Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aikmans Career Ending play

truskinsfan18

Originally posted by Rypien11

Roy Willams did that to several Skins players last year. Including the one on Rod Gardner that should have been flagged.

Roy Willams hits hard but he does lead with his shoulder.

Hell can you imangine how many fines Jack Tatum would rack up today?

In any case that being said, Troy Aikman was very classy. He was a better QB that the Skins have had in a very long time.

It was a clean hit.

Troy himself has even said it was a good, clean hit.

I have been a Redskin fan since I was 7 and lived in Texas all my life.

I get a very steady dose of Cowboy Mania here.

While It burns me up to loose to them and I really cannot stand that dam star I think Troy was a great QB and should be givin the respect he deserves.

Someone mentioned how good of an announcer Troy is.

Kinda ironic that a QB for the Cowboys is the only guy in the booth NOT trashing the Skins when he covers a game they are playing. Even when it is against Dallas.

What he said....

Great post :cheers:

Come on season start already!!

I don't like seeing any player get hurt... to make fun of any injury is pretty classless... but, injuries happen in football, that's just part of a violent game... too bad that happened to Aikman...

LA had a good hit on him... he left himself open and got hit hard... the crown of LA's head did come down... but, really, can you seperate your head from your shoulders?? you hit someone with your shoulder pads, your helmet will come in contact with the player more than likely... the NFL is getting too sensitive about this stuff...

Darren Woodson got fined for a perfect hit on Darrell Jackson a few years ago... but, Jackson had convulsions and went to the hospital... it was a legal hit, but he got fined any way...

Originally posted by StonetheCrow77

I don't like seeing any player get hurt... to make fun of any injury is pretty classless... but, injuries happen in football, that's just part of a violent game... too bad that happened to Aikman...

LA had a good hit on him... he left himself open and got hit hard... the crown of LA's head did come down... but, really, can you seperate your head from your shoulders?? you hit someone with your shoulder pads, your helmet will come in contact with the player more than likely... the NFL is getting too sensitive about this stuff...

Darren Woodson got fined for a perfect hit on Darrell Jackson a few years ago... but, Jackson had convulsions and went to the hospital... it was a legal hit, but he got fined any way...

I agree... good post.

Originally posted by Skins11

Not really. As has been said, Lavar's was a clean hit. Williams had plenty of clean hits on Ramsey a couple years ago courtesy of Spurrier's genius blocking schemes. It sucked for us, and those hits were absolutely brutal, but nobody said it was dirty.

But it seems like everytime he hits someone lately, its deemed dirty.

Taylor does just as much damage look at some of the graphics on this site. Theres one where Taylor is pulling the helmet off some Cowboy (which btw is on my screen saver now). They are both guilty of late hits. You cant praise Taylor for his crap and shun Williams for his same stuff. Taylor btw is going to pick up a few 15 yarders if he doesnt quit hitting people out of bounds.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

You Skins fans must admit, if it was Roy doing that to Ramsey, youd be singing the same tune about how it was dirty and not necessary.

I watched that play as it happened. I saw Troy rolling toward the sideline with Lavar coming at him like a bat out of hell. I actually heard myself say "Get out of bounds, GET OUT OF BOUNDS!" Aikman stood in there looking to make the pass and got drilled. He was doing his job and so was Lavar

Originally posted by budski

Taylor does just as much damage look at some of the graphics on this site. Theres one where Taylor is pulling the helmet off some Cowboy (which btw is on my screen saver now). They are both guilty of late hits. You cant praise Taylor for his crap and shun Williams for his same stuff. Taylor btw is going to pick up a few 15 yarders if he doesnt quit hitting people out of bounds.

The difference with ST is he very clearly gets his head off to one side when he makes contact. Agree with the late/out of bounds hits, but it's not as easy as it appears to just "pull-up." It's called focus for a reason. Williams is not nearly as complete a player as ST. Williams really just wants to make big hits. ST wants picks for touchdowns, but will make a big hit if that's what is called for.

