Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Militarized Police Storm Utah Rave, Beat Partygoers

Baculus

What the hell don't the police handle violently these days? Maybe I just have really bad experiences with cops but they are either extremely violent, or completely unhelpful and rude. It used to be them putting their lives at risk for us. Now it's going more and more towards them putting our lives at risk because it's unfiar to ask "americas finest" to risk their lives. This isn't even mentioning the trend towards thinking a civilian accidentally killed is his fault for being in a bad situation.

This country really is developing a warped view of "service" and the role of government. Suddenly it's civilans who have to bend over backwards to make those choosing to serve have an easier time of things.

Police are generally very nice to me in the district. I'm friends with a large number of them dating back to high school. Unfortunately, I think given what people think of ravers I can see police in Utah acting rather reactionary.

Some people do go there for the music... However, anyone else remember Buzz back in the 90s before Fox 5 and the military got involved? That place was an open drug market... Not anything worse in my mind then what the hippies do before phish shows (block off an entire city block and turn it drug bazaar). The problem was the clubs themselves invited the trouble inside. Then you started finding kids in closets. And not to mention the violence that comes with that.

Neither of these give carte blanche to use the means that were described or reported. Darth Tater used the correct term: aggressive coercion.

And, regarding the cameras, I ask the same question: Why did the police want them confiscated? That immediately raises suspsicion, at least to me, to why they wouldn't want their actions to be recorded.

The fact of the matter is that you don't know what went down, I don't know what went down. What the article has are quotes from people at the party. Biased towards one side of the spectrum. Hell, look at the website the article is posted on. Its obviously going to be slanted. The article does state that people were arrested for weapons violations. If you read further on the page, they post an artice from the UTah Dailey Herald...again, it states the officers found GUNS along with counterfit money and various drugs.

I'm not going to argue peaceful/not peaceful rave scene. That doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't be caught dead at one regardless. But if there are 1500 "kids" at a party, where drugs are widespread, where there are weapons

how would you, as a police officer act? In your best interests I bet. You protect #1 first.

I'm not saying there aren't bad cops out there. They're are a lot of them. But you can't judge all cops based on the actions of a few like Destino does. Thats like saying all Football players are selfish jerks because T.O. is.

IMO, it's just common sense. why even bother going to HUGE parties where there is drug use, sexual assualt, and driving under the influence? ...you are just asking for trouble and you KNOW police are going to get involved at some point.

and this reasoning is exactly why i have never gotten an alcohol citation, arrested, or beaten by police while in college.

Police are generally very nice to me in the district. I'm friends with a large number of them dating back to high school. Unfortunately, I think given what people think of ravers I can see police in Utah acting rather reactionary.
It all depends on where you are and why you are talking to them. When I'm dressed for work and saying hello they are great people. When they are allowing bouncers at a local night club to beat the hell out of my friend....suddenly not so nice. Thus my point earlier about how your social position is the determining factor to the treatment you receive. Young kid at a rave, you get treated like crap and if you don't like it a possible @ss kicking. The higher the status the better the treatment until you get to the top where they kindly ask you to turn yourself in and give you a few days to think it over.

Now what exactly do people think of ravers that would demand they react violently? Have they been known to be violent? Not in my experience and other then threat there is NO reason that's acceptable.

Some people do go there for the music... However, anyone else remember Buzz back in the 90s before Fox 5 and the military got involved? That place was an open drug market... Not anything worse in my mind then what the hippies do before phish shows (block off an entire city block and turn it drug bazaar). The problem was the clubs themselves invited the trouble inside. Then you started finding kids in closets. And not to mention the violence that comes with that.
I was at buzz both before and after the Fox 5 farce. The place was an open drug market but so were all the other clubs in DC, and to further expose the lunacy many of the cops at the time were there as bouncers while off duty. Fox 5 alarmed the moms and dads of the world and suddenly it was time to crack down, as soon as the spot light shifted elsewhere it went back to business as usual.

And what violence ever went down at Buzz? That place almost never had a real fight.

