Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn.com Training Camp Preview

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp05/news/story?id=2115813&num=0

Nothing extremely special, but whatever...

Washington Redskins

Key veteran additions: LB Brian Allen; TE Billy Baber; S Tony Dixon; WR Kevin Dyson; WR Jimmy Farris; RB Brock Forsey; CB Artrell Hawkins; LB Warrick Holdman; WR Santana Moss; WR David Patten; S Pierson Prioleau; C Casey Rabach.

Key veteran departures: WR Laveranues Coles; DT Jermaine Haley; QB Tim Hasselbeck; PK Ola Kimrin; RB-KR Chad Morton; OT Vaughn Parker; LB Antonio Pierce; RB John Simon; CB Fred Smoot.

Most significant changes: The losses of MLB Pierce and CB Smoot leave two positions in doubt one year after the team made tremendous strides on defense under the guidance of Gregg Williams. With injuries and question marks among players looking to fill the voids there, one has to wonder if the team can still be a top-10 defense. On offense, look for Joe Gibbs to alter his running game some to take advantage of Clinton Portis' strengths; that means more stretch plays and straight-ahead runs and fewer counters and traps. The shotgun, which Gibbs shunned for years, also could be featured.

Reasons for optimism: The offensive line appears much stronger at right tackle and center with Jon Jansen back from injury and Rabach on board. That will allow better run-blocking (Portis averaged a disappointing 3.8 yards per carry) and pass protection (38 sacks allowed). Williams has been an inventive and creative coach in the past, and he should be able to conjure up something to keep his unit competitive.

Cause for concern: QB Patrick Ramsey has a major-league fastball, but his control (read: accuracy) remains a question. The reports on him in mini-camp were good, but he always has been a good practice performer. Ramsey must harness his good skills and improve his decision making for this team to win. With first-round pick Jason Campbell breathing down his neck, can Ramsey handle the pressure? It also remains to be seen how several smallish receivers factor in together, which could be difficult if teams blitz Ramsey and force him to make tough, tight passes to his hot reads on short routes.

Battle to watch: Middle linebacker is a country-mile wide open. The candidates: Mike Barrow, Lemar Marshall, Brandon Barnes, Robert McCune and Clifton Smith. And don't rule out Holdman … or Jared Newberry. It's anyone's guess right now who will end up starting, and it's highly unlikely given the injury histories and relative inexperience of some of the group that there will be one starter for 16 games this season.

Don't be surprised if … LaVar Arrington and the Redskins -- still embroiled in a contract grievance over a $6.5 million bonus payment -- kiss and make up during camp. The two sides need each other, and the matter has gone on long enough to hurt the reputations of both.

You know it's kind of funny how our team is evolving into a real Gibbs team. No longer are we seeing faces of atheletic stardom and celebrities coming to get paid. We got a bunch of lunch pail, blue collar, hard workers. It just 'feels' like a real Gibbs team, or the beginning of one. Hopefully we'll get the same results as his first time around with our team.

Originally posted by DjKam1

You know it's kind of funny how our team is evolving into a real Gibbs team. No longer are we seeing faces of atheletic stardom and celebrities coming to get paid. We got a bunch of lunch pail, blue collar, hard workers. It just 'feels' like a real Gibbs team, or the beginning of one. Hopefully we'll get the same results as his first time around with our team.

seems like it overally, but we still got Taylor (with pending problems), Portis, and Lavar (more problems there). Now Lavar is still a team player in that he wants to play, so I got no beef with him. Portis I think is a team player more cause he is tied to the team for a while by a contract and hefty bonus. Taylor, well, I still like the guy, but who effin knows.

Other than that, we really seem to have mostly hard workers overall.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

If Ramsey was such a good practice performer then why didn't he win the job last training camp?

