Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out the big brain on Stephen Jackson! (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

That isn't irrelevant. That's the kind of buisness that you're dealing with clients in an office setting. Also, how is Allan Iverson dressing up in a suit improving the image? Like Iverson said, you can put a murderer in a suit, but he's still a murderer.

The NBA and it's owners are the employers of the players, they make the rules, it's as simple as that.

The players don't have the "Right" to wear what ever they want. Those are the rules, if they don't like them, find another job.

There doesn't have to be justification. If the NBA votes to not allow Gold Teeth, they can do that if they want. IF they vote to not allow oversized shorts on the court, they can do that as well if they wanted to.

The "Man" sets the rules.

That isn't irrelevant. That's the kind of buisness that you're dealing with clients in an office setting. Also, how is Allan Iverson dressing up in a suit improving the image? Like Iverson said, you can put a murderer in a suit, but he's still a murderer.

I think the NBA has a ban on murderers too.

Simply put, Madison Ave pays the rent. White America wont pay as much to see thugs as they will to see Tiger Woods.

If that's racist. then it's racist. But it's also smart business.

Guest sith lord
Editor for an association. I sit in an office all day and almost never see anyone. The folks here who have to go up on Capitol Hill or who meet with the media or our members have to wear suits. I get to go business casual, unless our executive board is in the building for meetings, then I have to wear a suit as well.

Every job I've held as an adult has involved a corporate dress code. I represent the company/organization while on the clock and they have a right to demand I represent them in an appropriate manner. These palyers are simply spoiled children who are pouting now that they're being asked to accept the same rules everyone else has to in the workplace.

And, for the salary they get, I'd wear pink tights to work.

This is a different type of workplace and you know it. We've all said that being a pro athlete isn't a real job. Now everyone's doing an aboutface. Your job is totally different. You're dealing with people in the government where everyone has to wear a suit.

This is a different type of workplace and you know it. We've all said that being a pro athlete isn't a real job. Now everyone's doing an aboutface. Your job is totally different. You're dealing with people in the government where everyone has to wear a suit.

Being a pro athelete is a very real job. They have a skill, they use that skill to provide services.

I'm not sure why you have this sense of "entitlement". No one is entitled to anything.

Re-read my post, I sit in an office all day and see NO ONE and I'm still required to wear business casual, just like the NBA's new rules. Only when in fornt of the public do I have to wear a suit. The NBA rules only cover the players when at official events, etc. when they too are in the view of the public. They are the face of the organization and the organizatino had every right to require them to meet it's standards of dress and conduct. They can always take their signing bonus and go home.

Guest sith lord
The NBA and it's owners are the employers of the players, they make the rules, it's as simple as that.

The players don't have the "Right" to wear what ever they want. Those are the rules, if they don't like them, find another job.

There doesn't have to be justification. If the NBA votes to not allow Gold Teeth, they can do that if they want. IF they vote to not allow oversized shorts on the court, they can do that as well if they wanted to.

The "Man" sets the rules.

Actually, you're totally wrong. This subject was voted on between the NBA and the players association. The players could of voted this rule down, but they didn't. So in a way, they're getting what they asked for. It has nothing to do with the "Man" setting the rules.

Guest sith lord
If a white basketball player wanted to wear a shirt with a rebel flag on it, should the league allow it?

Are you talking about a confederate flag?

Actually, you're totally wrong. This subject was voted on between the NBA and the players association. The players could of voted this rule down, but they didn't. So in a way, they're getting what they asked for. It has nothing to do with the "Man" setting the rules.

In reading the articles associated with the story, I didn't see and still don't see where the players voted on it. The only thing I can find is that the Players Union head said that they Union would not oppose it. That doesn't sound like they voted to me.

It sounds like the Union could have opposed the move, which would have led to a strike, thus no money for the players.

Guest sith lord
In reading the articles associated with the story, I didn't see and still don't see where the players voted on it. The only thing I can find is that the Players Union head said that they Union would not oppose it. That doesn't sound like they voted to me.

It sounds like the Union could have opposed the move, which would have led to a strike, thus no money for the players.

One of the NBA reporters on ESPN said this was in the labor agreement.

One of the NBA reporters on ESPN said this was in the labor agreement.

I'm guessing that in the labor agreement that was signed in the past, there is a clause that states that the league MAY assign a dress code. That's how it is in pro baseball, my brother played for the dodgers and they had a more strict dress code than the other teams. They had rules regarding how much of their white socks had to be showing etc...

If the players don't like the rule, they would have to strike or have it changed in the next collective bargaining agreement. But obviously, the owners and the commish have the power to do what they want based on the current one.

I'm guessing that in the labor agreement that was signed in the past, there is a clause that states that the league MAY assign a dress code. That's how it is in pro baseball, my brother played for the dodgers and they had a more strict dress code than the other teams. They had rules regarding how much of their white socks had to be showing etc...

If the players don't like the rule, they would have to strike or have it changed in the next collective bargaining agreement. But obviously, the owners and the commish have the power to do what they want based on the current one.

One of the key players in the union (I want to day Dale Davis) said that the league did not have to run it by them, but they did as a courtesy.

Guest sith lord
One of the key players in the union (I want to day Dale Davis) said that the league did not have to run it by them, but they did as a courtesy.

They still should of voiced their opinions then. And that seems kind of odd that they didn't have to run it buy them. I'm a union worker and before they can install anything like dresscodes or even drug test, we would have to vote on it.

They still should of voiced their opinions then. And that seems kind of odd that they didn't have to run it buy them. I'm a union worker and before they can install anything like dresscodes or even drug test, we would have to vote on it.

Why "should" they have voiced their opinion?

Why is it odd that they didnt' have to run it by them? The union signed the agreement, the union voted on the agreement before it was signed. Sounds like the union isn't led by very good leadership if this is such a big issue.

Guest sith lord
Why "should" they have voiced their opinion?

Why is it odd that they didnt' have to run it by them? The union signed the agreement, the union voted on the agreement before it was signed. Sounds like the union isn't led by very good leadership if this is such a big issue.

It's odd to me because I've got union experience. And maybe they don't have good union leadership. I know we don't.

Guest sith lord

Everyone's missing the point. People on this thread has said, why is it different for NBA players to have a dresscode than anybodybody else? And that they don't see the racial undertones in this. The difference is that these players are being told to change their appearance for the prodominately courtside "white" fans. I don't think anybody can realistically debate that. That's the difference between their dress code and the one many of you have to abide by. That's the problem many of these guys have with this new rule.

Archived