Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out the big brain on Stephen Jackson! (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

Does anything lead you to believe this will actually have an affect on the NBA's profit? honestly. If the NBA sales go down, if only by chance, would it be attributed to the dress code? I doubt it.

I have as much insight into this as anyone, which is zero.

I think (note my OPINION) that it will allow the teams to market to a higher paying clientele.

IE- The Wizards staff will be able to walk into the HQs of major companies and try to sell them Lux boxes EASIER than they can trying to sell wannabe hoods and gangstas.

Sure they do, they are expanding their marketing base. Saying they arent accomplishing anything is shortsighted.

They're TRYING to expand their base. The rule won't accomplish anything.

Are you going to start buying NBA clothes, going to NBA games, or watching more NBA games because of how they dress? Do you think anyone in the world would use that as a reason for becoming a fan of the NBA? Honestly, do you?

Guest sith lord
Does anything lead you to believe this will actually have an affect on the NBA's profit? honestly. If the NBA sales go down, if only by chance, would it be attributed to the dress code? I doubt it.

You made a good point earlier, The Sir. Most NFL players dress the same way and some dress like hobos, cough-Belichick-cough, and their profit is through the roof, so that pretty much throws their argument out the window.

They're TRYING to expand their base. The rule won't accomplish anything.

Are you going to start buying NBA clothes, going to NBA games, or watching more NBA games because of how they dress? Do you think anyone in the world would use that as a reason for becoming a fan of the NBA? Honestly, do you?

You know this as an absolute fact?

And this is more about marketing to casual fans than hardcore fans.

Someone earlier made a good point. You have players and a superbowl coach (who shall remain nameless) of other sports who dresses like hobos, but nobody has a problem. Allen Iverson wears a throwback jersey and a gold chain and he's a thug.

The NFL has very strict dress code rules. The players have to wear suits to and from the game, and have to wear licensed NFL apparel on the side line whther they paly or not. Notice Shawn SPrings last game in team shorts and shirt. The coaches even have a dress code and aren't allowed to wear suits on the side lines, they MUST wear licensed NFL apparel. Mike Nolan petitioned the league this off season to be allowed to wear a suit and they told him no.

The NFL has very strict dress code rules. The players have to wear suits to and from the game, and have to wear licensed NFL apparel on the side line whther they paly or not. Notice Shawn SPrings last game in team shorts and shirt. The coaches even have a dress code and aren't allowed to wear suits on the side lines, they MUST wear licensed NFL apparel. Mike Nolan petitioned the league this off season to be allowed to wear a suit and they told him no.

I don't think this is the case. I think it is up to the induvidual team. If they did have a dress code, I don't think T.O. would have been able to wear a Michael Irvin jersey after the Dallas game.

You know this as an absolute fact?

And this is more about marketing to casual fans than hardcore fans.

Not an absolute fact. If McDonald's employees all wear ties instead of their current apparel, maybe they'll sell more Big Macs. You just never know.

Maybe if the NFL players all wear purple shoes on the way to the stadium, they'll sell more jerseys.

Maybe if the Navy makes everyone wear Nikes, they'll do a better job protecting the country.

You never know, but my guess would say it has no effect. Other than making the players feel less comfortable during bus rides . But I guess that's a small price to pay to accomplish...nothing. Or potentially nothing rather.

IE- The Wizards staff will be able to walk into the HQs of major companies and try to sell them Lux boxes EASIER than they can trying to sell wannabe hoods and gangstas.

They haven't had a problem in the past selling Lux Boxes before, so why all of a sudden would changing the dress code of the players make it easier?

Guest sith lord

I have seen guys wear cloths other than suits getting off team buses.

I don't think this is the case. I think it is up to the induvidual team. If they did have a dress code, I don't think T.O. would have been able to wear a Michael Irvin jersey after the Dallas game.
+

He's right about some of it. Players don't have to wear suits though, I've never heard that one. But they do have to wear NFL apparel. And coaches can't wear suits, I remember Mike Nolan wanted to. Players get fined for their on field dress. That's why it's called the No Fun League. The NBA has taken it 1000 steps further, as they usually do. They've made an extreme(ly ridiculous) rule. Maybe we can think of a new name for what the NBA accronym stands for.