Thats what I was just thinking. Ramsey stunk it up last year during the preseason. Which is why we had the enjoyment of watching Brunnell for half the season

:logo:

That was at least some better reading material. The article was more detailed than most. But for the most part it still brought up the same old questions...can Ramsey get rid of his old, bad habits and can the defense be as good as last year? The one thing that I guess that I am tired of reading about is Smoot and Pierce leaving. "Can the team still be a top 10 defense"? I just dont understand why sports writers can not remember that Pierce was a no name before Greg Williams arrived. There are players in camp with just as much and more talent than Pierce. G.Williams and D.Lindsey will pick a diamond in the rough and I actually dont think that the group is that rough. I think that Holdman is going to surprise alot of people. Also, coach Williams and CO. brought in a so called "aging and injury prone" Shawn Springs and made out quite well. I believe and so should these writers, that the same coaches, G.Williams, D.Walker and all of the rest are still capable of evaluating talent to fill positions of need. Walt Harris has proven that he wants to start and is capable of doing so. The great thing is that even if he does'nt pan out to be all that the coaches hoped that he would, they can always turn to the stud rookie C.Rogers. The bottom line here seems to be that these writers are either too young or did not research enough to know that coach Gibbs adjusts. He did so in the beginning of his first career in the NFL and he is doing so in his second.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp05/news/story?id=2115813&num=0

......one has to wonder if the team can still be a top-10 defense.

Pierce and Smoot must have made the difference from #3 in the NFL to now potentially below 10. It's amazing at how shallow these writers are and how they do not credit the schemes of GW, nor the playmaking abilities of nine other Redskins on the Defense.

Originally posted by flexxskins

The bottom line here seems to be that these writers are either too young or did not research enough to know that coach Gibbs adjusts. He did so in the beginning of his first career in the NFL and he is doing so in his second.

It's O.K., They will see just how much adjusting Gibbs does when the season starts. I don't see them showing off too much in the preseason. But they will see the changes come opening day.

Here is to the start of the next great Gibbs era:cheers:

Originally posted by VaBeachSkinzFan

It's O.K., They will see just how much adjusting Gibbs does when the season starts. I don't see them showing off too much in the preseason. But they will see the changes come opening day.

Here is to the start of the next great Gibbs era:cheers:

Here here:cheers:

My concern with losing Smoot and Pierce is not so much with losing them but losing quality depth. So we have somebody to step in for them or atleast we think we do. The amazing thing last year was the depth on D. How many safeties did we go though?

Originally posted by gbear

My concern with losing Smoot and Pierce is not so much with losing them but losing quality depth. So we have somebody to step in for them or atleast we think we do. The amazing thing last year was the depth on D. How many safeties did we go though?

But we replaced both.

Originally posted by TLusby

Pierce and Smoot must have made the difference from #3 in the NFL to now potentially below 10. It's amazing at how shallow these writers are and how they do not credit the schemes of GW, nor the playmaking abilities of nine other Redskins on the Defense.

It's not that far off to think they could.

MLB and CB are two of the most important positions on D in the NFL today.

Your MLB quarterbacks your defense, and with the rules the way they are now, a CB who can cover without getting penalties is priceless.

**** rest of the NFC East ****

Let's get it started

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys

Key veteran additions: QB Drew Bledsoe; NT Jason Ferguson; CB Aaron Glenn; CB Anthony Henry; S Izell Reese; OG Marco Rivera; RB Anthony Thomas.

Key veteran departures: FB Richie Anderson; LB Dexter Coakley; C Gennaro DiNapoli; S Tony Dixon; RB Eddie George; CB Pete Hunter; RB ReShard Lee; QB Vinny Testaverde; DE Marcellus Wiley; WR Randal Williams; S Darren Woodson.

Most significant change: The switch to the 3-4 defense. The move was confirmed when the team signed Ferguson and used six of its eight draft picks to help make the transition. Bill Parcells is well-versed in the 3-4, but coordinator Mike Zimmer had never coached it, so Parcells' message to Zimmer after the season was to learn everything he could about it.

Reasons for optimism: Parcells now has a running game he can count on with Julius Jones, Thomas and rookie Marion Barber, so the need to lean on the pass every game could be history. The coach also is counting on having some key veterans back from injury -- Terry Glenn, Dan Campbell, et al. -- who will help make this a more complete team.

Causes for concern: Making the switch to the 3-4 will not just require a flip of a switch. Most of the veterans have not played in a two-gap defense, and the Cowboys are banking on first-round pick Demarcus Ware to fill the critical ROLB spot. There are a few question marks at the LB positions, and some D-linemen, such as Greg Ellis and La'Roi Glover, who are not crazy about going away from a 4-3, worry that their playing time will diminish considerably. The lack of a deep receiver other than Glenn could be an issue.

