Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what makes you guys think you can run the ball on Denver consistantly?

LoyalSoldier

This is an honest question. When your running game hasn't been nearly as good as teams that we have already faced what makes you so sure you can get 100+ yards and 1+ TD?

This one boggles me since we have shut down LT, Larry Johnson, Holmes, and Fred Taylor. Also not to mention you are coming into Denver not hosting us.

So be honest with all homerism aside. Why do you think you can run the ball all over denver?

This is an honest question. When your running game hasn't been nearly as good as teams that we have already faced what makes you so sure you can get 100+ yards and 1+ TD?

This one boggles me since we have shut down LT, Larry Johnson, Holmes, and Fred Taylor. Also not to mention you are coming into Denver not hosting us.

So be honest with all homerism aside. Why do you think you can run the ball all over denver?

Cause The Donkeys Suck!

Who's being the homer here? Your in our house now.

What makes you think you can stop us from jamming it down your throat?

;)

Who's being the homer here? Your in our house now.

What makes you think you can stop us from jamming it down your throat?

;)

I am just currious what this miracle to your O-Line is. From a football fan stand point I see that Denver has so far shut down many tallented running backs. So with a lesser running system right now how do you think you will match up?

lol

where does this run all over Denver stuff come from? Stop putting words in our mouth. If our running back was anyone besides Clinton Portis you guys wouldn't care. (or any other Bronco)

If you actually read some threads about Portis and our running game you might notice that most of us are looking for ways to improve it.

We won the last 2 games through the air. Although we did rush for 141 yds against Seattle our longest run was 18 yds and it was our QB.

lol

where does this run all over Denver stuff come from? Stop putting words in our mouth. If our running back was anyone besides Clinton Portis you guys wouldn't care. (or any other Bronco)

Just read the prediction threads. It is full of "Portis will have a big day" in one way or another.

If you actually read some threads about Portis and our running game you might notice that most of us are looking for ways to improve it.

Right which is why I don't get all of the thoughts that Portis is going to run all over us when you guys have a lot of work to be done.

We won the last 2 games through the air. Although we did rush for 141 yds against Seattle our longest run was 18 yds and it was our QB.

Denver rush defense: 79.0 yards per game. Rank 4.

Washington rush Off.: 136.3 yards per game. Rank 6.

Looks like an even match up to me.

Washington rush Def.: 83.3 yards per game. Rank 5

Dever rush offense: 144.3 yards per game. Rank 3

Looks like an even match up to me. Why do you think Denver can run on Wash?

That's intelligent.

F. Taylor, 14 yards

P. Holmes, 61 yards

L. Tomlinson, 52 yards

R. Brown, 57 yards

So, this week we magically suck and you'll run all over us.

I'm not gonna say all over you, But I will say that he will run more than those guys did.. I feel a 100 + yard day ocming for Portis. ;)

Denver rush defense: 79.0 yards per game. Rank 4.

Washington rush Off.: 136.3 yards per game. Rank 6.

Looks like an even match up to me.

Washington rush Def.: 83.3 yards per game. Rank 5

Dever rush offense: 144.3 yards per game. Rank 3

Looks like an even match up to me. Why do you think Denver can run on Wash?

I don't think either of us are going to get much off of the ground game. Though for all we know both teams could have 200 yards rushing and 7 TDs. :D

Right which is why I don't get all of the thoughts that Portis is going to run all over us when you guys have a lot of work to be done.

I dont know if you've watched the Skins games so far, but if you have I'm sure you noticed that we have been facing at least 8 men in the box on every conceivable running down. Seattle had 9 in the box on many plays (leaving our 2 WRs in man coverage with only 1 safety in coverage). Considering this, our rushing game has actually been quite good. Not many teams, if any, can have dominant rushing games when there are 8 in the box. I don't expect the Broncos to respect our passing game, so I think they too will put at least 8 in the box. And if that happens I expect more of the same. A solid running attack, averaging a little over 4 yards a carry. Nothing spectacular, but effective. If the Broncos are smart they will load the box and make us beat them through the air as the Cowboys and Seahawks did. Being as objective as I can be, I think that is the smartest way to play against us.

That's intelligent.

F. Taylor, 14 yards

P. Holmes, 61 yards

L. Tomlinson, 52 yards

R. Brown, 57 yards

Week 1

Miami rushed 33 times for 151 yards (4.6 ypc)

Week 2

Chargers rushed 24 times for 79 yards (3.3 ypc)

Week 3

KC rushed 22 times for 74 yards (3.4 ypc)

Week 4

Jacksonville rushed 11 times for 12 yards (1.1)

Looks to me the more you rush, the more you gain against the broncos.

Week 1

vs Chicago, rushed 40 times for 164 yards (4.1 ypc)

Chicago rushed 18 times for 41 yards (2.3 ypc)

#9 rushing defense at 92 rushing ypg

Week 2

vs Cowboys, rushed 25 times for 104 yards (4.2 ypc)

Dallas rushed 29 times for 90 yards (3.1 ypc)

#24 rushing defense at 115 rushing ypg

Week 4

vs Seattle, rushed 39 times for 141 yards (3.9 ypc)

Seattle rushed 23 times for 119 yards (5.2 ypc)

#25 rushing defense at 116 rushing ypg

Jacksonville gave up on the run pretty quick. Only 11 carries? Weak. Take them out of the Broncos stats and you have a 101 rushing ypg defense, which is good enough for 15th overall in rushing defense.

