Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help needed on TV purchase

Skinned

Hey all,

I know that there have been plenty of previous threads about this, but I have looked in the past and they all seem to drift off and get a little too TV techie for me.

Specifically, I am looking for advice on what you would buy for $1200 if you could. I currently have a 27" Sony Wega CRT and would like to move up in size. Space is not really a factor, so I could go rear projection if it is the best option, although I don't want some mammoth new set that weighs 200lb. I am also hoping to buy something prior to the opening of the reg season (Sept 11).

Thanks!

I saw a nice looking set two weeks ago at circuit city. Panasonic CT-34WX15. It was just under that price. It's a 34" widescreen HDTV.

If you are limited to that price and looking at sony, then you are looking at the 30" Sony KV-30HS420 ($800) and 32" Sony KV-32HS420 ($900). The 30" is a 16:9 wide screen. The 32" is a 4:3 normal screen. Both HD.

I think for the price the Panny was the one I would have gotten at the time.

I'm still waiting on a 42" rear projection though.

With regard to widescreen versus 4:3, I've foudn this comparison to be helfpul:

A 30" widescreen set has a 4.3 area equal to that of a 24.5 inch 4:3 set.

A 34" widescreen set has a 4.3 area equal to that of a 27.8 inch 4:3 set.

A 27" 4.3 set has a widescreen area equal to that of a 24.8 inch 16:9 set.

A 32" 4.3 set has a widescreen area equal to that of a 29.4 inch 16:9 set.

Right now I'm leaning to the 32" Sony HiDef since I only lose .6 inches on widescreen but gain 5.5 inches on 4:3.

Also, what is all the HD-Ready stuff? I dont' want to have to buy something else to watch the regular TV. Does this mean that I'll need a separate tuner to play games in Hi-Def, etc.?

Guys, thanks for the ideas.

A co-worker of mine has helped me this morning to try and narrow it down as well.

For the budget I have, it comes down to what matters more: size of screen or overall size of the set. I told him that i want a larger viewing screen and that the size of the unit was not a huge factor, but I don't want a massive CRT. So, I have been looking at DLP Projection TV's, although it is over my planned budget (up to between $1500-1600)

Here is one I am eyeing:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3339186/search=dlp

$1425 / no tax / no shipping

I just bought a 51" Toshiba from bestbuy for $1200. Its a rear projection but weighs less than my parents 36" tube tv. Probally weights under 150lbs. The picture is very good and the clearity was the nicest that I saw at best buy.

I watched the preseason game on it this weekend and let me tell you man I love that TV. I can't wait to get HD tv hooked up to it.

Originally posted by GoSkinsGo

I just bought a 51" Toshiba from bestbuy for $1200. Its a rear projection but weighs less than my parents 36" tube tv. Probally weights under 150lbs. The picture is very good and the clearity was the nicest that I saw at best buy.

I watched the preseason game on it this weekend and let me tell you man I love that TV. I can't wait to get HD tv hooked up to it.

I assume it is a CRT, right?

Originally posted by Skinned

A co-worker of mine has helped me this morning to try and narrow it down as well.

For the budget I have, it comes down to what matters more: size of screen or overall size of the set. I told him that i want a larger viewing screen and that the size of the unit was not a huge factor, but I don't want a massive CRT. So, I have been looking at DLP Projection TV's, although it is over my planned budget (up to between $1500-1600)

Here is one I am eyeing:

I have the same Toshiba DLP except in 52".

It is a fabulous unit with a stunning picture.

I bought a 46" 16:9 Toshiba HD-Ready TV a month ago. It was on Sale for $999, with a regular price of $1399.

I love it, perfect size for the room(actually a little bigger then I needed, considering the relative location of where the Couches are)

It has an HDMI input, and it came with a free HDMI dvd player, so when I watch DVDs the picture is crystal clear.

If I wanted to spend the extra cheddar for a Hi-Def Receiver, I would only get about 12 channels out of the 500 in Hi-Def anyway, so I skipped it.

Here is one I am eyeing:

Look to purchase online, a lot of times there are online-ONLY sales, or it will come with free accessories.

Mine came with a free upconvert-DVD player, which is a $150 value.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

I have the same Toshiba DLP except in 52".

It is a fabulous unit with a stunning picture.

Great to hear! I think this is the one I am getting.

Any chance you got the matching stand? If so, how is it?

Hey all,

I know that there have been plenty of previous threads about this, but I have looked in the past and they all seem to drift off and get a little too TV techie for me.

Specifically, I am looking for advice on what you would buy for $1200 if you could. I currently have a 27" Sony Wega CRT and would like to move up in size. Space is not really a factor, so I could go rear projection if it is the best option, although I don't want some mammoth new set that weighs 200lb. I am also hoping to buy something prior to the opening of the reg season (Sept 11).

Thanks!

I have a Mitsubishi 55" set, that was purchased 3 years ago and is an awesome set, however every year they come out with new and better TV's. I would go to the Big Screen Store across from White Flint mall. They have excellent service and TV's.

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

I have a Mitsubishi 55" set, that was purchased 3 years ago and is an awesome set, however every year they come out with new and better TV's. I would go to the Big Screen Store across from White Flint mall. They have excellent service and TV's.

Good suggestion. I am right by there so I will definitely go check it out. How are there prices?

Great to hear! I think this is the one I am getting.

Any chance you got the matching stand? If so, how is it?

I did not. I got one of the first models shipped from Japan to California. The stands were not available yet. I did get a complimentary stand though.

You do know that you can move up to the 52" for a few more bucks? It is now about $1750.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived