Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IS not trading Ramsey going to boost his confidence?

boobiemiles

I don't know how many of you are sold on Jason Campbell. I read the souting report on him yesterday, and it seems that he's a poor man Brian Leftwitch. He has a good arm that can stick all the NFL throws, but ist not great. He's mobile enough to side step the blitz but not as nimble as McNabb. Most scout's think it will take three years before he can realize his potential. WIth that said what does the Redskins disinterest in trading Ramseys say 1) about Ramseys, and 2) about Campbell's availability. Most teams in the NFl keep only two QB's on the roster, but here we are with three, seemingly capable QB's. Is Joe going to give Ramseys another year to mature before dealing him? Or is Joe sticking to he script of Brunell, then Ramsey then Campbell, in successive years of 05, 06, 07. I like the fact we kept Ramsey. He has the best arm out of the bunch, but he needs to cut down on the mistakes. I don't know, sometimes I wonder what is going on with the Old Man, the like a wily evt Joe's moves work.

The 'Skins lack of desire to trade Ramsey right now means Coach Gibbs values having a backup who knows the system. Campbell is the hand-picked guy by Joe Gibbs for the future, but he's not ready. It means no more, no less.

Where do you get this idea that most teams are only keeping two QB's on the roster?

Boob,

Most teams keep three quarterbacks. It's rare for teams to have two. You need to have a clue before making statements. Campbell is the third, emergency QB. My guess is at least 30 teams if not all 32 have the same arrangement. This is common. Campbell will take time to develop. One reason we acquired him was to have that time. One reason we won't trade Ramsey for anything but an overwhelming offer is because we want to give Campbell time to develop.

Given there are no QBs left who know the offense we can't risk getting rid of Ramsey and leaving us with two healthy QBs -- one who's not ready -- while teaching a new No. 3 the offense.

Ramsey, also, doesn't have the best arm of the bunch. In some ways he has the worst arm. He's got the best arm strength by some measures. Having the best arm is a combination of velocity, distance, accuracy and touch. Here, Ramsey may be third right now on the team given is propensity for throwing high early, hard too often and short on deep throws when he tries to add touch.

Boob,

Most teams keep three quarterbacks. It's rare for teams to have two. You need to have a clue before making statements. Campbell is the third, emergency QB. My guess is at least 30 teams if not all 32 have the same arrangement. This is common. Campbell will take time to develop. One reason we acquired him was to have that time. One reason we won't trade Ramsey for anything but an overwhelming offer is because we want to give Campbell time to develop.

Given there are no QBs left who know the offense we can't risk getting rid of Ramsey and leaving us with two healthy QBs -- one who's not ready -- while teaching a new No. 3 the offense.

Ramsey, also, doesn't have the best arm of the bunch. In some ways he has the worst arm. He's got the best arm strength by some measures. Having the best arm is a combination of velocity, distance, accuracy and touch. Here, Ramsey may be third right now on the team given is propensity for throwing high early, hard too often and short on deep throws when he tries to add touch.

We have three potential starters on our team. Most teams have a true starter, a back up and a practice squad QB. But we have three starters.

How can you say Ramseys has the worst arm? He's the only one right now that I think can hit a 20 yard post out to the side line, or anything that resembles a fade. The jury is still out on the other guys. None of the guys on our team have really displayed velocity, accuracy, or touch. I don't know how you can say that. And I don't know why we can't trade Ramsey because of Jay inexpereince. Most the Qb that are on these rosters are first year players. Rothlis took over for Maddux, Orton took over for Grossman, Eli took over for Kurt Warner, its a common trend. It has been done, Pittsburg is happy. We could have held the Jets feet to the fire on with. Why not do it? We have already mortgage part of the future with the JC deal, why not see what we got.

Does anyone know what the Jets were offering for Ramsey? Even though Ramsey is only going to be here for one year it would be very risky to have Campbell as the backup for Brunell. Might as well write off the season. Now, if the Jets were offering a lot then it would be worth discussing. Not worth discussing a 3rd or 4th round pick.

We have three potential starters on our team. Most teams have a true starter, a back up and a practice squad QB. But we have three starters.

How can you say Ramseys has the worst arm? He's the only one right now that I think can hit a 20 yard post out to the side line, or anything that resembles a fade. The jury is still out on the other guys. None of the guys on our team have really displayed velocity, accuracy, or touch. I don't know how you can say that. And I don't know why we can't trade Ramsey because of Jay inexpereince. Most the Qb that are on these rosters are first year players. Rothlis took over for Maddux, Orton took over for Grossman, Eli took over for Kurt Warner, its a common trend. It has been done, Pittsburg is happy. We could have held the Jets feet to the fire on with. Why not do it? We have already mortgage part of the future with the JC deal, why not see what we got.

Yes, Ramsey can throw a 20-yard out. He can't always throw a 10-yard in without throwing it poorly. A good arm requires more than just velocity. It requires accuracy, touch, delivery (meaning how easy it is to catch) etc. Ramsey has top notch arm strength. He has a very average arm, overall, because he lacks touch and consistent accuracy.

At least right now.