Another good stat to look at is the Redskins are only giving up a little more then 12 points per game, while the Broncos are giving up 17 points per game. Look at who you have played as well. 3 teams that are 2-2 and one that is 2-1. So a combined win/loss of 8-7. We have played a combined record of 5-6. It looks pretty obvious to me that this is going to be a good game that will be settled by a play or two. Both teams are evenly matched, so to the original question, i don't know what makes me think we will run all over you, but what makes you think that you can stop the Skins from doing so?

That's intelligent.

F. Taylor, 14 yards

P. Holmes, 61 yards

L. Tomlinson, 52 yards

R. Brown, 57 yards

Taylor 8 carries

Holmes 14 carries

Tomlinson 19 carries (2 TDs)

Miami 159 total yards rushing

when you look at the WHOLE picture.... not nearly as impressive. The only team to have more than 25 carries against you gained 159 yards rushing.

Washington should have at least that many carries and don't have much of a let down when Betts comes in.

I am not sure what you've been smoking but the Skins are the 6th best rushing team in the NFL, despite facing 8 & 9 men in the box. Plus we have a very good, tough OL, that is getting better every game.

I think that with a weakend backfield your defense will be forced to play more evenly than our previous opponents. Especially if Brunell gets the offense moving through the air and considering the quality of your DB's that is very possible as long as our OL can do their job as well as they did last week.

Additionally consider that our D has consistently held opposing rushing attacks to about 1/2 a yard per carry lower than any other team in the NFL since the beginning of 2004 and you will see that we will get the ball back enough to run it down your throats several series if they choose to. As long as we don't get behind early the ball will be run 30+ times by Portis and Betts.

Brunell is a more experienced QB than Leftwich and Brees and has better receivers than any team you have faced so far. Brunell is playing much better this season and hasn't been making mistakes despite being sacked quite a bit. I don't see Plummer being able to match Brunell in this game. The game will probably come down to turnovers and Plummer is much more likely to provide them.

Taylor 8 carries

Holmes 14 carries

Tomlinson 19 carries (2 TDs)

Miami 159 total yards rushing

when you look at the WHOLE picture.... not nearly as impressive. The only team to have more than 25 carries against you gained 159 yards rushing.

Washington should have at least that many carries and don't have much of a let down when Betts comes in.

I am not sure what you've been smoking but the Skins are the 6th best rushing team in the NFL, despite facing 8 & 9 men in the box. Plus we have a very good, tough OL, that is getting better every game.

There are two reasons Taylor only carried it 8 times. First, Jax thought they could win through the air since Champ and our #2 corner (Darrent Williams) were out of the game. Second reason is that he just couldn't run it. 8 carries for 14 yards is proof of that.

Holmes only had 14 carries because we jumped out to a 17 point lead by the end of the first quarter. Most of his yards came in the second half while we were in nickel and had already locked the game up. Larry Johnson also carried the ball. 8 times for 13 yards.

LT couldn't run the ball on us either. He had 2 TDs and most of his yards in the first half when our D was piss poor. In the second half he gained 11 yards on 9 carries.

Why did you only put Miamis yardage up there, but showed everyone elses carries? I guess you didn't want to show they had 33 carries. Also it was well over 100^ that day and Miami had a 60 yard reverse by Chris Chambers in the first quarter. When you factor that in and look at the whole picture...159 isn't really that impressive.

You said your o-line was tough and getting better every game, well look at our d-line game by game. Opposing teams got away from the run for a reason. Because our line has got better every game, and we stopped them time and time again.

The way I see it is our rushing attack and team gets no respect and everyone brings it into question because we won 3 close games against 3 very good D's. So what do the fans and "experts" have to go off? Last year.

Well now its 2005 not 2004. One big Victory and we are no longer the lucky team!

The reason Skins fans think Portis will go off on Denver is because we know its just a matter of time before the O really starts to click and we are hoping its sooner then later.

Skins need to rush 30+ and wear down the small D, then CP will break a big one!:wave:

Why did you only put Miamis yardage up there, but showed everyone elses carries? I guess you didn't want to show they had 33 carries. Also it was well over 100^ that day and Miami had a 60 yard reverse by Chris Chambers in the first quarter. When you factor that in and look at the whole picture...159 isn't really that impressive.

always wanting to exclude something like it didn't happen, giving up 60 on one play to a WR?? :laugh:

lets see hmm 33 is MORE than 25 carries isn't it? thought so

keep spinning that same old tripe but facts are facts many teams have rushed for 40 a game.

the games tomorrow.... be prepared, because the teams don't play the game in fantasyland as you obviously live, and no matter how much you try to pretend it can't happen, the Skins have a very good chance to win this game.

We'll run on Denver, assuming we haven't turned it over or taken a couple of quick stops and let them get on us by two touchdowns, because our running game is varied in a way none of the other teams you've played have seen. Portis is showing he's capable of grinding out very tough yards against run fronts. We haven't been able to get teams out of run fronts yet because they are still discovering if we have a passing game for real or not.

So, where the Broncos defense is a fine one against the run, the fact is we have generally been a productive running team -- again this year -- against teams playing us to run. It's not going to be tougher for us against you as it's tough for us most weeks until we can get defenses to fear the pass more than they fear Portis. Right now they game plan for him almost exclusively because that's all they have to do. Moss is starting to require attention which could be something you have to do this week if Bailey is at all limited.

Doing so will open things up a little.

What we like about Portis is the ability he's shown to get tough yards we didn't expect he could get. Even against Dallas when he was held down the most, it was because they were all over what we were doing, but he generated positive yards out of most opportunities. Given he will want to perform well against you and the team will want him to do well you might see more inspired play than you're ready for. This works both ways, of course. Honestly, given the emotion on both sides, I'd expect Portis to have 150 yards or more, or 50 yards or less :).

Archived