Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's History 101: Dexter Manley

Tarhog

Very nice read guys. Those were the days huh? Man I loved Dexter.

I remember Dexter playing gunner on the punt team as a rookie. It was just nuts a guy that big could run that fast.

There was a fan who used to sit a few rows in front of us at RFK who, on 3rd and long, used to bellow "DEEEXTER, DEEEXTER, DEEEXTER! Dexter would always make a play when they needed it.

That Cowboy championship game was definitely a high water mark for us long time fans. The Danny White sack and the Darrell Grant TD happened right in front of me.

.....And people think Sean Taylor is giving Joe Gibbs problems. If a young Coach Gibbs can handle the likes of Dexter, a wiser, more experienced Gibbs can certainly sort through the challenge that is ST.

Nice job, guys. Dexter is my all-time favorite.

Is there a video missing? The list skips from "Dexter1" to "Dexter3." I wish it was a video of Dexter "diggin' in" with that right foot.

Keep up the good work. I love the Legends of Lore series.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Nice read. I met Dexter back in 87 during the Superbowl year. My uncle used to arrange charters for the Redskins while he was working for United Airlines. He got me on the team charter to Miami and I got to meet all of the players. Dexter was a great guy. I have to say that my greatest memory from that trip was talking to Jay Schroeder. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever met and spent over an hour talking to me on the flight. We chatted on the field before the game and I will never forget when Dan Marino walked up in street clothes and started talking to Jay. I was standing there in awe and could not utter a word.

But.......back to the topic at hand. Dexter will always be one of my favorite Redskins. It is my understanding that he now lives in Peachtree City, Georgia which is about 9 miles from me. I graduated high schoool in Peachtree City in 1984 from McIntosh and my parents still live there. Several of the people that I work with have told me that they have seen Dexter out and about, but I have yet to bump into him.

Great piece guys, great work!!!

:cheers:

There was a great segment on one of the investegative shows (20/20 or dateline or another one) it aired last year after he was released from prison. It went through his life, his ups and downs as well as his struggle with drugs. He is known as a tragic story to some, but the story is not over yet. Personally I think he has finally conquered the deamons inside him. I will always remember him for his personal charm, and charactor. When he testified before the Senate committe and cried, it made me realize that athletes were real people with real lives and emotions. It kind of gave me a different view of professional atheletes and the struggles they often go through in life.

Just a question for the Manley fans, does anyone know the story of how Manley and his current wife met? I can't remember the story, but I believe she was a big fan who was writing him and giving him support through his tough times and they married while in prison. I could be wrong, but I think this is the case, and it was a pretty touching story from what I remember of it.

Originally posted by Joe Sick

Nice job, guys. Dexter is my all-time favorite.

Is there a video missing? The list skips from "Dexter1" to "Dexter3." I wish it was a video of Dexter "diggin' in" with that right foot.

Keep up the good work. I love the Legends of Lore series.

Thanks man!

Yes, I inadvertently put up a video clip of Monte Coleman in that spot - Blade caught it and we removed it.

Originally posted by Matt Kyriacou

Nice read. I met Dexter back in 87 during the Superbowl year. My uncle used to arrange charters for the Redskins while he was working for United Airlines. He got me on the team charter to Miami and I got to meet all of the players. Dexter was a great guy. I have to say that my greatest memory from that trip was talking to Jay Schroeder. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever met and spent over an hour talking to me on the flight. We chatted on the field before the game and I will never forget when Dan Marino walked up in street clothes and started talking to Jay. I was standing there in awe and could not utter a word.

But.......back to the topic at hand. Dexter will always be one of my favorite Redskins. It is my understanding that he now lives in Peachtree City, Georgia which is about 9 miles from me. I graduated high schoool in Peachtree City in 1984 from McIntosh and my parents still live there. Several of the people that I work with have told me that they have seen Dexter out and about, but I have yet to bump into him.

Thanks for the story! Peachtree City, Georgia - that sounds like heaven on Earth :)

Great, great job gentlemen.

The memories of Manley and Mann decimating the pocket is something (I think) that still fuels our DE debate at draft time.

Dexter was a fan and media favorite, although his personal story is akin to a Greek tragedy. I still remember the game at Dallas when the Hogs and Riggens showed up wearing fatiques and Dexter wore a three-piece suit. He sound byte was something along the lines of "This is a business suit and this is my business".

Dexter, may you find a deserved peace in your life. You brought joy to mine.

To quote Dexter::wewantd:

• 5 months later...

Tarhog, I can't open the videos for Dexter Manley, I'm having the same problems with some videos in your other Redskin's History 101 threads.

I just discovered them yesterday and have been enjoying the reads. Keep up the good work, I look forward to more of them this coming offseason.

Great article, guys. Impressive, as always.

For those who have had the feeling sparked, check out e-bay. The above listed link came up as removed before I got to see what it was, so this might be the same item. It's available at the link below now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEXTER-MANLEY-auto-REDSKINS-jersey-70-Greatest-Inscrip_W0QQitemZ8742664232QQcategoryZ27277QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A home jersey signed by Manley with COA for about a hundred bucks. As of the time of posting, there's about three days left on it.

I remember getting team football cards from the DC Police as a kid, and Manley was always my favorite, because it looked like he was flying. I wish I could find those cards now.:(

Thanks again for the article, guys.

Tarhog, I can't open the videos for Dexter Manley, I'm having the same problems with some videos in your other Redskin's History 101 threads.

I just discovered them yesterday and have been enjoying the reads. Keep up the good work, I look forward to more of them this coming offseason.

Some of the link addresses for photos and video changed when we moved to the Redskins servers. I'll fix them up for you.

Ahhh, i love the dexter manley histoy 101...simply great.

Are these going to be done again this offseason? I'd like to read about Sonny, Bobby Mitchell and some others

Unless they fire me - yes :)

We'll be looking to do at least one every 3-4 weeks. We may even incorporate some interviews with the players highlighted.

Archived