If the NFL is the No Fun League, what is the NBA?

Guest sith lord

Thank you.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. His friends are but he isn't. I'm a Sixers fan, I should have known that.

How can a 5'10" 155 lbs dude be a thug???? Ohthat is right, it is based on what he wears. All of the NBA players are thugs because they don't wear suits.

They haven't had a problem in the past selling Lux Boxes before, so why all of a sudden would changing the dress code of the players make it easier?

I wasnt trying to make it a specific example, rather a broad idea.

The NBA (and therefor it's teams) think that they can generate more revenue. They believe that a segment of the population is turned off by the image of the players, so they are trying to improve that image.

It doesnt matter if AI is or is not a thug. That's debateable. What matters is that some people THINK he's a thug. That is a fact. And when the people that think he's a thug are the people you are trying to expand the product to, you dont try and argue with them and convince them that he's not a thug. You change his image so they no longer believe it.

How can a 5'10" 155 lbs dude be a thug???? Ohthat is right, it is based on what he wears. All of the NBA players are thugs because they don't wear suits.

It's because of how he was when he was in high school. People around here never forget and certainly don't forgive either.

He's too short and skinny to be a thug? I guess I'm not familiar with that criteria. Are you familar with Iverson's past at all?

I double-checked and it seems the league has rules about on-the-field dress, including the sidelines, but the before and after game dress codes is on a team-by-team basis. Regardless, the NBA's new rule effects non-active players at courtside, much as the NFL has a rule for coaches and players on the side lines. Truth told, I wish they'd make Bellichick wear a suit cause the man looks like a total slob. It's hard to buy all the genius rhetoric from the commentators when they cut to a shot of him looking like a homeless man.

Guest sith lord

Fact of the matter is that there is no real thugs in the NBA. You ever wonder why the guys in hockey who beat the crap out of each other aren't called thugs?

Fact of the matter is that there is no real thugs in the NBA. You ever wonder why the guys in hockey who beat the crap out of each other aren't called thugs?

They are called thugs. All the time in fact. More likely though they are called GOONS.

And it doesnt matter if they really are or arent. The perception is that they are. That's what the league is trying to change.

I wasnt trying to make it a specific example, rather a broad idea.

The NBA (and therefor it's teams) think that they can generate more revenue. They believe that a segment of the population is turned off by the image of the players, so they are trying to improve that image.

It doesnt matter if AI is or is not a thug. That's debateable. What matters is that some people THINK he's a thug. That is a fact. And when the people that think he's a thug are the people you are trying to expand the product to, you dont try and argue with them and convince them that he's not a thug. You change his image so they no longer believe it.

Then just say that then...I have no problem with that, but don't tell me it is becasue the NBA wants to market to a different fan base...just say it is because the corporate sponsors don't want a thug image in a league they support finacially...but they won't say that because these same corporations have been supporting the NBA when the NBA marketed this so called "Thug image" or hip hop culture.

They are called thugs. All the time in fact.

And it doesnt matter if they really are or arent. The perception is that they are. That's what the league is trying to change.

Maybe the next CBA will have a militaristic approach and make everyone cut their hair off. They could also make them have all their tatoos removed. The NBA could pick out the players friends too maybe. They could pick the players' wives and girlfriends for them. Pick out their house and car. Raise their kids. I wonder how far thier power goes.

Guest sith lord
They are called thugs. All the time in fact.

They're not trying to hard because I seen a one on one the other night. And you know if they really wanted to stop it, they could do it by tomorrow.

Then just say that then...I have no problem with that, but don't tell me it is becasue the NBA wants to market to a different fan base...just say it is because the corporate sponsors don't want a thug image in a league they support finacially...but they won't say that because these same corporations have been supporting the NBA when the NBA marketed this so called "Thug image" or hip hop culture.

Well of course they are going to try to have it both ways.

Archived