Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys Now Loaded At RB Behind Julius Jones

HeHateMe

Part 9.

As always, thoughts, comments and feedback is welcomed.

Personally, I think Barber III will be extremely valuable for us this season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_camp_notes.cfm?id=3AFD119D-BBDA-1BCE-5581F5F0E3F470FD

Cowboys Now Loaded At RB Behind Julius Jones

By Rob Phillips

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

July 21, 2005, 2:59 PM (CDT)

(Editor's Note: This is the ninth of a 10-part series, DallasCowboys.com analyzing the Cowboys position-by-position as they begin final preparations for the July 28 start to training camp. Today will feature the running backs.)

IRVING, Texas - He began with Troy Hambrick, but he wasn't starting material.

Last year he had to lean on Eddie George, whose days as a workhorse back had faded.

No wonder Bill Parcells has publicly expressed his excitement about this year's group of running backs from top to bottom, not just Julius Jones.

It's simply no contest compared with his first two starting backs with the Cowboys.

Parcells' arrival as head coach in 2003 coincided with the end of the Emmitt Smith era and gave Hambrick, Smith's backup the previous three years, a chance to move into the starting lineup. Hambrick won the job by default but failed to reach the 1,000-yard mark in 16 starts and eventually forced his release by midway through the off-season. The Raiders signed him, but ended up shipping Hambrick to Arizona before the start of last season, where he found himself backing up his old buddy Emmitt again.

Jones was expected to take Hambrick's place as a rookie, but his broken shoulder blade in Week 2 forced Parcells to use the 31-year-old George as the primary ball carrier. George managed just 3.3 yards a carry in 13 games, was not re-signed by Dallas and is still looking for work.

Parcells has a reputation for building smash-mouth teams that run the ball almost exclusively. It's inaccurate but falsely pigeonholes him as a one-dimensional coach, although there's no question he prefers a strong running game.

That's why the Cowboys didn't hesitate to add two solid backups for Jones, the second-round pick who exploded for 803 yards in the final seven games but will have to prove he can stay healthy for all 16.

If he does, the Cowboys might produce a Pro Bowl running back for the first time since Emmitt made his ninth appearance in 2000. If Jones goes down again, fourth-round pick Marion Barber and former Bears starter Anthony Thomas are ready to step in.

"I am pleased with what our backfield situation, in terms of the running backs, looks like now," Parcells said. "That's much improved over any time since I've been here, without question."

When Parcells watches Barber he's reminded of a young Leon Johnson, the versatile back for the Jets who also handled kickoff and punt return duties. Barber gives the Cowboys a run-catch threat out of the backfield similar to Richie Anderson's role the past two years, and he might get an opportunity in the return game.

Thomas carried the load in Chicago for three seasons and reached the 1,000-yard mark twice. At 225 pounds, he's more of a straight-line runner but is ideal for short-yardage situations and would provide a nice complement to Jones if he makes the team. But running the ball would not be his only responsibility.

"He's got to venture out into the special teams area, which is something that he's not been asked to do in his past career much," Parcells said. "If he can't get into producing some on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him."

There isn't much room behind those three, but ReShard Lee's departure leaves a gaping hole on kickoff returns. That's where rookie free agent Tyson Thompson could crack the 53-man roster. The former Irving High School star impressed Parcells with his speed and versatility during the mini-camps and also worked with the kick and punt returners.

Thompson can run a little, too. He once racked up 525 yards in a high school game, but special teams will be his meal ticket here. That also goes for Erik Bickerstaff, a 230-pound "thumper" similar to Thomas who missed all of last season with a torn Achilles tendon, and Keylon Kincade, a practice squad player last year who rushed for 352 yards (3.4 avg.) and five touchdowns for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe this spring.

But the Cowboys' fortunes in the running game ultimately fall on Jones' shoulders, which look considerably larger after an off-season of restoring the upper-body strength he lost after the injury. Parcells wants Jones to develop into a better receiver and blocker, but he has clearly made strides as a runner.

He knows not to give up on runs. He knows to take a six-yard gain and stretch it out for 10. He knows to stay on the safeties when he reaches the second level.

"Julius has a heck of a lot better idea what it takes to be a running back in the NFL today," Parcells said. "I see Julius doing things right now in practice that he would never do last year."

The Cowboys also have two strong candidates at fullback in last year's starter Darian Barnes and first-year back Lousaka Polite, who was called up from the practice squad for the season finale against the Giants. Parcells praised Polite on several occasions during the mini-camps, calling him one of the strongest and smartest players on the team.

Anderson, who was released by the club in April after undergoing neck surgery, was listed as a fullback during his two years with the Cowboys but mainly served as another running/receiving option. And while he no longer is around, tight end Dan Campbell's return from a season-ending foot injury gives the Cowboys another strong blocker in the running game. So look for Parcells to use more one-back, two-tight end sets featuring Campbell and Jason Witten.

That means Barnes and Polite might be competing for one roster spot.

But Parcells seems eager to have Bickerstaff back in some capacity, so look for the 230-pounder to possibly take some snaps at fullback in training camp to see if he can become a multi-dimensional player.

The running game also should get a boost from Marco Rivera taking over at right guard. Rivera is a strong run blocker who should help open holes on the right side for Jones.

Jones had three straight 30-carry games upon his return and proved he's a durable back . But Parcells said 25-30 carries "isn't conducive to longevity," and that's why Barber and Thomas are here.

That's also why Parcells feels more comfortable than ever about his running back situation.

FITTING IN

Julius Jones: Added a new dimension to the offense after returning from the shoulder injury. Could put up big numbers behind a revamped offensive line.

Marion Barber: Cowboys nabbed the versatile back out of Minnesota in the fourth round to provide much-needed depth behind Jones. Parcells said he wants him involved in 20-25 plays on both offense and special teams.