You protect #1 first.
If that's your attitude then do not SERVE the public as a cop. Go into politics instead.
I'm not saying there aren't bad cops out there. They're are a lot of them. But you can't judge all cops based on the actions of a few like Destino does. Thats like saying all Football players are selfish jerks because T.O. is.
I judge them on my experience which I find to be more reliable then starry eyed stories of heroics. Most cops are good people but the ones that aren't are defended by blind idealism and like you said too often they can be counted on to look out for #1 first.....in this case because they know ravers crying police brutality won't affect their careers.

I'm not going to argue peaceful/not peaceful rave scene. That doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't be caught dead at one regardless. But if there are 1500 "kids" at a party, where drugs are widespread, where there are weapons

how would you, as a police officer act? In your best interests I bet. You protect #1 first.

There is no evidence that these people were brandishing weapons. And there is no evidence that the police should have expected trouble, and hence, needed dozens of heavily armored police officers. There is not a history of "ravers" having shootouts with police or any other action that would necessitate those actions, such as the strong-armed methods mentioned, or the putting a loaded weapon in someone's face. And yes, that one page is obviously slanted, especially after what happen.

The video that I have seen is of heavily armoured SWAT members descending upon a bunch of dancing people.

Sorry guys, but raves are not that bad. I used to go to Buzz, Fifth Column, Tracks, etc., during the 90's, and those places weren't just open-air drug markets. That one "expose" on buzz made it seem way worse then it really was. It is the same type of stuff that rock-n-roll concerts having been criticized for years. The other day on Pat Robertson's show (I just happened to be switching by), a mother said that she brought her daughter to a rock show where the performers stripped down naked. Of course, Pat said that, because of the moral decay of rock-n-roll, she shoudn't bring her child to a rock concert. (I've never seen performers on stage at any show I have been to where they all stripped to the nude, but hey, maybe that is just me.) Just because YOU do not like the music does not mean that the listeners should be beat, unless you're merely a bully boy. I am sure that a lot of music that you guys listen would be absolute crap to others (and I mean that); that doesn't mean we should send the SWAT team after you.

IMO, it's just common sense. why even bother going to HUGE parties where there is drug use, sexual assualt, and driving under the influence? ...you are just asking for trouble and you KNOW police are going to get involved at some point.

That is an exaggeration of raves and large parties in general. I am sure at a football evet someone has been sexually assaulted, driven under the influence, or use drugs, but you still go, right? (You'll see far more rowdines at football games then any rave, which also have far less alcholo then football games.) You are listening to the media's protrayal of these and other musical events. And not only that, but somehow justifying why strongarm police tactics should be used.

In all honestly, if my child wentwith friends that I trusted and were attending a good, open air rave, I'd trust them going to that more so then a lot of music events. The type of stuff being repeated here is the EXACT same stuff I used to hear about Dead shows, which were some of the safest shows you'd want to go.

There is no evidence that these people were brandishing weapons. And there is no evidence that the police should have expected trouble, and hence, needed dozens of heavily armored police officers. There is not a history of "ravers" having shootouts with police or any other action that would necessitate those actions, such as the strong-armed methods mentioned, or the putting a loaded weapon in someone's face.

The fact that they seized weapons is evidence that people had them. Police "expect" trouble everytime they encounter someone. They ALWAYS have to be on their toes. Their job is a dangerous one.

There may not be a violent history with ravers. There is a history of ravers using drugs however. Drugs, as is their nature, make even the most passive of people unpredictible.

They "needed" dozens of officers because there was 1,500 ravers at the party. how many should they have sent? 20? Even if they sent in 100 officers, that a 15:1 advantage for the ravers.

I wasn't able to see the video because of browser issues at work...if i did, I might agree to some extent with your point of view.

I highly reccommend you take a trip to your local police precinct and sign up to go on a ride-along with an officer. Then you might understand the piles of crap that they have to endure on a nightly/daily basis.

edit: If the police were sent to break up a rock concert, they would wear swat/riot gear in that instance also.

Police officers a cops are constables; they protect and server the public. WE don't serve THEM. they serve US. My granddad (and his brother, my great-uncle) was a cop, and he was well respected by the community. I have his S&W .38 police special, and it is one of my prized possessions. And it brings me great pride when I read articles about his community efforts when he was a police officer. I respect cops - I dont' respect abuse.

