Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaza Pullout Begins

visionary

Historic Gaza pullout begins

BREAKING NEWS

Israel officially began its historic pullout from Gaza Sunday night at the stroke of midnight (5 p.m. ET). The Kissufim Crossing was closed as part of the military ceremony marking the beginning of its pullout from Gaza. But the looming possibility of violence from settlers and their ultranationalist supporters on one side, and Palestinian militant groups on the other, threatened to overshadow the optimistism that the move could help the peace process.

Historic Gaza pullout nears

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Palestinian security forces and Israeli troops said they had deployed near Jewish settlements on Sunday, just hours ahead of Israel's historic pullout from Gaza.

Israel is also withdrawing from four Jewish settlements in the West Bank -- like Gaza -- land Israel has occupied since the 1967 Six-Day War.

The withdrawal -- backed by Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon -- officially begins at midnight, (5 p.m. ET) when Israel will seal off all 21 Gaza settlements, barring anyone from entering.

On Monday, Israel plans to announce it is illegal for settlers -- numbering approximately 8,500 -- to remain in Gaza.

Many Gaza settlers are being forced to leave against their wishes, after living for decades in the Israeli occupied territory.

Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz said Sunday the four West Bank settlements -- which are among 120 -- will be vacated after the completion of withdrawal from the Gaza settlements.

He predicted that about half the Gaza settlers will leave voluntarily. Those who don't may be removed by force as early as Wednesday.

About 20,000 Palestinian police and security forces are expected to play a role in the pullout -- 7,500 of them were deployed Sunday near Jewish settlements in southern Gaza, Palestinian security sources said.

They will focus largely on preventing attacks from militants and working to ensure that Palestinians who may move into evacuated areas are safe.

Israeli troops, larger in number and with much more training, are focusing largely on preventing violence from settlers and protecting them from militants.

Israeli government officials have said they hope the withdrawal will change the political landscape of the Middle East, opening the way for resumption of peace negotiations with the Palestinian Authority.

Israeli Defense Minister Shaoul Mofaz has predicted in the past that all settlers will be out of Gaza within a month of disengagement.

Israel also plans to have its troops withdrawn from Gaza by the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, in the beginning of October.

But the challenge has grown as thousands of anti-withdrawal activists have flocked into Gaza in recent days. Halutz said about 5,000 Israeli youths who are not settlers are inside Gaza.

While many settlers express religious fervor and a belief that Gaza is part of the historic Jewish homeland, some secular Israelis expressing nationalist sentiment have come to fight the pullout.

One of their chief arguments: That leaving Gaza after years of terrorist attacks by Palestinian militant groups will only reward terrorism and lead to similar tactics by groups wanting to destroy Israel.

Soldiers wounded

Five Israeli soldiers were wounded Sunday when an Israeli tank aiming at a Palestinian gunman mistakenly hit Israeli troops. The soldiers had arrived at a building where the gunman was hiding in Kfar Darom, central Gaza, Israeli military officials said.

Because of the shootout, Israel closed the Gush Katif junction as a security measure. With the junction closed, Palestinian security forces could not get to certain deployment destinations near settlements.

Israel asked Palestinian leadership to wait with those deployments until after a meeting between top Israeli and Palestinian commanders in the region.

Once the Israeli military's Gaza division commander Aviv Kochavi met with his Palestinian counterpart, Gush Katif was reopened, and Palestinian security forces dispatched troops to areas near the settlements.

Israeli military officials said the meeting between the two figures was successful, and that the two discussed final deployment plans.

Palestinian security on alert

Despite complaints about a lack of equipment, Palestinian Authority security forces Saturday were on high alert, stationed outside settlements across Gaza to prevent violence in preparation for the withdrawal of Israeli troops and thousands of Jewish settlers.

Most of the settlers -- about 8,500 -- are to be evacuated from Gaza, where Israel has been closely coordinating with Palestinian security forces. A joint information and coordination center has been established at Erez Crossing along the northern Gaza-Israel border.

However, a senior Palestinian minister told CNN's Ben Wedeman that Palestinian security forces in Gaza have been forced to buy bullets on the black market for about $8 each because Israel's military is not providing any ammunition for the ill-equipped forces.

The atmosphere among many Palestinians is jubilant, seeing the pullout of Jewish settlers as a victory. At Gaza City's fishermen's harbor Friday, a crowd waved Palestinian flags in an official celebration of the withdrawal. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addressed the crowd and was given a hero's welcome.

Hamas leaders have quietly told the Palestinian Authority they will not disrupt the withdrawal process, but not everyone trusts that pledge.

In a news conference Saturday, senior Hamas member Ismail Haniyye called the withdrawal a "retreat" and said it was "a result of resistance and our people's sacrifice."

"It is evidence that resistance is able to achieve our national goals," he said.

He also vowed that the armed struggle against the Jewish state would continue, despite the pullout.

"Hamas confirms its adherence to resistance as a strategic option until the occupation retreats from our lands and holy places," senior Hamas member Ismail Haniyye said. "Our movement reaffirms that it will protect its military apparatus and Al Qassam Brigades and its weapons and keep them for defending our land."

Hamas, a Palestinian Islamic fundamentalist organization, has been labeled by the U.S. State Department as a terrorist organization. The group's military wing, Izzedine al Qassam, has admitted responsibility for terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians as well as attacks against the Israeli military.

There is an obviously grimmer mood among the settlers, and many of them have promised to resist.

"We're going to have to tell the government, 'No you cannot take us out of Gush Katif,' " settler Rachel Saperstein said. "We are going to stay here as long as possible, as long as our food supply holds out, our water supply and beyond that."

Peres warns troops of violence

Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres met with troops Sunday at the Kissufim border crossing in Gaza, warning that they may face violence from settlers or ultranationalist supporters.

"You are saving the state of Israel," Peres said. "Israel has dangers from the outside, and [israel Defense Forces] face them all. And now, we have a danger from the inside, and now the IDF has to deal with that as well."

"There is no sense whatsoever to remain here," he added. "The settlers do not have a future in the Gaza Strip, because they cannot live as an isolated group of people 8,000-strong among a million-and-a-half Palestinians who live in poverty and protest and unemployment."

Possible turning point

Sharon, who has invested much of his political future in the pullout's success, has said it may jump-start peace efforts between Israel and the Palestinian Authority. Although Palestinian leaders criticized Sharon for making the plan unilaterally -- rather than as part of brokered talks -- they also have expressed hope that, after 38 years in Gaza, Israel's evacuation may create a turning point.

The Bush administration supports the plan. In an interview last week with Israel's Channel 1 TV, Bush called the decision "bold."

"The disengagement is, I think, a part of making Israel more secure and peaceful, and I agree with the prime minister," Bush said. "I can understand why people think this decision is one that will create a vacuum into which terrorism will flow. I happen to disagree. I think this will create an opportunity for democracy to emerge. And democracies are peaceful."

CNN's Ben Wedeman contributed to this report.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/14/gaza.pullout/index.html

"There is no sense whatsoever to remain here," he added. "The settlers do not have a future in the Gaza Strip, because they cannot live as an isolated group of people 8,000-strong among a million-and-a-half Palestinians who live in poverty and protest and unemployment."

What a moron. No, the reason they cannot remain there as an isolated group is because they will be exterminated at the first opportunity. Not because Palestinians are 'poor' or 'unemployed.' What leftist nonsense.

I'd say that's about as moronic as the right wing nationalist nutjobs who are saying this is giving the terrorists a victory.

Also, in that quote I think the threat of extermination is implicit in the idea that these poor may not have the guns but they have the numbers.

I'm sorry I don't mean to stir anything up here, but I have been trying to research on this whole Israel and Palestinian conflict, however I am totally clueless as to what in the hell the media keeps on spewing. Obviously it's about occupation of Holy land for both the Jews and the Muslims but I don't know exactly what's going on there. Can somebody sum this up for me please? The media really has covered this topic extensively, but always assumes that view already is up to date about the current situation and they are adding to a long history of events with their news coverage. Thanks in advance guys.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

What a moron. No, the reason they cannot remain there as an isolated group is because they will be exterminated at the first opportunity. Not because Palestinians are 'poor' or 'unemployed.' What leftist nonsense.

Exactly.

The fact of the matter is, Israel should be moving troops in rather than moving civilians out. As far as I'm concerned, Israel should be in Gaza, the West Bank, and the Sinai. They won that land fair and square. If the land meant so damn much to the Arabs, then they should have never ganged up on Israel and given them a reason to take it. But of course, the Palestinians do a damn good job playing victim, so the bleeding hearts will continue to condemn Israel while 15 year olds in the West Bank build bombs to kill 10 year old Israelis.

From CNN.com

"BREAKING NEWS

Violence hits Gaza pullout

Jewish settlers remaining in Gaza rioted as the Israeli military began its evacuation of the territory, while other residents came under fire from Palestinian militants, Israeli police said. There were no immediate reports of injuries from any of those incidents, which took place just hours after Israel closed the Kissufim border crossing that settlers used to enter Gaza. Israeli troops and Palestinian police had been coordinating efforts to crack down on any possible violence"

Originally posted by visionary

From CNN.com

"BREAKING NEWS

Violence hits Gaza pullout

Jewish settlers remaining in Gaza rioted as the Israeli military began its evacuation of the territory, while other residents came under fire from Palestinian militants, Israeli police said. There were no immediate reports of injuries from any of those incidents, which took place just hours after Israel closed the Kissufim border crossing that settlers used to enter Gaza. Israeli troops and Palestinian police had been coordinating efforts to crack down on any possible violence"

That didn't take long:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sarge

That didn't take long:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's not like nobody saw it comming, or anything.

-----

I've got to respect Sharon. Lots of folks (including lots of "Palestenian supporters") are real big on saying they want peace. But this is one heck of a gutsy move.

If it works, if they can get a stable peace with the Palestenians, then he's the Man of the Century.

If it doesn't, then he's almost as big a sucker as Mike Ditka was for the Ricky Williams deal.

Originally posted by Larry

Yeah, it's not like nobody saw it comming, or anything.

-----

I've got to respect Sharon. Lots of folks (including lots of "Palestenian supporters") are real big on saying they want peace. But this is one heck of a gutsy move.

If it works, if they can get a stable peace with the Palestenians, then he's the Man of the Century.

If it doesn't, then he's almost as big a sucker as Mike Ditka was for the Ricky Williams deal.

The question is, why give people like that a state?

The alternative is exterminate them.

(It's been tried.)

I don't understand your logic. These people mercilessly murder innocents, hell, they practically get off on it, and you want to reward them with a state of their own? Is state-sponsored terrorism better than what's going on now?

While these people obviously don't deserve genocide (despite the fact that they believe the Jews do), they deserve it a hell of alot more than they deserve their own state.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I'd say that's about as moronic as the right wing nationalist nutjobs who are saying this is giving the terrorists a victory.

Also, in that quote I think the threat of extermination is implicit in the idea that these poor may not have the guns but they have the numbers.

What on earth makes you think "these poor" don't have guns? or RPGs, or mortars or rockets? Have you not been paying attention?

The alternative is exterminate them.

(It's been tried.)

No, it hasn't either been tried.

But if anyone is making a good case that it should be tried, it's the Palestinians.

blue talon, it was a literary turn of phrase, meant to evoke the fact that the israeli army posesses better weapons technology. The masses of palestinians are not armend with the latest technology, but they could absolutely destroy 8000 israeli settlers if they chose to remain. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. They may have both the guns and the numbers.

As for genocide, I'm glad that this is being tried first.

Ignatius, the subtlety of your "literary turn of phrase" was lost after your first sentence turned the phrase "moronic as the right wing nationalist nutjobs..."

Larry, the last time Israel wanted to give the Palestinians just about everything they wanted, the Palestinians responded with the Intifada. This move by Sharon may be gutsy, but it's gutsy in the insane or suicidal sense -- it's not something that's terribly deserving of respect, IMO.

Having said that, there is a difference between then and now, and that is that the former lunatic leader of Palestine, Arafat, is dead (may he rest in pieces). So maybe there is a chance.

Originally posted by Chopper Dave

I don't understand your logic. These people mercilessly murder innocents, hell, they practically get off on it, and you want to reward them with a state of their own? Is state-sponsored terrorism better than what's going on now?

While these people obviously don't deserve genocide (despite the fact that they believe the Jews do), they deserve it a hell of alot more than they deserve their own state.

Y'know, someday, when my absolute genius is recognised by the entire world, rather than just the folks on Extremeskins, (and when you lucke people are trying to live off of my fame by writing books like "I knew Larry when . . . "), the rule that I most dearly want associated with my name is:

Anybody who begins a statement with the words "these people" is a bigot, and his statement is wrong.

"These people" don't "mercilessly murder innocents". One percent of one percent of "these people" do.

A much larger percentage of "these people" support the smaller group (let's call the smaller group "the terrorists").

But frankly, people support terrorists because they think they don't have any other way to be heard.

(The terrorists, and the surrounding nations, know this. That's why their "arab brothers" have been keeping "these people" living in tents, and in poverty: So that they'll look and feel more pitifull. I am not saying that the "Palestenian plight" is entirely (or even mostly) Israel's fault. But it is Israel's problem.)

(That's also why I think it's a safe bet, for example, that if these settlements aren't destroyed by disgruntled, evacuated, Israelis, then they will be destroyed by "Palestenians" who don't want Joe Palestenian to have a nice place to live.)

In all fairness to history, we have to remember that history of Palestine, its partition, and the displacement of Palestinians, many of whom are still alive and lived in the Israel region. Now, that being said, it does not mean that the radical justification to "push Israel to the sea" is justified, but there is bloody history on both sides. I wrote a paper in college that discussed some of the atrocities on both sides, in particular the Zionists (Zionism is a political movement and just not used by Jew-haters) that killed Palestinian villagers in the early history of the Israeli state, even before its partition. That would give some insight on why some of their Arab neighbors haven't always been friendly to the Israeli state, and it isn't just about the Jewish faith, since Jewish families have been living in Israel/Palestine before its creation.

The subject of Israel is such a sensitive issue that its hard to discuss such history without being seen in the light of being anti-jewish or somehow advocating the destruction of Israel. After all, it takes two to tango.

Incidentally, the average Palestinian is too busy trying to survive to join some jihad. But create a reason for anger, and demogogues will use that as a tool for their own objectives. We'll see if this is indeed a first step towards settlement, but it's a question of whether or not radicals on either side will allow that to happen.

Y'know, someday, when my absolute genius is recognised by the entire world, rather than just the folks on Extremeskins, (and when you lucke people are trying to live off of my fame by writing books like "I knew Larry when . . . "), the rule that I most dearly want associated with my name is:

Anybody who begins a statement with the words "these people" is a bigot, and his statement is wrong.

what if these people refers to a group, like Al Queada or the NRA and the statement is, THESE people want to kill Americans, or THESE people like guns or at least want to be allowed to have some.

Or what if "these people" is followed by "generally", or "on the most part"

;)

But frankly, people support terrorists because they think they don't have any other way to be heard.

(The terrorists, and the surrounding nations, know this. That's why their "arab brothers" have been keeping "these people" living in tents, and in poverty: So that they'll look and feel more pitifull. I am not saying that the "Palestenian plight" is entirely (or even mostly) Israel's fault. But it is Israel's problem.)

(That's also why I think it's a safe bet, for example, that if these settlements aren't destroyed by disgruntled, evacuated, Israelis, then they will be destroyed by "Palestenians" who don't want Joe Palestenian to have a nice place to live.)

Not having any other way of being heard, or that perception, are not the reason that people support terrorists. They either buy into the hate that allows people to intentionally blow innocents to bits, or they are oblivious to the results of their support by keeping the blinders on, similar to the way the neighbors of the Auschwitz did.

I think you're right, though, about radical Palestinians being the average Palestinians worst enemy.

It was the same situation in Kosovo. The Albanian population had the same legal access to the health care system the Serbs used, but they were prevented from using it. Not by the Serbs, but by the KLA.

In the minds of these radicals, the average person on their own side is just so much sacrificial fodder. If that doesn't describe evil, I don't know what does.

On the issue of state...yes they should be given a state. Give me one good reason why people should be under the control of a theocracy that does not represent them? Give them their own state and hold them accountable for any acts of war. Which brings me to my next point....

Stop crying about peace. Israel has to defend itself and has every right to do so. We only encourage violence against Israeli people by preaching restraint when logic tells us otherwise. When Al Qaeda attacked us did Israel offer to host talk between Bush and Bin Laden to work out our differences on paper? NO. The US needs to stop preaching to other nations that are victims of terror.

We have our own problems to worry about, let Israel deal with it's own crisis as they see fit and are capable of doing.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050815/D8C0DDVG0.html

Hamas activists in Gaza City hung banners Monday proclaiming the pullout was a result of attacks by militants on Israelis. "The blood of martyrs has led to liberation," one banner said.[/Quote]

NEVE DEKALIM, Gaza Strip (AP) - Tearful Jewish settlers locked gates at their communities, formed human chains and burned tires to block troops from delivering eviction notices Monday as Israel began to pull out from the Gaza Strip after 38 years of occupation.

Police and soldiers waited patiently in the sweltering sun and avoided confrontations at the behest of their commanders. At one spot, a sobbing settler pleaded with a general not to evict him before the two men embraced.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in a televised speech Monday that the Gaza pullout was a painful step, both for the nation and for himself, but that it was essential for Israel's future.

A grim-looking Sharon said it is now up to the Palestinians to clamp down on militants and stop violence. "To an outstretched hand we will respond with an olive branch," he said.

Over the next three weeks, Israel plans to dismantle all 21 Jewish settlements in Gaza and four in the northern West Bank. The withdrawal marks the first time Israel is giving up settlements on land claimed by the Palestinians for their future state.

While Sharon says the pullout will improve Israel's security, Jewish settlers fiercely opposed the plan and promised stiff, but nonviolent resistance.

But in a sign that at least some of the holdouts might leave by a Wednesday deadline, protesters permitted a convoy of moving trucks to enter the Neve Dekalim settlement Monday afternoon.

"It's a painful and difficult day, but it's a historic day," Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said.

For most of his political career, Sharon had led Jewish settlement expansion in the West Bank and Gaza. As recently as two years ago, he said Israel would not give up even small, isolated Gaza settlements.

"But the changing reality in the nation, region and world made me change my mind and change my position," Sharon said in his address Monday. "We cannot hold Gaza for good. More that a million Palestinains live there, doubling their numbers every generation."

In Gaza City, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas set Jan. 21 as the date for long-delayed legislative elections.

The order was meant to show that the Palestinians are on the road to establishing a democracy, said Saeb Erekat, a government spokesman. "Those who want to seek power need to do so through the ballot box, not bullets," he said.

The elections were originally scheduled for July 17. Palestinian officials said the delay was for technical reasons, but the militant group Hamas accused Abbas of seeking time to shore up support for his embattled Fatah party. Hamas still plans to field candidates.

Hamas activists in Gaza City hung banners Monday proclaiming the pullout was a result of attacks by militants on Israelis. "The blood of martyrs has led to liberation," one banner said.

But the group said it had no plans to carry out attacks during Israel's withdrawal - an act that Israel warned would bring a harsh retaliation.

"If the Israelis evacuate the Gaza Strip quietly, I think there is no single person among our people who will obstruct or violate this evacuation," said Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri.

Israeli troops fired in the air Monday to keep back hundreds of Palestinians, including a few dozen masked gunmen, who marched toward southern Gaza's Gush Katif group of settlements in celebration of the impending withdrawal. The crowd burned a cardboard model of an Israeli settlement, complete with an army watchtower.

With some 50,000 soldiers and police involved, the withdrawal was Israel's largest-ever noncombat military operation.

Israeli troops who fanned out across the Gaza Strip delivered eviction notices in six settlements, but met protests in others. The notices gave settlers until midnight Tuesday to leave. If they ignore the deadline, they will be removed by force and could lose up to a third of the compensation being offered by the government for giving up their homes.

Although many of Gaza's 8,500 settlers already left, the army estimated thousands remained, bolstered by some 5,000 hard-liners who came to help residents resist the pullout.

Settlers were defiant at Gush Katif. Hundreds blocked the gates of Neve Dekalim, Gaza's largest settlement, to prevent troops from entering.

Dozens of men, wearing white prayer shawls, held morning prayers at the gate, appealing for divine intervention to block the withdrawal. Youths wearing orange, the color of defiance, sat on the streets and yelled at soldiers. "You're a partner to a crime," one screamed.

Troops moved into the community through a second entrance, only to be blocked by crowds who burned tires, formed human chains and scuffled with soldiers. When a small group of soldiers managed to enter, settlers took the eviction notices and burned them. One policeman was covered in green paint thrown by protesters.

Despite the standoff, there were signs that residents would leave before the deadline. After negotiations with police, protesters in Neve Dekalim allowed a large convoy of moving trucks to enter through the main gate, though young activists sporadically blocked the vehicles. Army officials said at least 200 settler families throughout Gaza had asked for assistance in moving their belongings.

"This morning, the people stood up to the police and it was a victory. Now the (shipping) containers are coming in. It is heartbreaking and negative," said Yosef Meron, 68, of Neve Dekalim.

Military commanders listened to the settlers' appeals, but said they would not be deterred.

Maj. Gen. Dan Harel, Israel's commander over the Gaza region, said the operation was going as anticipated. "Our estimation is that by tomorrow night most of the residents will agree to leave," he said.

Harel attempted to talk to residents of Neve Dekalim, but was whisked away by police after he was confronted by angry settlers.

At the isolated Morag settlement, hundreds of people blocked troops at the gate. One man, identified by Israeli media as Liron Zeidan, burst into tears as he pleaded with officers not to remove him from his home.

"I am not your enemy. I served as an officer under you," the man told Brig. Gen. Erez Zuckerman, commander of the army unit waiting at the gate.

Zuckerman listened and wiped sweat off his brow, then hugged the young man. "We love you, you are part of us," he told the assembled settlers.

Resistance was much more subdued in the settlements of Nissanit, Elei Sinai and Dugit, secular communities in northern Gaza that were virtually empty.

In Nissanit, four soldiers came to the home of Yitzhak and Avigail Dadon, a couple in their 70s who said they would leave before the deadline. Avigail Dadon cried, and a female soldier stood up to hug her.

Two residents entered an abandoned home, took out a hammer and smashed the mirrors, doors and windows. Some homes were covered in graffiti, including one that read "Sharon is a Nazi."

Soldiers also had eviction notices for four small West Bank settlements slated for evacuation. They chose not to enter two of the communities, Sanur and Homesh, where hard-line extremists were holed up. The army instead planned to hand the orders to community leaders.

Abbas issued a statement praising the pullout but said it must be followed by more.

"The Israeli withdrawal which starts today is a very important and historical step, but it is an initial step that should take place not only in Gaza, but in the West Bank and East Jerusalem," he said.

The Palestinians fear the withdrawal is a ploy by Sharon to get rid of areas he doesn't consider crucial to Israel while consolidating control of parts of the West Bank, where the vast majority of the 240,000 Jewish settlers live.

Archived