL Youth Football to market the NFL to millions of future consumers, the NBA may be taking similar measure to ensure the future of its market. Just my :2cents:

Maybe the next CBA will have a militaristic approach and make everyone cut their hair off. They could also make them have all their tatoos removed. The NBA could pick out the players friends too maybe. They could pick the players' wives and girlfriends for them. Pick out their house and car. Raise their kids. I wonder how far thier power goes.

Pretty far apparently.

I'll bring back a point I made earlier. Should the league have no rules at all regarding off the court matters?

If a white player had a shirt with a rebel flag on it and flaunted it in front of black fans, should the league stop it?

He's too short and skinny to be a thug? I guess I'm not familiar with that criteria. Are you familar with Iverson's past at all?

I am a huge Iverson fan...ever since he stepped foot in McDonough Arena on the Campus of Georgetown University during the Kenner Summer League..I am very familiar with his exploits at Bethel HS in Hampton, VA as a basketball and football star (word is that he was a better football player than basketball player)..then he got in the bowling alley brawl and got sentenced to jail and was released after 4 months and was pardoned by the Governor of VA, Doug Wilder? Is that close?

Pretty far apparently.

I'll bring back a point I made earlier. Should the league have no rules at all regarding off the court matters?

If a white player had a shirt with a rebel flag on it and flaunted it in front of black fans, should the league stop it?

The league has every right to have rules off the court. An NBA game is not the only time that these guys represent the league. It is a privelidge to be in the league, not a right.

Guest sith lord
One thing I don't believe ANYONE has brought up is the role model aspect of all of this.

Kids undoubtedly mimic pro athletes of whatever sport they follow. I certainly did. My buddies certainly did. How many kids did you see with their tongues hanging out ala MJ playing ball in the 90's? I saw A LOT. I unfortunately was one of them. Talk about a stupid trend.

Point of this being that if the NBA players are presenting a poor image, this image will be mirrored by young people. Without a doubt.

And conversely, if parents, who for the most part are very conscious of their child's image and their influences --- see NBA players presenting a poor image -- they will no doubt steer their kids away from anything to do with the NBA.

In the same way the NFL is currently pushing NFL Youth Football to market the NFL to millions of future consumers, the NBA may be taking similar measure to ensure the future of its market. Just my :2cents:

I love the NBA, but don't ask these guys to be role models to your kid when a lot of them aren't good role models to their own.

Pretty far apparently.

If he's going to the arena or on the bench, I think the NBA should definitely restrict a player from inciting a riot. But restricting wearing a T-shirt and jewlery, that's absurd. I don't think the MLB did anything to John Rocker for his comments in Sports Illustrated. But he faced the consequences he created for himself. If wearing a gold chain is so bad, they'll get there's.

I am a huge Iverson fan...ever since he stepped foot in McDonough Arena on the Campus of Georgetown University during the Kenner Summer League..I am very familiar with his exploits at Bethel HS in Hampton, VA as a basketball and football star (word is that he was a better football player than basketball player)..then he got in the bowling alley brawl and got sentenced to jail and was released after 4 months and was pardoned by the Governor of VA, Doug Wilder? Is that close?

Is that the extent of his involvement with the police, or has there been more recent examples? I realize you are a fan of his, I am too, but that doesn't mean he isn't a thug.

Guest sith lord
Pretty far apparently.

That's totally different because that would represent hate towards another race. How does guys wearing throwbacks and bling represent hate.

If he's going to the arena or on the bench, I think the NBA should definitely restrict a player from inciting a riot. But restricting wearing a T-shirt and jewlery, that's absurd. I don't think the MLB did anything to John Rocker for his comments in Sports Illustrated. But he faced the consequences he created for himself. If wearing a gold chain is so bad, they'll get there's.

Rocker was suspended for the most games ever at the time.

But so we're clear, we both agree that the NBA CAN limit off the court matters. We just disagree on where the line is drawn.

That's totally different because that would represent hate towards another race. How does guys wearing throwbacks and bling represent hate.

It's absolutely the same. Both are images the NBA wants to avoid. For different reasons obviously, but the same ending.

Is that the extent of his involvement with the police, or has there been more recent examples? I realize you are a fan of his, I am too, but that doesn't mean he isn't a thug.

Well what makes him a thug then? His clothes??? His car?? His friends?? I mean is he going aroung beating up people just to do so?

Rocker was suspended for the most games ever at the time.

But so we're clear, we both agree that the NBA CAN limit off the court matters. We just disagree on where the line is drawn.

Really? I didn't even know. I thought he just started getting erratic and was sent to AAA and later released.

I agree that the NBA should be able to limit off the court matters. I think the dress code is well within the realm of what they should be able to do. But that doesn't mean they should be doing it. In my opinion, there is nothing to gain from making the rule. I think they did it just to do it. Stern just wanted to see if he could pull it off, and he did. Bravo... I guess.

MLB.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/R/Rocker_John.stm

Braves reliever John Rocker is suspended from baseball until May 1st by Commissioner Bud Selig for his racial and ethnic remarks in an article published in Sports Illustrated last month. He's also fined an undisclosed amount and ordered to undergo sensitivity training.

It was later reduced by 14 days.

Well what makes him a thug then? His clothes??? His car?? His friends?? I mean is he going aroung beating up people just to do so?

I have never mentioned his clothes. A police record has something to do with him being a thug. His car has something to do with it, since it was pulled over and they found drugs and a gun in it. Of course none of it was his, they were his friends, who aren't the most law abiding citizens.

I love the NBA, but don't ask these guys to be role models to your kid when a lot of them aren't good role models to their own.

Missing the point, sith lord. I'm not saying they SHOULD be role models. God knows they won't be for my kids. The fact is they ARE role models.

Do you not recognize this?

I have never mentioned his clothes. A police record has something to do with him being a thug. His car has something to do with it, since it was pulled over and they found drugs and a gun in it. Of course none of it was his, they were his friends, who aren't the most law abiding citizens.

OK so a police records has something to do with you being a thug...is Victor Conte a thug???

Archived