It is sometimes forgetten that WE the tax payers are paying police officers. And some of them sometimes forget that as well.

It is not uncommon for a few officers and a fire marshall to clear out a club (or party) with hundreds of people. Either way, I bet merely the presence of uniformed officers and patrol vehicles would be enough to break up a party. Most folks are conditioned to react and obey if a police officer says "time to go." Police do not have easy jobs, but that does not justify if they were being overzealous in this case.

It's not easy to fight a man with a badge and a pistol. :-)

They serve the citizens in their jurisdiction. "Us" is in the context of the civilian population.

I understand your position in this matter. That's not to say i agree with it, but I respect your beliefs.

However, I feel that people are too quick to bash police when there is a mention of "police brutality." I don't deny that there are bad cops out there. But there are many more cops who are good, hard working people just trying to make a livling and go home at the end of their shift. People jumped all over the LAPD after the rodney king video came out. The networks didn't show the part of the video where they attempted to use a taser on him but he was so blasted with PCP that it didn't phase him. All the news showed was cops beating someone.

I believe that many people who attend raves are their for fun. Not to harm people. Drugs just happen to be a way for some of them to have fun. I used to have fun that way. But if you're an officer, you cannot assume people are going to go along peacefully. Sometimes force is necessary. Sometimes not.

I think there is a good possibility that SOME the cops in Utah like to be brutal. But I also believe that some people are going to tell a fish tale when all is said and done.

We just disagree on this issue :cheers:

However, I feel that people are too quick to bash police when there is a mention of "police brutality." I don't deny that there are bad cops out there. But there are many more cops who are good, hard working people just trying to make a livling and go home at the end of their shift. People jumped all over the LAPD after the rodney king video came out. The networks didn't show the part of the video where they attempted to use a taser on him but he was so blasted with PCP that it didn't phase him. All the news showed was cops beating someone.

I agree.

I believe that many people who attend raves are their for fun. Not to harm people. Drugs just happen to be a way for some of them to have fun. I used to have fun that way. But if you're an officer, you cannot assume people are going to go along peacefully. Sometimes force is necessary. Sometimes not.

I think there is a good possibility that SOME the cops in Utah like to be brutal. But I also believe that some people are going to tell a fish tale when all is said and done.

Obviously this is where we disagree. It is my impression that the police, for whatever reasons, were overzealous in their efforts. An overzealousness that easily could have led to a tragedy, and really shocked some of the rave-goers. We have to be careful that police in areas do not decide that they can use whatever tactics they want if no one is aware of their actions. Especially if a department sees this as a litmus test for what is, and what is not, acceptable police actions, or we will see start to see this more and more often.

But I agree to disagree as well. :-)

Citizen, where are your papers? He is delaying. Administer the beatings.

The one thing that didn't really get touched on is the FAR OUT right wing moral superiority of a lot of folks living in Utah. Would love further comment on this by some board members that live out that way.

Loved "a good armored hippie stomp." Classic.

I am a right winger. I AM morally superior to you. I do not need to hire jack-booted thugs to prove it, your immorality will cause you to fail while my superiority will be rewarded. :laugh:

I am a right winger. I AM morally superior to you. I do not need to hire jack-booted thugs to prove it, your immorality will cause you to fail while my superiority will be rewarded. :laugh:

What!?!

Imagine that. Somehow someone in the Tailgate can always bring it back around to politics. I was commenting on the attitudes of people I've met in Utah in general, not right vs. left politics.

If you're trying to be funny, I'm not getting it.

I think the quote you're looking for is "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

And you right-wingers who think you know it all are very annoying to us left-wingers who do.

I can't believe it, but I side with Des and Bac on this one. Raves are normally harmless. Yes, there are drugs present, but no more than I saw in any well known club in Vegas.

The only thing that differs in our opinions is that I can't bash the police in this either because we were not there and thus cannot know all the facts.

Anyone recall the disastrous K-Mart/Sonics raid in Houston?

I'm getting to the point where one day I will applaud a man taking out a squad of police when they break down the wrong door on a no-knock raid looking for banned substances, with their fingers on the trigger to murder a man defending his home.

"I vaz just followink orderz" will no longer be protection.

