Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Joe Gibbs live up to his word with Ramsey?

footballhenry

I haven't heard this specifically addressed in a thread too much so I wanted to get the conversation started. Has Gibbs upheld his word regarding basically the entire way hes handled Ramsey and his demotion. Personally I have lost faith in Gibbs 'word' because of this.

Gibbs jumped at the first opportunity he got to pull Ramsey, and whats worse is it was after Ramseys head got knocked on the ground illegally even.

Gibbs gave his word that Ramsey was the starter, always saying "We want Patrick to take us to the promised land" etc etc. I understand that changes will be made in football, they need to be but less than two quarters of football to pull your starting QB because its a 'gut' feelings doesn't do it for me. Just in case you havent figured it out, no I dont believe Gibbs has lived up to his word at all with Ramsey. In fact I think Gibbs has lost alot of credibility in peoples eyes with the way hes treated Ramsey since Day One even.

Wow, you bring such a fresh and interesting thread to the boards. I mean, seriously, I haven't read a Ramsey/Gibbs thread in over, what has it been, oh 3 hours!

Nice! Heres an idea, dont post. You see if I see a related threads or threads im not interested in, guess what? I dont post, just a thought...

footballheny, i too am disappointed in the decision and i would be just as pissed as i was last monday if i was just hearing about this today. but so far i've rationalized it to the fact that the playcalling sucks and it doesn't matter if we had a young sonny jurgensen back there, gibbs would run the same offense. :doh: for whatever reason this team is turning into the baltimore ravens...terrified to lose playcalling rationalized by playing to strengths.

:whew: let me calm down...i just want the skins to win and if brunell plays winning football we'd all be happy. playing it safe on every play isn't going to win many games for us. didn't we see that last year. we need to take some chances!

First off, learn to take some friendly ribbing. Secondly, Gibbs lived up to his promise when he gave Ramsey the first string snaps during training camp, and when he gave Ramsey the entire first half of just about each preseason game to prove himself. Now, I love PR, but he just didn't take the job and run with it like I hoped. Joe Gibbs never said that Ramsey was going to start the entire season, or part of it for that matter. He just said that Ramsey was going to be the starter, what that meant for Patrick was that it was time for him to play like a starter, stop making stupid mistakes, and help us win some games. Ramsey did just the opposite, he looked like that Ramsey that we've seen for year. THe guy that show a flash or two, but can't get it together consistently. I think one Ramsey threw that first pic, and fumbled twice, although one was on a illegal hit. But I think that Gibbs just had the gut feeling that Ramsey wasn't getting it together like he hoped.

Like I said earlier, I was always one of those guys that said that Ramsey never got a real chance to shine. And I knew that with all of the confidence being put into him this offseason that he was going to come out in training camp, and preseason, and stake his claim on the QB position in D.C.. But he didn't do it, and I thought Brunell looked much better. And slowly I started to feel nervous with Ramsey. Then came the Bears game, and when he threw that first pick, I just shook my head. From that point on I just had this shaky feeling, then he fumbled twice.

Finally, those of you who keep saying something about a promise need to remember that this is football, which means put up or shut-up, there's no such thing as a sure thing. Nobody owes you anything, especially when you haven't given them a reason to.

If you want promises go to the boyscouts.

I agree that Ramsey got the crappy end of the stick.

I mean, on what grounds did Gibbs all of a sudden decide to bench Ramsey? From what I understand the reciever ran the wrong route when that INT occurred.

Ramsey makes plays , takes chances and took us down the field and tossed a TD pass to Cooley only for it to be called back due to illegal motion I think it was.

Ramsey averaged 17 yards per completion! Brunnell averaged 8 yards per completion and didn't score a single TD pass that would have scored or been brought back due to a stupid, unneccessary penalty.

Now, maybe Gibbs thought Ramsey was to rattled to come back in that game and that is why he finished the game with Brunnell and that I could understand but for what reason does he name brunnell the starter in Dallas?

I'm a true fan of Gibbs but I too question how he has handled the QB spot and his word because he never gave Pat even 1/10 of the chance he gave Brunnell last year.

I haven't heard this specifically addressed in a thread too much so I wanted to get the conversation started. Has Gibbs upheld his word regarding basically the entire way hes handled Ramsey and his demotion. Personally I have lost faith in Gibbs 'word' because of this.

Gibbs jumped at the first opportunity he got to pull Ramsey, and whats worse is it was after Ramseys head got knocked on the ground illegally even.

Gibbs gave his word that Ramsey was the starter, always saying "We want Patrick to take us to the promised land" etc etc. I understand that changes will be made in football, they need to be but less than two quarters of football to pull your starting QB because its a 'gut' feelings doesn't do it for me. Just in case you havent figured it out, no I dont believe Gibbs has lived up to his word at all with Ramsey. In fact I think Gibbs has lost alot of credibility in peoples eyes with the way hes treated Ramsey since Day One even.

1. There have already been plenty of threads addressing this topic, some of which I seem to remember you commenting on and even starting.

2. When did Gibbs say, "I give you my word, Ramsey will be the starter all season"?

3. How about getting focused on the HUGE game tonight.

I thought people were complaining that Gibbs gave Brunell to much time last season. Now that is the basis of the argument of giving Ramsey longer?

This decision wasn't made Sunday. It was made over the last year and a half that Gibbs has watched Ramsey in training camps, mini-camps, film sessions, practice, and games. Thinking that Gibbs made this decision on three series is ludicrous.

An injury happened and Brunell got in the game. Did Brunell light it up? No. But he didn't turn the ball over, which everyone knows is on top of Gibbs' list of pet peeves.

Simply look what happened after the first weekend. Ramsey + one INT + 2 Fumbles (one lost) = benched. Brown + one fumble = cut.

Brunell + no turnovers = starter

The math is that simple.

There was no word. Gibbs just said that he would be the starter, and thats all that was said. No promises, no nothing. And by and large, Ramsey was the starter (even though he was outplayed) by Brunell in the pre season. And if any Ramsey lovers want to dispute that Brunell outplayed him, make like you're coaching a different team and two qb's did the same things, who would have won the job? I digress.

My point is Ramsey was the starter for as long as Gibbs needed to see that he couldn't live up to the task. That includes OTA's, camps, pre season. He didn't play like a starter should have. Too damn bad. Gibbs did like he said he would.

uh Brunnell "UNDERTHREW" a ball to Moss i think it was and it was nearly picked off.

The Math? ermm...how about last season? Brunnell sucked the entire season and started the first 10 games? Ramsey came in and gave us life and hope!

Are we sure this isn't a Christian Bias thing? Both Gibbs and Brunnell are devout Christians.

This is football...not Sunday school.

uh Brunnell "UNDERTHREW" a ball to Moss i think it was and it was nearly picked off.

The Math? ermm...how about last season? Brunnell sucked the entire season and started the first 10 games? Ramsey came in and gave us life and hope!

Are we sure this isn't a Christian Bias thing? Both Gibbs and Brunnell are devout Christians.

This is football...not Sunday school.

By that asinine assumption we're still in the same boat because so is Ramsey.

I think Joe just like the rest of us expected Ramsey to play like a starter should during TC and Preseason and he didn't. Unfortunately, for Ramsey, Mark played like a starter should. And now he's starting.

Archived