Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Why can't we score a Rushing TD

Redskinswhoopass

I'm not sure it's that we can't score a rushing TD; it's that we aren't scoring rushing TDs. That sounds really incoherent, but what I mean is that we haven't had to score rushing TDs, really. Our passing game is actually working, so we haven't had to score any. However, we aren't doing well on the goal line, and it's not Portis' fault. It's the schemes we're using to try to get in. Portis gets stuffed right away by the defense.

Good topic. I think our small receivers don't really help much in the red zone, so defenses sell-out to stop the run. I think Gibbs tried to counter that by using Sean Taylor, but he has a bad shoulder. Even if he could still catch, his huge new shoulder pads probably prevent him from raising his arms. Too bad McCants didn't have Thrash's practice habits.

We have seen this team inside the 5yd line enough to know that they are definitely on a drought. From what I see, we are NOT getting the jump/push on d-lines. This o-line does an amazing job keeping mark Brunell upright, but things haven't "evolved" into big holes and big pushes for Clinton. I believe this is why we see CP "stumbling" so much after he breaks the LOS. He literally has to jump or stretch through holes and then find his feet again on the other side. Clinton proved in denver that if he has a big hole, he'll take on the other 3 or 4 defenders with nice result. He needs that hole here regardless of being at the goal line or not. Even though we have a young, awesome o-line, they have work to do yet for Clinton Portis.

The only thing I see wrong with CP at the goal line is that he gives up too fast. I'm waiting for him to dive over the top or roll off the back of an o-lineman and try another direction.

edit- I also want to say that I think Portis HAS gotten into the endzone twice this season and was not given the call by refs or replay.

Portis actually blew a golden opportunity against Denver. When we were driving from about the 15 yard line and the gave him a pitch to the left, he followed Samuals instead of taking it to the sideline where one of the WR's had the last man in his way blocked, pushed towards the inside. All he had to do is cut it out there and it would have been an easy TD. He even pointed it out that he missed it on monday I think it was.

Either way, Portis will get his TD's. Brunell has got a hot hand and teams will have to focus more and more on the pass leaving Portis open on the run. It's only a matter of time before he has a breakout game, it's not like he hasn't had 2 100 yard games already.

Too much pulling and not much pushing.

EXACTLY!!! I've been saying this since last year. I'd love to get some footage of the old Gibbs teams. I can't remember them pulling this much inside the 5 yd. line. If my memory serves me they just mauled people straight ahead and ran them over. Our O-line is big, but are they too weak to smashmouth down there?

BLOCKING!...and Portis' decision making.

We do not get enough of a push from our Oline, which make Portis panic/hesitate a little bit. Its just enough for the defense to adjust and make the stop. I am sure they work on this in practice, so hopefully Portis will break out this weekend.

This has got to be killing Coach Gibbs. He loves Goaline offense.

Archived