Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Katrina would have hit the east coast...

halter91

If that Hurricane Katrina would have hit the Philadelphia head on, I know it couldn't due to the water temp, but If it did, they said it would wipe out everything on the eastern seasboard from NYC to Richmond. Could you imagine that? That would be really bad. The beaches from NYC all the way down below Virgina Beach would be wiped out. Just thank god we don't have to deal with those Cat 4-5 Storms. Anyone know what the highest Cat storm to hit VA? I know the one that destryed NC in 99 was bad, but it died down by the time it hit Va.

I think isable came very close to giving us a beating.. look at the path it took.

100 miles more north and it would have been a mess..

Isabel_2003_map.png

Duration: Sept. 6 - 20, 2003

Highest winds: 160 mph (260 km/h)

Total damages (in USD): $3.4 billion

Total fatalities: 17 direct, 34 indirect

Areas affected: North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, New York, southern Ontario

Isabel left my city in shambles for about 2 weeks. Not to the level of NO, but we were pretty bad off. The city had no ice, there were long lines everywhere for anything, homes were destroyed, the areas near the water were wiped out. There was terrible flooding as well. There are still repairs going on today. One of my coworkers homes was destroyed and she has had to go through holy hell to get her insurance to pay for it.

This whole episode has made me think about my "emergency preparedness". What would happen if I were in the situation that these people find themselves now?

Ten years ago you could probably open up my wallet and find $60-$100 in cash at any one time. Today, I rely HEAVILY on my debit card. I never have more than $40 in my wallet now. If we lost electricity for an extended period of time I'd be screwed with no ATM's :) (Assuming local businesses might operate on a cash basis....otherwise it's probably every man for himself looting).

We have very little non-perishable food items in our home. With no electricity to keep food cold, or gas to cook food I'd be screwed (well, at least after the propane ran out on my gas grill). I imagine the 5 of us trying to survive on a jar of Skippy peanut butter.

I should take the time to make sure I'm better prepared for something like this....

Hurricane Agnes was not a particularly powerful storm but caused alot of flood damage. It is still considered the worst storm in Pennsylvania history.

A minimal hurricane, Agnes' winds barely reached hurricane force when it came ashore on the Florida Panhandle in mid-June, 1972. But the small, poorly defined hurricane caused unprecedented destruction that spanned far beyond the point of landfall. Hurricane Agnes is remembered not for its wind, but for its water – floodwater that affected the lives of thousands along the U.S. eastern seaboard.

Downgraded to a tropical depression, Agnes barreled up the eastern seaboard, reaching the coast of Virginia on June 21. By that time, the storm had gathered strength and moisture from the Atlantic waters and regained tropical storm intensity.

Agnes sent torrents of rain into Virginia, forcing nearly every creek and stream in the central portion of the state over its banks. Agnes claimed 13 lives in Virginia and caused $222 million in damage. It wasn't over yet.

Agnes continued its northward trek, losing tropical characteristics but not moisture. It crossed Maryland and Washington, D.C., before passing just west of New York City and curving back across central New York state. Agnes then stalled near the New York - Pennsylvania border where it would unleash the brunt of its fury.

For two days, Agnes drenched New York and Pennsylvania with as much as 18 inches of rain. The deluge was too much for the already swollen rivers of Pennsylvania to absorb. They rushed over their banks, sweeping over fields, homes and city streets.

If that Hurricane Katrina would have hit the Philadelphia head on, I know it couldn't due to the water temp, but If it did, they said it would wipe out everything on the eastern seasboard from NYC to Richmond. Could you imagine that? That would be really bad. The beaches from NYC all the way down below Virgina Beach would be wiped out. Just thank god we don't have to deal with those Cat 4-5 Storms. Anyone know what the highest Cat storm to hit VA? I know the one that destryed NC in 99 was bad, but it died down by the time it hit Va.

Isabel put a hurt on us. I don't live far from Code, but as a Cat 1 it left

16 inches of water in my business. There are still a lot of people in this

town that are still living in FEMA trailers.

Most are waiting for homes to be raised. One friend had his house dropped.

He had to demolish it and rebuild.

I believe the strongest storm to hit VA was August 1933. Heard many stories from old timers about this storm. If can find the link will post it here.

I think that was hurricane Hazel riggins44. That was the one that separated the new point comfort lighthouse from the mainland. I've heard lots of stories about that one too...

Hazel was in the 50's. The August Storm wasn't named.

I just found this, so may have been the strongest storm to hit VA.

Hurricane Hazel--A Category Four Hurricane that came ashore in North Carolina in October, 1954, and then brought hurricane force winds as far inland as Canada. Passing 95 miles to the East of Charleston, South Carolina, Hazel made landfall very near the North Carolina and South Carolina border, and brought a record 18 foot storm surge at Calabash, North Carolina. Wind gusts of 150 mph were felt in Holden Beach, Calabash, and Little River Inlet 100 mph gusts were felt farther inland at Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. Hazel carved a path of destruction that left over 600 dead, and damages exceeded $350 million 1953 U.S. dollars.

This info on August 1933 storm, which was a direct hit for the Chesapeake Bay.

Chesapeake Bay Hurricane of 1933--A powerful Cape Verde Storm that reached Category Four strength at one point before weakening to Category Two strength. The storm ended up striking on August 23, 1933 causing 79 million dollars in damage according to 1969 estimates, and left some 18 people dead. It also knocked out service to about 79,000 telephones as well as uprooted some 600 trees in Virginia Beach. The storm also set a record for storm surge with one that was 9.8 feet above normal in spots.

Probably most of you don't remember Hurricane Camille in 1969 but it was devastating to Virginia. Especially the middle of the state where it stalled out and dumped massive amounts of rain. (Up to 31 inches in 24 hours!)

Camille produced the fifth lowest barometric pressure ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, a scant 905 millibars; the only hurricane to hit the United States with a lower pressure at landfall was the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935.

The true intensity of Camille can only be approximated, as no meteorogical equipment survived the extreme conditions at landfall, but Camille is estimated to have had sustained winds of 190 mph at landfall, with gusts exceeding 210mph.

Camille retained the record for the highest storm surge measured in the United States, at over 24 feet until Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Camille turned eastward as it moved inland, unleashing torrential rains of up to 31 inches (790 mm) as far north as southern Virginia. An additional 113 people perished as a result of catastrophic flooding in Virginia.

Archived