Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out the big brain on Stephen Jackson! (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

Bill Lambier? Tell me you're not serious. Now he was a "real" thug. And if you noticed, I left out Magic Johnson also. I was thinking more in terms about the generation that proceeded these current NBA players. You know, the best players from the 90's.

Isiah thomas played about as much during the 90's as Bird did.

Someone earlier made a good point. You have players and a superbowl coach (who shall remain nameless) of other sports who dresses like hobos, but nobody has a problem. Allen Iverson wears a throwback jersey and a gold chain and he's a thug.

That's not why AI is a thug.

Someone earlier made a good point. You have players and a superbowl coach (who shall remain nameless) of other sports who dresses like hobos, but nobody has a problem. Allen Iverson wears a throwback jersey and a gold chain and he's a thug.

Yeah. The NFL players don't dress any differently, but look how large their fan base is. Businessmen have no problem accepting them.

The NBA needs to worry more about the product they put out and less about how the players dress. It's stupid.

I don't think there was any research done, I doubt whether that much thought was put into it. It's probably just a David Stern pet peeve that he decided to throw into the CBA.

I think that many of the NBA's loyal fan base dresses the same way the players do. I think the NBA is taking those fans for granted. The belief is probably that dressing this way, or at least having this type of strict policy, is going to attract new fans. I don't see how this would attract anyone to the product though. If you don't like basketball, the way the players dress isn't going to do anything.

Id like to know that for certain either way.

And the fans that the NBA has will not leave because of the dress code. The NBA is looking to EXPAND their fan base. And those that arent currently fans certainly will be more likely to become fans if the thuggery is erased.

That doesn't mean it's not a stupid rule. You agree with the dress code? If so, WHY? They're basketball players.

Yes they are basketball players and they are supposed to be Professional. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the dress code. They are representing the NBA. And it is to my understanding that they only have to dress like this on the way to, from and during the games (when they are not playing). IMO they are just looking for something to whine about. I have no sympathy for them because they make like 100 x more than I make, and I still have to abide by a dress code.

You have to look no further than this board to see that you can't please everybody. The Skins have a winning record and possibly the best team that they have had in a decade, yet you still have those that feel the need to complain.

Guest sith lord
Isiah thomas played about as much during the 90's as Bird did.

Isiah Thomas was actually an all-star in the early 90's. Bird was on the downside in the early 90's.

I feel you, I am tired of everytime a dicision is made by the NBA it is deemed racist. Remember when they made the legue minimum 19. What did the players cry, Racism. Somethings are done to make people look better and this is it. Magic Johnson didnt run around with thick gold ropes around his neck in the 80's when it was stylish to do so.

Actually Jermaine O'Neal said it had racial consequences becasue this affects more black kids than white kids. No denying that. He didn't say it was racist.

If so, WHY? They're basketball players.

I used to work as a Customer Service rep on the phone. I was required to dress professionally every day. even fridays. No customer I ever spoke with saw me. why was it important to dress professionally? because when you dress a certain way, you act a certain way. How does it affect the NBA players adversely? By limiting their culture? Please. its a style not a culture. This whole situation goes to show that the players think they are more important than the league who employs them.

Yes they are basketball players and they are supposed to be Professional. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the dress code. They are representing the NBA. And it is to my understanding that they only have to dress like this on the way to, from and during the games (when they are not playing). IMO they are just looking for something to whine about. I have no sympathy for them because they make like 100 x more than I make, and I still have to abide by a dress code.

You have to look no further than this board to see that you can't please everybody. The Skins have a winning record and possibly the best team that they have had in a decade, yet you still have those that feel the need to complain.

They invented something for people to complain about that. Something stupid I might add. It's a dumb rule that does nothing for anybody. Why not let people be comfortable? Why not let people wear the clothes they bought? Just because you have the right to restrict, doesn't mean you should always exercise that right. It's like David Stern said, let me see how far my power will go, maybe I can even control the way they dress. I wonder how far it'll go. What type of ridiculous rule will accompany the next CBA?