Also, many of Williams "WOOooo" hits are made agianst guys in compromised positions.QB blindsides and Wide Outs who are stretching for a ball. Woopie. I'm not impressed. Watch Sean. His goal line stop against the Vikings and his "Jacked-Up hit against Parker of the Steelers were text book load to load tackles.

Lastly, it was former 'Skins and Vickings HoF Safety Paul Krauss who said "Making a big hit as a Safety generally meant that I got there too late."

redzone,

I believe both are of equal talent in the hitting catagory.

Maybe williams is more of head hunter and Taylor an opportunist.

But I think the debate of late or illegal hits is trival in the big picture of the whole game meaning it happens all the time all over the league, because one or two guys are singled out is the NFLs way of sending the message enough is enough cool it.

Now Taylors focus if you watch the bad to bone clip by crazyzeb is clearly to far out of bounds on many plays. Is it bad?..hey hes making his presence known. But refs will focus on that just as quick as Williams late or head head hits.

Originally posted by red zone

The difference with ST is he very clearly gets his head off to one side when he makes contact. Agree with the late/out of bounds hits, but it's not as easy as it appears to just "pull-up." It's called focus for a reason. Williams is not nearly as complete a player as ST. Williams really just wants to make big hits. ST wants picks for touchdowns, but will make a big hit if that's what is called for.

Also, many of Williams "WOOooo" hits are made agianst guys in compromised positions.QB blindsides and Wide Outs who are stretching for a ball. Woopie. I'm not impressed. Watch Sean. His goal line stop against the Vikings and his "Jacked-Up hit against Parker of the Steelers were text book load to load tackles.

Lastly, it was former 'Skins and Vickings HoF Safety Paul Krauss who said "Making a big hit as a Safety generally meant that I got there too late."

Can we summarize by saying Redskins think ST is great and RW sucks and Boys fans think RW is great? This isn't rocket science you guys will support your guy to the end and will never give any credit to RW.

Can we summarize by saying Redskins think ST is great and RW sucks and Boys fans think RW is great? This isn't rocket science you guys will support your guy to the end and will never give any credit to RW.

What exactly does Roy Williams deserve credit for? Cowboys fans think he's the best or second best Safety in the league (to Ed Reed) and the facts just don't back that assessment up. Boys fans are generally casual football fans who have a SportsCenter mentality. Since they see RW on "Jacked Up" more than any other Safety, he must be the best.

In today's NFL, it's far more important for a Safety to be able to cover ground and stop the deep ball than it is to blow receivers up. You'll say he's an intimidator and he has receivers hearing footsteps. Well - obviously very few receivers heard those footsteps last season as 31 TDs were caught in front of him or behind him.

Roy Williams deserves credit for being a great hitter/tackler and there's certainly a place for a guy like that in just about any secondary. But any coach would MUCH rather have a guy that intimidates QBs than a guy who intimidates WRs. Williams doesn't imtimidate QBs and his skill set makes it unlikely he'll ever do that. Taylor has the rare potential to do both.

If RW can reach the very height of his potential, he could be a Rodney Harrison-type player. That's nothing to scoff at as Harrison would be a HOF player if he weren't considered dirty. However, RW needs his instincts to catch up with his hitting ability.

Taylor, on the other hand, has the potential to be Ed Reed with great hitting ability. The best of both worlds. His off-field drama is a concern to be sure but is it so much a concern that I'd rather have a lesser player like Williams? I don't think so.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

What exactly does Roy Williams deserve credit for? Cowboys fans think he's the best or second best Safety in the league (to Ed Reed) and the facts just don't back that assessment up. Boys fans are generally casual football fans who have a SportsCenter mentality. Since they see RW on "Jacked Up" more than any other Safety, he must be the best.

In today's NFL, it's far more important for a Safety to be able to cover ground and stop the deep ball than it is to blow receivers up. You'll say he's an intimidator and he has receivers hearing footsteps. Well - obviously very few receivers heard those footsteps last season as 31 TDs were caught in front of him or behind him.