A couple of articles from the local Paper on this. Somewhat relevant I would think.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2961967

Police raid rave party in Spanish Fork Canyon

Party's over: 90 officers from several agencies cite 60 at the event, which had more than 400 people in attendance

By Michael N. Westley

The Salt Lake Tribune

About 60 people were arrested Saturday night when police officers busted an illegal rave in Spanish Fork Canyon.

Those arrested were cited on a variety of charges including the possession of illegal narcotics, weapons violations, DUI, illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor, disorderly conduct, assaulting a police officer and drug distribution.

The youngest of those cited was 15 years old, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Dan Gilbert.

Police in Utah County have monitored several raves this summer and have grown increasingly concerned about their legality and Related Articles

Ravers say cops were too rough making bust safety, Gilbert said. When detectives got word that another party was planned for Saturday, they set to work to make sure they got their point across that such activity was not welcome in their area.

"The Sheriff's Office will investigate and look into and find an illegal mass gathering going on, we will take the appropriate action to stop the party at that time," Gilbert said.

Investigators learned that no permit had been requested for a mass gathering which requires a bond and Utah County Commission approval for groups larger than 250, said Gilbert. Police learned around noon Saturday that the rave would be held in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon and assembled about 90 officers from several agencies to enforce crowd control.

Undercover officers filtered into the party when the doors opened about 9 p.m. By 11:30 p.m. police confirmed that more than 250 people were in attendance and stormed the party. During their two hours at the DJ-driven dance party, undercover officers had observed a multitude of illegal activities including the sale and consumption of drugs such as cocaine, ecstacy, alcohol, methamphetamine and marijuana.

"The sale of drugs at these parties is so prevalent that at this particular rave party, drugs were offered to local off-duty emergency medical service personnel who were contracted to be there," Gilbert said.

A 17-year-old West Jordan girl overdosed on ecstasy, police said. Most of the participants were between 15 and 30 years old and were from Spanish Fork, Springville, Provo, Payson, as well as Davis and Salt Lake counties, Gilbert said. Two security guards hired by the promotor were arrested for the possession of cocaine and ecstasy and Spanish Fork police made two DUI arrests as partyers drove out of the canyon, he said.

Most of the 400 or so ravers left peacefully.

But others were detained if they had been seen doing something illegal or showed visible signs of impairment, said Gilbert.

In a sweep of the area after the crowd had been controlled, which one raver said was executed with unnecessary force, police found a plethora of drugs and drug paraphernalia scattered on the ground, Gilbert said.

Brett George told Fox News 13 that officers stormed the party and treated attendees unfairly, including beating one man that was trying to film the bust with a video camera.

Police want parents of teenagers to know the dangers of illegal, clandestine rave parties. Gilbert said that in addition to heavy drug use, raves attract sexual assaults, violence, theft and promote unsafe driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2964938

Ravers say cops were too rough making bust

Utah County: Sheriff defends the actions, denies wrongdoing

By Michael N. Westley

The Salt Lake Tribune

Partygoers at a rave in Spanish Fork Canyon that was busted by police Saturday night say officers used brutal and excessive force to clear the crowd.

As many as 90 police officers from several agencies, including SWAT members and major crimes investigators, stormed the DJ-driven dance party around 11:30 p.m. dressed in full SWAT gear and holding automatic weapons.

A helicopter announced the police presence as it crested a nearby hill and began shining a spotlight on the outdoor dance area, said 19-year-old Scott Benton of Logan.

"The cops just came in wearing full Army [camouflage]. It was basically brute force," Benton said. "I had a gun put in my face and was told to get out of there."

Standing in a crowd of people near the main stage, Alisha Matagi says she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when she was thrown to the ground, punched, kicked and handcuffed by police.

"I did absolutely nothing wrong," she said. Matagi was arrested with about 60 other partyers. She was booked into the Utah County Jail on the suspicion of resisting arrest and failing to obey an officer, according to police records.

About 1,000 people were cleared in less than a half-hour from the private ranch owned by the Childs family in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon, rave promoters said. Several party attendees told The Salt Lake Tribune that officers barked orders fraught with profanity, beat people to the ground and used their weapons to intimidate the crowd.

