Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Tupa done for the year

NorthEast Skin

Tupa on injured reserve

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9669

The Redskins are expected to place punter Tom Tupa on Injured Reserve on Tuesday, ending the 17-year veteran's season.

Tom Tupa

Tupa suffered a back injury during warm-ups before the Aug. 19 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. After a series of doctor visits over the last two weeks, Tupa met with head coach Joe Gibbs and team officials at Redskins Park on Tuesday to discuss his status.

The decision was made to put Tupa on Injured Reserve.

The Redskins signed veteran punter Chris Mohr on Monday. Mohr, a 16-year vet who has played previously with the Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is expected to compete with first-year punter Andy Groom in the next week for the Redskins' punting job.

Both Mohr and Groom also have experience serving as holders. Tupa served as the holder for long snapper Ethan Albright and kicker John Hall last season.

Mohr has appeared in 239 games in his career. He has recorded 1,152 punts for a 40.4-yard career average, with 281 inside the 20.

Groom replaced Tupa in each of the last two games and has played well as both a punter and holder. For the preseason, Groom has punted 13 times for a 42.3-yard average, with a long of 56 yards. He has landed six punts inside the 20.

The thing that worries me is that Tupa also holds for John Hall. He's going to have to get used to whomever wins the punting job. Yes, both punters hold. But, you have to figure that he had some good chemistry with Tupa and now, literally, will have to start from scratch. How much do you want to bet we lose a close game because of a botched field-goal attempt this season?

I wonder if this is any reflection on Groom's ability as a holder? Groom's leg looks pretty strong and he gets good height on this kicks. The advantage Tupa was supposed to have was in directional punting and Groom has been doing a good job in that area too.

Yep, Tupa was very solid last year. I don't have the numbers in front of me, or recall where I saw the comparisons, but I think Groom has so far in camp had about the same distance as Tupa, but actually better hang time.

Mohr is probably also here for insurance against further punter injuries. My guess is groom gets the job. There is the youth vs. experience factor here tho.

Archived