Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Draft: What are our needs?

RWJ

HHM,

The point is very simple. Even after your substantial off season changes, your team was far from ready to enter the year without improvements very late, and you find yourself unable to improve in a key area that could hurt everything else, at right tackle. This is not a good sign for you.

You have to address injuries. Plain and simple.

If, and it is a lovely if, Rogers and Thornton did not get hurt, Fujita would not be on the team, and Petitti would still be a backup.

Rogers had a fabulous offseason and was having a very good preseason. Parcells was very happy with his progress.

Thornton was a good backup, and he was another player Parcells was high on.

As for Price, late season addition it is, but I was comfortable with our WR's before Price.

Now, I'm just A LOT more comfortable (for this season, and hopefully many more).

And again, I'll take adding a Peerless Price at any point in the season.

Dont you think he could be, at a minimum, a solid #3 WR for the Skins this season? Possibly #2?

HHM,

It has little to do with whether I find flaw in the addition of Price. I think that's fine and certainly serves as a personnel upgrade for you. The point remains, though, from one who knows, roster stability is something you really need to try to achieve. You guys couldn't because of how weak you were.

But, making late changes such as these are rarely moves that work out much of this season for teams. Despite all your efforts, you still have clear, major weakness at so many positions. I think it's a negative reflection on your status heading into the year that you were forced to make late changes to improve.

HHM,

It has little to do with whether I find flaw in the addition of Price. I think that's fine and certainly serves as a personnel upgrade for you. The point remains, though, from one who knows, roster stability is something you really need to try to achieve. You guys couldn't because of how weak you were.

But, making late changes such as these are rarely moves that work out much of this season for teams. Despite all your efforts, you still have clear, major weakness at so many positions. I think it's a negative reflection on your status heading into the year that you were forced to make late changes to improve.

I don't see all the clear major weaknesses at so many positions so much as I see inexperience and youth perhaps which is a big difference. Let's not pretend that even great teams do not pounce on late-offseason to even during-the-season OPPORTUNITIES based on circumstance and value. Dallas added Charles Haley only a few days before the MNF season opener of the '92 season vs. the Redskins. N.E. recently added WR Andre Davis. Pittsburgh just signed WR Quincy Morgan. Philly recently your former WR McCants. Last year San Diego added Keenan McCardell in the middle of the season? Maybe these FO's have no idea what they're doing and don't have the luxeries of Washington Redskins; a team with solid roster stability... no holes and no weaknesses.. :cool: :rolleyes:

You have to address injuries. Plain and simple.

If, and it is a lovely if, Rogers and Thornton did not get hurt, Fujita would not be on the team, and Petitti would still be a backup.

Rogers had a fabulous offseason and was having a very good preseason. Parcells was very happy with his progress.

Thornton was a good backup, and he was another player Parcells was high on.

As for Price, late season addition it is, but I was comfortable with our WR's before Price.

Now, I'm just A LOT more comfortable (for this season, and hopefully many more).

And again, I'll take adding a Peerless Price at any point in the season.

Dont you think he could be, at a minimum, a solid #3 WR for the Skins this season? Possibly #2?

It's highly debatable just how good Rogers was and whether he was truly on the fast track to starting. Part of being good in the NFL is being tough. And obviously Parcells didn't think he was tough enough to have a future with the team because he released his a$$. Why? Because the team didn't think his season ending surgery was necessary. Is this what you do with a player who is "head and shoulders" above your other players? Dump him? I don't think so. If he's not tough enough to gut it out - then he was never the best option, Parcells actions reflect that.

As far as Price goes, if this is a great potential move for the future - then why only sign him for a season? As I mentioned in another thread - WR (and QB) is not a position you want to be adding a week before the season starts - Not if you expect to get much production out of the player.

And Price would not beat out Moss or Patten and become #2 for us this season. There is simply no way he'd be able to learn the playbook and get his timing down with the QB. That goes for any team that would have signed him. Next year could be a different story though.

Well I dunno if it was said in the first 5 pages of posts here, but we dont have a first round pick, correct? So, with our 2nd and so on I think we should get some d-line talent, and depending on how Moss and Patten do, we may want to get a bigger WR for the short yardage situations. I also agree that it is a bit early to talk about this!

HHM,

You do what you have to do.

Really, we didnt have much of a choice. Season ending injuries happened, and we had to address them.

Tuna was happy with what he had at those spots, but "you know what" happens and we had to deal.

No biggie, in the end, I dont think RT and backup LB is going to be the reason we do or dont make the playoffs.

But seeing you think we have all these weaknesses, whats your prediction for our record?

It's highly debatable just how good Rogers was and whether he was truly on the fast track to starting. Part of being good in the NFL is being tough. And obviously Parcells didn't think he was tough enough to have a future with the team because he released his a$$. Why? Because the team didn't think his season ending surgery was necessary. Is this what you do with a player who is "head and shoulders" above your other players? Dump him? I don't think so. If he's not tough enough to gut it out - then he was never the best option, Parcells actions reflect that.

As far as Price goes, if this is a great potential move for the future - then why only sign him for a season? As I mentioned in another thread - WR (and QB) is not a position you want to be adding a week before the season starts - Not if you expect to get much production out of the player.

And Price would not beat out Moss or Patten and become #2 for us this season. There is simply no way he'd be able to learn the playbook and get his timing down with the QB. That goes for any team that would have signed him. Next year could be a different story though.

Yes, Rogers decision to have the surgery ended up being the end of him.

But that doesnt eliminate the fact that he DID have a strong offseason and he was doing well in the preseason, better than anyone else at the RT spot.

He got injured again, after a tremendous amount of progress from a terrible rookie year, and decided to get the surgery.

But you dont do that on Parcells watch, as you correctly pointed out.

You gotta be tough to play for the Tuna. And that decision showed BP he didnt have what it took mentally and physically to be a Dallas Cowboy.

It does NOT mean he did not have the TALENT to play for him.

So in the end, again, if not for the injury, Petitti would not be starting at RT today. It was Rogers job to lose, and he had a very firm grip on it until he got hurt.

As for Price, the decision for a 1 year deal was from both sides. And rightfully so.

Good for him because he now has a chance to re-establish himself and put himself back out there on the market next season to cash in on a possible long term deal.

Good for Dallas, because (God forbid, lol) it does not work out and he doesnt fit in or he isnt happy as a #3 WR, we arent tied in to any long term deal which could have cap implications.

Really, the one year deal was the best for everyone. And the Price move cant be knocked.

Only a true Dallas hater can make up a reason why the Price signing was a bad one. :2cents:

Well I dunno if it was said in the first 5 pages of posts here, but we dont have a first round pick, correct? So, with our 2nd and so on I think we should get some d-line talent, and depending on how Moss and Patten do, we may want to get a bigger WR for the short yardage situations. I also agree that it is a bit early to talk about this!

I knew that, but I forgot all about that.

Its prolly not possible but I'd love to have Young from Texas or Bush from USC, shoulda kept our first rounder, could of had one of those guys.

I think the last thing we need is a QB or RB. Though Bush is a weapon I wouldn't mind having. Do you expect us to have a bad season or something? Because those guys are probably going top 5.

Archived