Anthony Thomas: Proved in Chicago he is capable of being an every-down back, but the Cowboys signed him to a one-year deal mostly for short-yardage and goal-line situations. Nice insurance policy for Jones, but he will have to contribute on special teams, too.

Darian Barnes: Started 10 games at fullback last year and is the leading candidate to win the job again. But Dan Campbell's return might limit the fullback's duties on this team.

Lousaka Polite: Will challenge Barnes for the fullback job. Parcells is impressed with his dedication in the off-season program, but he's got to see improvement on the field.

Tyson Thompson: Can't teach his speed, but will have to show an understanding of the offense and contribute on special teams to make the roster. Likely a practice squad guy.

Eric Bickerstaff: Big back with some speed, but has been plagued by injuries. Faces tough competition at running back, but might get a look at fullback.

Keylon Kincade: Spent last year on the practice squad and didn't light it up in NFL Europe. Long shot to make the 53-man roster.

I wouldn't call A-Train and an unproven rookie "loaded", especially when ur #1 is gonna get ran into the ground and will probably get injured (prob just miss a game or two though), but I do suppose you all are better off this year than you all were last. Barber is a beast if he pans out, but he won't get many carries. A-Train is old and sucks, but then again he's better than a 60 year old Eddie George.

Overall, I would say our strength at RB is about even with yours, because you have more depth behind your #1 in Barber and A-Train, but we have the better #1 in Portis.

Portis/Betts is a pretty solid combo. I think Julius Jones is a solid RB, or at least will be, but honestly, Skins bias or not, you have to give the nod to Portis as the best RB in the NFC East, I mean lets face it, he rushed for 1300+ yards in a brand new scheme that the offense had a hard time grasping, plus I believe he missed two entire games.

I don't have a problem with the media having moderate to high expectations for Julius Jones, but I think they seem pretty eager to find and annoint any RB in a Cowboys uniform the big replacement for Emmitt Smith.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

Part 10 is a snorefest about Bledsoe.

Excited?:laugh: ;)

It still cracks me up that 'Boys fans think Bledsoe is some huge upgrade over Vinny. Watch the Cowboys games last season, if you can stomach it, and I dare you to have the nerve to say Vinny was the problem. I mean sure, he wasn't a pro bowler, but he was actually a hell of a lot better then most people expected him to be. Bledsoe in all honesty seems like a younger version of Vinny, but more mistake-prone, and streaky.

Although I generally think the Cowboys are getting overrated this season (especially the defensive makeover), I like their RBs. Without getting into who is the best back in the NFC East, Julius Jones looks like a good back. A-Train is a good backup--I thought we should have tried to get him. He can carry the ball 30 times a game, he's good in short yardage, he's cheap, and he's still fairly young. And Marion Barber was a good value where they got him--I don't know if he'll turn out to be a good back, but he was worth the pick.

Originally posted by spm

Although I generally think the Cowboys are getting overrated this season (especially the defensive makeover), I like their RBs. Without getting into who is the best back in the NFC East, Julius Jones looks like a good back. A-Train is a good backup--I thought we should have tried to get him. He can carry the ball 30 times a game, he's good in short yardage, he's cheap, and he's still fairly young. And Marion Barber was a good value where they got him--I don't know if he'll turn out to be a good back, but he was worth the pick.

I think Julius Jones will be a good RB, but here is something to ponder. People criticize Portis for his lack of size, saying he will only last in the NFL a few more years because of the pounding he is going to take, but isn't Jones smaller then Portis? I mean I don't see those same critiques being thrown his way even though Parcells style of RB is just as much smash mouth as Gibbs.

Laddell Betts has never been a full týme starter but when he has stepped ýn on occasion he has shown great promise with a hnadful of 100+ yards rushing and he and Kenny Watson were the last two players to each gain more than 100 yards rushing ib a single game ... and people are saying some unproven guy taken in the forth round is better depth.... please it is all surrounding the hype over the boys. Ý recently came across a yahoo sports article that places them as the 6th best team in the NFC ... we were ranked 13th, what were the Cowboys and the Redskins records again last year?

The Cowboys are a team that the sportsmedia wants to either be 1-15 or Superbowl Champs, because either way the ratings will be high because all the bandwagoners will watch them when they are good, and EVERYONE else will watch them to see them get destroyed when they are bad. They are good for ratings, and in today's TV world, that is what matters the most.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I think Julius Jones will be a good RB, but here is something to ponder. People criticize Portis for his lack of size, saying he will only last in the NFL a few more years because of the pounding he is going to take, but isn't Jones smaller then Portis? I mean I don't see those same critiques being thrown his way even though Parcells style of RB is just as much smash mouth as Gibbs.

Jones is shorter not smaller. Portis weighs only 205 LBs and is 5'11, so his frame isn't very big. Jones on the other hand is weighs the same but is only 5'9, so his frame is slightly bigger.

Very, very slight difference. Also, Portis has gained around 10 lbs and is listed at about 212. That should just about even things up. Unless Julius has gained some as well, ( damn we're nitpicky this time of year ;) ).

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Very, very slight difference. Also, Portis has gained around 10 lbs and is listed at about 212. That should just about even things up. Unless Julius has gained some as well, ( damn we're nitpicky this time of year ;) ).

Actually I'm not sure what Jones weighs, Madden had him listed at like 220 last year, and right before I posted, I double checked and it said 205.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Jones added ten pounds of muscle this offseason.

Check out those guns!:laugh:

Jones added ten pounds of muscle this offseason.

Check out those guns!:laugh:

:whew: Oh yeah. Look at that beast. ;)

You loved every word of the others. :laugh: ;)

There were words in the others? ;)

Archived