A video of the opening moments of the bust, taken by Jeffrey Coombs and snatched from the ground by another partier as Coombs was tackled, shows the officers using force on individuals as they took over the crowd.

Utah County Sheriff James Tracy said Monday that he had seen the video and called it an accurate representation of the bust.

"I stand by everything that was done there that night. We did use some force. It was appropriate and necessary to take those who were fighting us into custody," Tracy said.

He also said that no officers used profanity as they conversed with partiers, nor did they punch, kick, Mace or use tear gas on any of the attendees.

"It's all a lie and we refute every word of that," said Tracy.

But the video clearly shows an officer using profanity as he demands the music be turned off.

"Turn that off. Turn that music off or I'll take your ass to jail," the officer can be heard saying to the DJ. In the video, the area where people had been dancing transforms into what looks like a battlefield with groups of officers surrounding ravers on the ground, guns drawn and assault dogs in tow.

"I saw a girl tackled to the ground for no reason because she told them not to touch her. It was vicious," Benton said.

Police said the party Saturday night was the third event held in Utah County during the past month. The all-night parties attract a host of illegal activities including drug use, theft, sexual assault and underage drinking, according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Gilbert.

Saturday's party, named Versus II, had been tracked by police for several weeks, Gilbert said. Police planned the bust when they discovered that the rave's promoters had not filed for a mass gathering permit through the County Commission office.

To have more than 250 at an event without that permit is a violation of the law, Gilbert said.

Party promotor Brandon Fullmer said he purchased a mass gathering permit through the Utah County Health Department about three weeks ago. The purchase of that permit, which ensures water, sanitation and medical services, was confirmed by County Health employee Jay Stone.

Fullmer did not know that a similar permit, which requires a security plan and event details, needed to be acquired.

The sheriff had little sympathy for the promoters or those at the rave. "They did nothing more than ensure this was a venue for illegal drug use and consumption," Tracy said. Officers confiscated ecstasy, marijuana, alcohol, cocaine and mushrooms, he said.

Among those arrested for drug possession were several security guards hired by Fullmer to patrol the event. Guards at security check points confiscated alcohol and drugs as ravers filed into the party, Fullmer said.

"[security guards] have no legal statutory authority to take and hold controlled substances. It's against the law for them to have them," Tracy said.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_233220802.html

Some People Claim Abuse At Canyon Party Bust

Save It Email It Print It

About 90 law enforcement officers from multiple agencies broke up what they said was a rave party on public and private property in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork canyon.

Utah County sheriff's Sergeant Darren Gilbert says they made about 60 arrests for weapons offenses, driving under the influence, underage drinking, drug possession and distribution, resisting arrest, assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct.

Some partygoers say that law enforcement used excessive force during arrests at the party. One woman claims she was punched by officers and thrown to the ground.

The Utah County Sheriff says he was there when the arrests occurred and that no excessive force was used by any officer.

Officers say they found cocaine, Ecstasy, marijuana, mushrooms, alcohol and large amounts of drug paraphernalia.

Gilbert says a 17-year-old West Jordan girl was found overdosed on Ecstasy, and was treated and released to her parents.

He said there were more than 250 people at the party. That is the number for which the county requires a permit, bond and county commission approval. Gilbert said the party did not have that approval.

But promoters disagree, saying they spent thousands of dollars to get permits for the event.

“We spent all this money to do things legally and right, and all the sudden it becomes illegal to do something legal,” said party organizer, Nick Mari.

Mari said they hired security to search everyone and confiscate any drugs or alcohol.

OK, so the security guards were taking drugs off of people as they went in, and therefore the promoters are guilty of encouraging drug use?

I also notice that the size of the gathering has grown from "about 400" to "about 1,000".

The promoters hired security, and had EMS standing by. They supposedly had made sanitary arraingments.

Maybe I'm dense, but I'd bet that if, instead of senting in 90 cops in body armor and a chopper, they'd simply assigned 4 cops in uniform, then all the drug dealers, underage drinkers, and so forth would at least have been a lot more discreet.

If the four uniforms had had infiltraters pointing out the folks they'd spotted breaking the law before they showed up, that might've helped clean things up a whole lot, too.

Seriously, charging a bouncer with posession because he "illegally" took drugs away from the crowd?

Archived