It's not whether you have sympathy for the players or not. It's not about whether you're envious of them or not either. I could care less what they wear on the way to the game, but anyone can acknowledge that the rule is ridiculous.

They invented something for people to complain about that. Something stupid I might add. It's a dumb rule that does nothing for anybody. Why not let people be comfortable? Why not let people wear the clothes they bought? Just because you have the right to restrict, doesn't mean you should always exercise that right. It's like David Stern said, let me see how far my power will go, maybe I can even control the way they dress. I wonder how far it'll go. What type of ridiculous rule will accompany the next CBA?

It's not whether you have sympathy for the players or not. It's not about whether you're envious of them or not either. I could care less what they wear on the way to the game, but anyone can acknowledge that the rule is ridiculous.

If this results in higher attendance, more sponsor dollars and better finances for the league, Stern will have the last laugh.

If you honestly think players dressing differently while on the plane, while on the bench in "street clothes"(can you even call it that anymore?), or while walking from the bus to the arena, is going to increase ticket sales, you're kidding yourself.

It does discriminate against a culture, not a race, but a culture. That culture, just like the NBA, happens to be predominantly black. It's very similar to the issue Jermaine O'neal brought up with the age minimum. He was wrong that it was racially motivated, but it definitely restricted blacks moreso than any other race. I think Stephen Jackson actually has a better point than O'neal did. They're attacking a predominantly black culture. They have every right to do it though, it's their league, the NBA players are THEIR employees.

However, I feel that if the NBA was a predominantly white league and everyone wore fishing clothes or hunting clothes or whatever they'd be wearing in this case. I don't think the NBA would put a ban on their clothing regardless of how ridiculous they thought it looked.

Especially if the NBA could make a ton of money marketing players who wore fishing gear! Which in this case the NBA has done when they marketed the hip hop culture to it's fans and made a bunch of money off of that. That is my only issue. Don't make money off of the hip hop generation and then all of a sudden say it is bad for the image of the NBA...it sure enough wasn't bad when you were making billions of dollars marketing the hip hop culture.

I used to work as a Customer Service rep on the phone. I was required to dress professionally every day. even fridays. No customer I ever spoke with saw me. why was it important to dress professionally? because when you dress a certain way, you act a certain way. How does it affect the NBA players adversely? By limiting their culture? Please. its a style not a culture. This whole situation goes to show that the players think they are more important than the league who employs them.

It's not about that. The dress code is stupid. The NBA accomplishes nothing by doing it. Just because you had to dress up for your job doesn't mean basketball players should dress up for a bus ride. The two things do not relate.

Does the NFL make their players follow a dress code? How bout the NHL? Or the MLB? Or even the MLS? Or the WNBA? Those leagues are what the NBA is compared do. Playing in the NBA is not comparable to being a telemarketer, sorry.

If this results in higher attendance, more sponsor dollars and better finances for the league, Stern will have the last laugh.

Does anything lead you to believe this will actually have an affect on the NBA's profit? honestly. If the NBA sales go down, if only by chance, would it be attributed to the dress code? I doubt it.

It's not about that. The dress code is stupid. The NBA accomplishes nothing by doing it. Just because you had to dress up for your job doesn't mean basketball players should dress up for a bus ride. The two things do not relate.

Does the NFL make their players follow a dress code? How bout the NHL? Or the MLB? Or even the MLS? Or the WNBA? Those leagues are what the NBA is compared do. Playing in the NBA is not comparable to being a telemarketer, sorry.

Sure they do, they are expanding their marketing base. Saying they arent accomplishing anything is shortsighted.

He might as well be, because I've never heard of him.

He went to Stanford. He's been an NBA player since the 97-98 season I believe, drafted by the Cavs. He's a solid player. A true PG and a pesty defender. He's only 5'10 though. I think he was 2nd in the NBA in assists this past season, trailing only Steve Nash. He's the starting PG for the Bobcats, the guy they drafted Felton to replace. His brother Brandin Knight was an all-american caliber player at Pittsburgh a few years back. Surprised no one has heard of him, or was it a joke? Why are people concerning themselves so much with the NBA if they don't even watch it anyway?

Archived