Roy Williams deserves credit for being a great hitter/tackler and there's certainly a place for a guy like that in just about any secondary. But any coach would MUCH rather have a guy that intimidates QBs than a guy who intimidates WRs. Williams doesn't imtimidate QBs and his skill set makes it unlikely he'll ever do that. Taylor has the rare potential to do both.

If RW can reach the very height of his potential, he could be a Rodney Harrison-type player. That's nothing to scoff at as Harrison would be a HOF player if he weren't considered dirty. However, RW needs his instincts to catch up with his hitting ability.

Taylor, on the other hand, has the potential to be Ed Reed with great hitting ability. The best of both worlds. His off-field drama is a concern to be sure but is it so much a concern that I'd rather have a lesser player like Williams? I don't think so.

#1. Dirk your an avid Redskins fan and I know this is ES but to suggest that Cowboys fans are some how more "casual" than other fans is just plain silly. I'll just accept that as the typical ES Boys shot. Within just about every fan base I think you'll find avid die hards that know their team and football inside out as well as the "casual," bandwagonners, and the just plain ignorant.

#2. Most Cowboys fans that come in contact with really like RW but in no way shape or form consider him the BEST safety or even #2 behind ED Reed.

#3. Obviously RW is best suited to playing SS (close to the box) but contrary to popular belief, he actually can make plays in coverage. Covering T.O. one on one in the slot is not and will never be his strong suit.

#4. ST is a fine prospect with tons of POTENTIAL but I would hold off with mentioning his name with Ed Reed. Can ST cover? Sure! Can ST hit? Absolutely! The question is will he develop the natural insticts and football IQ to dominate the game from the safety position like an Ed Reed? Remains to be seen.

#Personally, I would take the player with his head on straight. An exemplorary, dedicated, team oriented leader over a knucklehead any day of the week, even if less "talented."

#5. The point I was simply trying to make is sometimes an argument can become silly when opposing fans are discussing their own players. Fans are mostly likely going to back their guy when discussing two good players. For example if RW was a Redskin I'm sure I wouldn't hear that he's a cheap shot artist or a "dirty" player which is only natural. I wasn't slamming ST or promoting RW.

And I think it is better to put this way.

Roy Williams is a great player except when the Cowboys play the skins then we hate him.

Sean Taylor is a great player except when the Skins play the cowboys then they hate him.

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

Hey, if it makes you feel better to over simplify, feel free.

On a more personal note, we can summarize by saying I detest everything about the Cowboys, fans included.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by HeHateMe

You Skins fans must admit, if it was Roy doing that to Ramsey, youd be singing the same tune about how it was dirty and not necessary.

No, not if Roy did the same thing, however what I and several others DID complain about was a couple of years ago, when Roy Williams LITERALLY picked Ramsey up off the ground and slammed him down, which is illegal because you cannot pick up players off their feet especially the QB, and it didn't even draw a single flag.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

No, not if Roy did the same thing, however what I and several others DID complain about was a couple of years ago, when Roy Williams LITERALLY picked Ramsey up off the ground and slammed him down, which is illegal because you cannot pick up players off their feet especially the QB, and it didn't even draw a single flag.

You can't be serious about that sack? If you don't have momentum you have to pick a guy up to tackle.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

. Boys fans are generally casual football fans who have a SportsCenter mentality.

I know this is a Skins board but this is one of the most ignorant comments I have read on this board. Sure there are Cowboys fans who visit this board who may be 'casual fans', but Cowboy fans are no different from any other teams fans. A lot of us bleed Cowboy blue just like Skins fans bleed Redskin red. To think otherwise is comical.

OK back to the topic of discussion. Great hit by Lavar. I believe Troy's back is what stopped him from coming back after that hit. Although he made the best decision to hang up his cleats because Dallas was a mess of an organization back then anyway. He would have continued to get more hits from their scrap offensive line.

Archived