Campbell is a player the team wants to develop, not throw to the wolves. He will play if it's an emergency or later in the year if we're out of contention. There's no need to play him as he hurts our chances to win. Teams that go with younger QBs generally expect to lose initially. That doesn't always happen, but, for the most part, if you go young here you lose. Allowing Campbell time to develop while we remain a team capable of contending is a reasonably sound method of operation we've seen in a number of towns as well. Take Palmer getting a chance to sit and adjust behind Kitna. Losman -- who sucks, of course. Rivers, who may not play out there if Brees holds it down. That kind of thing.

Does anyone know what the Jets were offering for Ramsey? Even though Ramsey is only going to be here for one year it would be very risky to have Campbell as the backup for Brunell. Might as well write off the season. Now, if the Jets were offering a lot then it would be worth discussing. Not worth discussing a 3rd or 4th round pick.

The conversation never got to an offer. The Redskins refused to even address the concept of a trade, never hearing what the Jets would offer. This, at least, according to a couple of reports on the issue which may or may not be true.

I generally agree with you Art, but not on this one. Losman is an increedible athlete and a playmaker. Give him a chance to develope and he could be a long term starter in the NFL.

I don't know how Losman will be over time. I was speaking more that now he sucks :).

Art...dont you think that P Ramsey will at least be on the team through 06. I mean i dont see Campbell being ready till 07, and brunell will be done after this year.Prob cut for salary cap reasons....

It depends. If Brunell plays well -- not just well in spots -- and Ramsey doesn't see the field again, I think he's gone at the end of the year as Campbell, then, would be your No. 2 and you'd have a third string QB you'd take and start developing.

If Ramsey and his agent create a lot of drama about wanting to be moved this year, it could also facilitate him being gone in the off season. I think the only way Ramsey remains on the roster next year is if he plays again and plays well enough to make trading him seem like a bad move to most of us.

But, I think the team will WANT a QB with a year experience in reserve for Campbell in 2007 so, someone would seem likely to be out at this position in the off season this year.

At this stage, who cares about his confidence? In the best case scenario, if Brunell gets hurt, Ramsey will get one more chance to show what he can do. He can step up and be an NFL Quarterback or his stock goes down across the board and across the NFL.

The Jets would rather have the Titans' Volek. But they ain't letting him go. Ramsey was a "backup" to that choice. He may be doomed to follow the path of Ferotte. We don't have 12 years to wait for him to develope.

It depends. If Brunell plays well -- not just well in spots -- and Ramsey doesn't see the field again, I think he's gone at the end of the year as Campbell, then, would be your No. 2 and you'd have a third string QB you'd take and start developing.

If Ramsey and his agent create a lot of drama about wanting to be moved this year, it could also facilitate him being gone in the off season. I think the only way Ramsey remains on the roster next year is if he plays again and plays well enough to make trading him seem like a bad move to most of us.

But, I think the team will WANT a QB with a year experience in reserve for Campbell in 2007 so, someone would seem likely to be out at this position in the off season this year.

Thanks Art. I am very curious as to whats gonna happen. Should be interesting. So I take it the only reason we kept Ramsey this year was cause we has a QB familiar with the system in place in case Brunell falters. See I thought maybe Ramsey would replace Brunell, for cap reasonas after this year, but that would make no sesne. Gibbs favors Brunell.....

Next season is the last year in Ramsey's deal, and he is NOT going to sign an extension - so, we WILL trade him in the offseason, otherwise we'll just lose him to free agency with no compensation at all.

If Brunell is still healthy, and effective, he'll probably be the starter. I still think we'll take an ugly cap hit if he's cut even next season. Campbell should be more than ready to be the #2 guy by then.

Brunell won't be cut, he's Gibbs' guy. Ramsey will be traded in the off season as his cap hit will be literally nothing. Until the off season hits Rams ain't going no where, Gibbs wants a back up that has some experience. I'm not sold on JC just yet, while he may have gone undefeated at Auburn he was handing off to Cadillac and Ronnie Brown an awful lot, and there D was pretty good also. And we all know an incredible running game can make any QB look good when he's always passing against a vulnerable D.

The question presumes that there is a problem with Patrick Ramsey's confidence. Why should there be? He's been handled by two coaches who have been trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. He won't succeed here. It's over.

His strength is in drilling intermediate range passes. His touch on short throws has improved. It's better but still not there on the deep throws. He needs to find an offensive coordinator willing and able to adapt his scheme to his QBs talent.

Michael Vick would have failed here if coached like Ramsey was coached. Tom Brady would have failled here. Neither fits the schemes of Spurrier and Gibbs.

I haven't seen enough of Jason Campbell to form an opinion. What I heard were raves about his accuracy. Then, I heard one of the Auburn coaches comparing their starter this year to Campbell. He said that the guy wasn't the athlete that Campbell was but he was a more accurate passer.

I wonder how accurate Campbell can be if his college coaches saw him as the second most accurate passer on their squad?

rdsknbill asks .... Not to add fuel to this already tired fire but is Ramsey good enought to start elsewhere in the league? anyone?

He outperformed Wuerfel and Matthews in Spurrier's system. In 2004, he outperformed Brunell in Gibbs' system. Yes, I think he can start in the right situation.

Archived