Battle to watch: All eyes will be on right offensive tackle when camp opens. It was a trouble spot all of last season, and there is no clear front-runner right now. Torrin Tucker has ability, and Kurt Vollers at least understands his assignments, but the team has confirmed Larry Allen will get a look there.

Don't be surprised if … Allen becomes the starting right tackle. The team feels it has depth at guard (Andre Gurode, Ben Noll, Stephen Peterman, etc.) with the addition of Marco Rivera, and sources close to the team have been raving about Allen's new attitude this offseason. He has been a regular at the team's workout facility, focusing on aerobic activities such as the treadmill and stair-stepper. Though Allen was a Pro Bowler last season, some felt the selection was unwarranted. If his new approach is any indication, the Cowboys essentially could be adding two Pro Bowl linemen -- Allen and Rivera -- this fall.

New York Giants

Key veteran additions: WR Plaxico Burress; DT Kendrick Clancy; PK Jay Feely; QB Tim Hasselbeck; OT Kareem McKenzie; LB Antonio Pierce; OT Bob Whitfield.

Key veteran departures: DE Lorenzo Bromell; DT Martin Chase; CB Terry Cousin; RB Ron Dayne; DT Norman Hand; WR Ike Hilliard; DT-DE Lance Legree; LB-S Wesly Mallard; TE Marcellus Rivers; OG Barry Stokes; S Omar Stoutmire; QB Kurt Warner; DE Keith Washington.

Most significant change: This year, it's Eli Manning's team. So much of Tom Coughlin's first training camp last summer was spent dealing with questions about who was in the lead to be the starting QB -- Warner or Manning. Every practice snap, red-zone possession and two-minute drill was dissected by the coaches, media and players, and it was a huge distraction. Now, Manning -- who has been among the most diligent Giants this offseason -- has the starting role and can focus on building a rapport with his teammates and work on improving without any concern about someone taking his job.

Reasons for optimism: Despite having only four draft picks and not being noted as a team that typically makes major moves in free agency, the Giants solved some key areas of concern with the additions of ORT McKenzie, WR Burress, MLB Pierce and PK Feely. All four rookies will have a chance to compete as well, and all of a sudden, some classic Giants ills appear to be remedied.

Cause for concern: The defensive line is a big question mark. DE Michael Strahan, 33, is coming off a season-ending pectoral injury. Osi Umenyiora has great upside but has less than a full season of starting experience. And DTs Fred Robbins, William Joseph, Clancy and a handful of no-names hardly make for a thrilling group. The team was bad against the run last season and awful defensively in the red area. The D-line must overachieve, tackle and take on blockers better to improve those areas. Having better health would be a good start.

Battles to watch: It might not be at the most essential spots, but it will be interesting to see how the safety positions shake out. SS Shaun Williams (who restructured his deal in the offseason to stay with the Giants) has had season-ending injuries on each knee in each of the past two seasons. Veteran Brent Alexander, who started 16 games, told PFW this offseason he prefers to play free safety but would, as he did last year, switch to strong safety if needed. Gibril Wilson, appearing healthy following a neck injury, played superbly for half a season as a rookie. So who starts? Best guess: Wilson and Alexander begin the year at strong safety and free safety, respectively, but Williams will factor in heavily.

Don't be surprised if … a healthy Amani Toomer takes it upon himself to prove he's the No. 1 receiver on this club, using the acquisition of Burress as motivation and showing he can still play as Manning rounds into form.

Philadelphia Eagles

Key veteran additions: QB Mike McMahon; TE James Whalen.

Key veteran departures: OT Ian Allen; DE Derrick Burgess; C Alonzo Ephraim; RB Dorsey Levens; ORG Jermane Mayberry; WR Freddie Mitchell; LB Ike Reese; LB Nate Wayne.

Most significant change: The losses of Pro Bowlers Mayberry and Reese, fixtures for years on the offensive line and special teams, respectively, will require some adjustments. They both also will be missed for their leadership, so some new voices must rise and take charge besides Donovan McNabb in the clubhouse.

Reasons for optimism: Assuming the team can resolve its lingering contract issues with Terrell Owens and Corey Simon, the team that lost to the Patriots by three points in the Super Bowl remains largely intact. With some new blood added from a strong draft and some young players ready to contribute and add depth across the board, the Eagles should be in fine shape to make another Super Bowl run.

Causes for concern: The situations with Owens and Simon bear serious watching and could provide major distractions in camp. Owens has become a full-time side show this offseason, but he did say just before the start of camp that he would report on time. If Owens causes too many waves in the clubhouse and/or Simon's holdout extends late into camp or, worse yet, into the season, the team could take a serious hit to its Super Bowl ambitions.

Battles to watch: Most positions are fairly well locked up, but there could be a battle of two Jim Johnson favorites at weak-side linebacker: Keith Adams vs. Mark Simoneau. Johnson indicated who was ahead by having Adams play most snaps with the first team in mini-camp, but Simoneau is tenacious and versatile, perhaps a tad more so than Adams. Also, a right defensive end must emerge. The likely candidates are Jerome McDougle and N.D. Kalu. Kalu is coming off a knee injury, and the Eagles would love nothing more than for McDougle to win the job and prove he was worth a first-round pick.

Don't be surprised if … Simon reports to camp some time in the first two weeks and Owens plays the "good teammate" as the season approaches and realizes he should stay put in Philadelphia for the time being.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

If Ramsey was such a good practice performer then why didn't he win the job last training camp?

That's easy. Ramsey was coming off of a foot injury and Gibb's newest toy, Mark Brunell was in camp. Whoa was the team...

Originally posted by Chief skin

Ramsey is the question mark that will determine if we sink or swim. In this league you got to have a good QB in order to compete week in and week out.

They don't need to be good. Look at Trent Dilfer and the Baltimore Ravens. They went like 6 games without a touchdown.

Originally posted by VaBeachSkinzFan

They don't need to be good. Look at Trent Dilfer and the Baltimore Ravens. They went like 6 games without a touchdown.

That don't need to light it up (especially under Gibbs as we've seen in the past) but they do need to be smart and do a great job of managing the games.

That is what Gibbs (and quite honestly a lot of people) thought he was getting in Mark Brunell last year.

Eventually Carlos Rogers will prove to be better in run support than Smoot. Everytime Smoot made a tackle, he ran the potential of injury. Later in the season, Smoot pulled up on some tackles. If Rogers can cover like they say, we've actually upgraded. Youth, speed, run support.

I like the defense to be better than it was last year with Lavar back in the fold.

Last year Patrick was hurt coming into the season + his mind was blown away with the acquisition of Brunell. Ramsey will put up numbers twice that of last year. Will that add up to twice as many victories? Time will tell.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

That is what Gibbs (and quite honestly a lot of people) thought he was getting in Mark Brunell last year.

It would have been too, if he had actually been as accurate as he had been all of his career.

Is it just me, but am I not seeing a problem with having a bunch of canidates for MLB? Personally, I like the fact that we have a bunch of guys competing for the spot. (It isn't like Pierce had a ton of playing experience when he started last year...)

Jason

Originally posted by D Al

If Rogers can cover like they say, we've actually upgraded. Youth, speed, run support.

I like the defense to be better than it was last year with Lavar back in the fold.

I totally agree as well as I believe that Harris is just as good. We did not miss a beat with Smoot out against a Viking passing attack that was rated one of the best passing attacks in the NFL.

Originally posted by flexxskins

That was at least some better reading material. The article was more detailed than most. But for the most part it still brought up the same old questions...can Ramsey get rid of his old, bad habits and can the defense be as good as last year? The one thing that I guess that I am tired of reading about is Smoot and Pierce leaving. "Can the team still be a top 10 defense"? I just dont understand why sports writers can not remember that Pierce was a no name before Greg Williams arrived. There are players in camp with just as much and more talent than Pierce. G.Williams and D.Lindsey will pick a diamond in the rough and I actually dont think that the group is that rough. I think that Holdman is going to surprise alot of people. Also, coach Williams and CO. brought in a so called "aging and injury prone" Shawn Springs and made out quite well. I believe and so should these writers, that the same coaches, G.Williams, D.Walker and all of the rest are still capable of evaluating talent to fill positions of need. Walt Harris has proven that he wants to start and is capable of doing so. The great thing is that even if he does'nt pan out to be all that the coaches hoped that he would, they can always turn to the stud rookie C.Rogers. The bottom line here seems to be that these writers are either too young or did not research enough to know that coach Gibbs adjusts. He did so in the beginning of his first career in the NFL and he is doing so in his second.

Intelligent post & nice read. However, you could have made it an easier read with a paragraph, now and then;) :cheers:

Archived