Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins about $2.15 millon under the cap--- ? about Simon

StevieInferior

According to tommorrow's Post the Skins are about $2.15 under the cap. I believe that most teams want an injury fund of about $1mill, so we just have about $1mill to spend. Although I am not sure Simon is needed given the way our defense plays and some other needs that I think need to be filled later next year, I still wonder if the Skins could manuever to get him should Gibbs and/or Williams say I want him. So you cap experts out there, I wonder if there are any players on our roster that can be restructured to provide us with the room to get him should we decide to. I guess we should assume a cap hit of $3-$4mill in the first year being that SBs can only be spread out over 5 years at this point of the CBA. So if I am right we need another $2-$3mill in space...where could we get that from?

Thanks

Gibbs said the Redskins have discussed the possibility of signing star defensive end Corey Simon, who was released of his franchise tag by Philadelphia on Sunday, but did not expect to contend seriously for his services because of salary cap concerns. Washington is about $2.15 million under the cap, league sources said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/29/AR2005082901962.html

Simon turned down a $5mil one year contract which is why he got the franchise tag in the first place... and were going to sign him with $1mil? Getting him is not even a possibility IMO, plus I think he has been playing DT in philly, not DE.

I don't know. I thought he was a tackle, but the Post said he was an end.

If he's a tackle, then we really don't need him, although, as I said earlier, before I edited it, that would give us the best set of tackles in the conference.

If he's an end, then we really ought to look into it, as DE is easily the weakest spot on our defense right now.

Gregg Williams runs a tight ship on and off the field. Clearly his defense is a system driven tour de force that requires plenty of precision by high motor players who respond well to the mind altering effects of Gregg's tutoring. :D

Does Corey Simon fit that bill? Old dog,.....new tricks,.....superstar mind set,....

And do we want to spend that kind of money to find out? :(

:helmet:

Yes he has, but that $5mill hit is only because the franchise tender is solely base salary and thus the hit is taken into one year. In your typical muli-year deal (which is what he would get if he came here) he would get a big SB and the lowest base salary in the first year, hence why I think he will only need a cap hit of about $3-$4 mill. My question is not does he fit (personally I would rather the money be speant elsewhere next year like DE) but rather if the coaches want to get him (and I trust their judgement) does the cap handicap them or can we get creative? more than anything I am wondering whether the needs for our team/Simon's ablity to fill these needs is making the decision to sign him or our cap situation.

Simon turned down a $5mil one year contract which is why he got the franchise tag in the first place... and were going to sign him with $1mil? Getting him is not even a possibility IMO, plus I think he has been playing DT in philly, not DE.

I think Simon would be a great fit especially in this defense. He is comparable skill wise and talent wise with Griffin. They really would be duplicate's in our scheme NOT REALLY A BAD THING. Now who here would'nt want 2 Griffins at DT?

Simon can play end and is really good when sent upfield from DT. He is'nt a 2 gap anchor but he's a very quick disrupter and a penatrator and would be a great fit. Simon is also still young and has some years left if we can workout a decent deal. I would expect him to get around C.Griffin money.

Everyone is well aware of our cap situation, so imagine my suprise when i heard twice today that the skins may make a move for Simon. First on Sirius, and then in an article i saw when browsing around on the net. On Sirius they said that it might be possible for some teams (like us) to make a deal in which a lot of money is garunteed later in the contract. I guess you can garuntee money without it being an upfront signing bonus, so I suppose it is possible. I dunno if it is wise to keep digging the cap hole in which we are already standing, thats one for Dan's accountants to look into

Does anyone remember this is exactly how we got Trotter . Stay clear of Philly cast offs .

On an aside this just shows the class of the organisation Trotter held out for a decent multi year deal and was eventually de tagged two or three weeks into the pre season hampering who he could latch up with and now they do it again with Simon . If they knew this ws going to happen why not let him walk early just out of courtesy like many other teams . It just goes to show what will happen to the next "franchise player" for the Eagles.

Now, to be fair to the Eagles, they didn't really know a while ago that Mike Patterson was going to be ready to play so early. Once Patterson emerged as a legitimate starter (or at least a legit member of a rotation including Walker and Rayburn), Simon was really unnecessary, and why would they want to pay him that much money if they really didn't need him? I don't blame them at all, really...

I will go on record as saying I don't want Simon. I kind of wanted a DT this offseason, but I wanted a Pat Williams type that would be the multi-gap anchor we need, instead of another penetrator like Griffin. I love Cornelius, but I don't think we need his twin, and especially not in a lazy package that costs an arm and a leg. All I really hope is that he goes somewhere like Buffalo or Baltimore where we don't have to see him twice a year *ahem* New York Giants *ahem*

Never mind what I had typed here earlier...this guy is a pass rushing end...exactly what we need. The Skins should make an effort...

And it would be real nice to have a guy who plays against the Iggs with a chip on his shoulder...

Hes definitely a DT, remember they had Hugh Douglas, Kalu, Kearse & Burgesss playing end the last few years, Simon has been teamed up with Walker & Hollis Thomas, Simon is a beast, love to have him team up with Griffin in the middle. I love Big Joe & Noble, but Simon is a monster, and a much better player :cheers:

He is a defensive tackle

From FSU

Or am I just an idiot?

You really don't want an answer to this, do you?

:laugh: :laugh: :silly:

Just kidding ya!!

I could see us bringing in another saftey or CB. - I'd rather stay away from high dollar lazy players from the Eagles ie: Trotter, Hugh Douglas.

Definitely.

Blondie

Archived