Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I was threatened to be slapped in the face today.......

Tom [Giants fan]

BY ONE OF MY 7TH GRADE STUDENTS!!!!

I teach summer school and it is from 8:30 - 11:30 in the morning. Now, these kids bring snacks with them even though it is only a three hour day. We didn't get to have snack today because we ended up being very busy so one of the kids decided he isn't doing any work until he gets to have his snack. The thing is, we were in another classroom for reading so he didn't even have his snack with him.

Anyway, the other teacher sat down next to him to find out what was wrong even though I already knew what was wrong. He asked the kid if he had a snack, why didn't he eat it? He goes, "because of that guy", meaning me. I explained to the other teacher that we didn't get a chance to have snack because we were busy and there was a time dispute for something else. The kid was complaining and yelling at me to get out of his face even though I was about fifteen feet away. We get into the hallway to go back to our class and I told him that no one else was acting like a baby because they didni't have snack. He told me again to back out of his face even though I was still about the same distance from him. Only this time, he added, "before I smack you in the face."

I was like, excuse me? And he said it again. Needless to say he was kicked out of summer school. It is unbelieveable at the disrespect some of these kids have for older people.

Sorry, had to rant. Thanks for reading.

Better ending:

I was like, excuse me? And he said it again. Needless to say I beat his @ss drove to his dads house and beat his @ss too.

But your way was good as well.

:D

I can't imagine being a teacher, you guys get no respect from the kids and so often the parents are just as bad. God bless you people, you need it.

well it could be worse...the school where my wife teaches usually sends the kids back to class after an incident like that...the superintendent doesn't think it is good for these troubled kids to be kicked out of school...the junior thugs need to be in school regardless of what they do...nice message, huh? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

We get into the hallway to go back to our class and I told him that no one else was acting like a baby because they didni't have snack. He told me again to back out of his face even though I was still about the same distance from him.

This student was clearly not justified in saying what he did, but Tom, do you think that you needed to call him a baby? I can see that kind of comment escalating things especially where the kid was clearly already agitated. I don't know your situation or your knowledge of this kid's previous conduct, but irrespective of those things and how they might have influenced your comments to him, I don't think that you were justified in making the above comment in light of the situation as you've presented it given your role as a teacher. :2cents:

iheartskins,

I didn't call him a baby, I said that no one else was acting like a baby. And you know what? No matter what I said, it did not give him the go ahead to make a physical threat of any kind. But you know what? That is the exact thing I'm expecting his parents to come down and say. And I will tell them exactly what I told you, nothing I said warranted a physical threat.

You handled the situation nicely. Some teachers would have gone off and gotten in some serious trouble. Way to keep your cool!![/Quote]

Thanks. I simply told him don't show up tomorrow because you will be kicked out of summer school as soon as I let the principal know what just happened. He kept on going even after I said that. I may have not even told the principal if he hadn't of kept going. Plus the fact he brought a chain in the first day that I had to take away.

iheartskins,

I didn't call him a baby, I said that no one else was acting like a baby. And you know what? No matter what I said, it did not give him the go ahead to make a physical threat of any kind. But you know what? That is the exact thing I'm expecting his parents to come down and say. And I will tell them exactly what I told you, nothing I said warranted a physical threat.

Reread what I wrote, I didn't say that he was justified or warranted to make a physical threat.

All I was saying is that in a situation like that it would probably make more sense for a teacher not to say anything than to instigate the kid when he's clearly already angry. This is especially true when the student has already directly confronted you.

From how you've written it, it appears as though your comment to him that was "acting like a baby" (which reasonable people would agree, is comparable to calling him a baby for acting in the way he did--and again, I'm not saying that he wasn't acting like a baby) was the direct cause of him threatening to slap you. That's why I don't think you should have said what you did and rather had just remained silent.

Again, the kid seems like a jerk, but silence seems like a better response to his behavior rather than arguably instigating and further criticizing a student who has already stated that he "wants you to get out of your face."

I'm not saying that you need to get out the kid gloves and every student's whim must be treated as an order--I'm just saying where a kid is angry, send him to the principal's office or something comparable, don't exacerbate the situation.

iheart,

That's the type of thinking that these kids eat up. When we were all growing up, teachers could challenge us a little bit and toughen us up, that's their job. I realize now that they have to be careful what comes out of their mouths (much more so than they did when I was in middle school) but come on.

Even if Tommy Boy told the kid he was a baby and he needed to shut up and learn/read/work, the kid has ABSOLUTELY no right to a) talk back to Tom or B) threaten physical abuse.

This isn't an issue that has two sides at all. Kid = wrong, Tom = right.

The End.

The funny part of this is, the kid is about four feet 8 inches tall and weighs about 80 pounds. But this is one of the regular bullies in the school. I just don't get it. My right leg is bigger than this kid.

I hate to ask, but are these kids "special" in any way? Summer school and snack time sound somewhat remedial when we're talking 7th grade.

What a mess. Maybe President Bush would agree to a "Just One Child Left Behind" policy.:whoknows:

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

iheart,

That's the type of thinking that these kids eat up. When we were all growing up, teachers could challenge us a little bit and toughen us up, that's their job. I realize now that they have to be careful what comes out of their mouths (much more so than they did when I was in middle school) but come on.

Even if Tommy Boy told the kid he was a baby and he needed to shut up and learn/read/work, the kid has ABSOLUTELY no right to a) talk back to Tom or B) threaten physical abuse.

The End.

Once the PTA hears he called the kid a baby then it will be another issue. This is how it works and it is sad.

iheart,

The End.

Again, I never said that this kid was justified at ALL in making a physical threat. However, I don't think teachers have an unqualified and/or absolute right to criticize their students. And as you said in the post above, "they [teachers] have to be careful what comes out of their mouths (much more so than they did when I was in middle school)." That's all that I'm advocating here.

It all comes down to this: where a kid has shown violent propensity (with a chain and succesive non-violent and violent threats), what's the point in encouraging a direct confrontation?

Originally posted by jbooma

Once the PTA hears he called the kid a baby then it will be another issue. This is how it works and it is sad.

You may be right. I'm far too removed from all this to know what is currently acceptable in public schools these days.

To me it's just insane that these children think they have the right to speak to adults and, even worse, their teachers in these ways. :2cents:

Originally posted by iheartskins

Reread what I wrote, I didn't say that he was justified or warranted to make a physical threat.

All I was saying is that in a situation like that it would probably make more sense for a teacher not to say anything than to instigate the kid when he's clearly already angry. This is especially true when the student has already directly confronted you.

From how you've written it, it appears as though your comment to him that was "acting like a baby" (which reasonable people would agree, is comparable to calling him a baby for acting in the way he did--and again, I'm not saying that he wasn't acting like a baby) was the direct cause of him threatening to slap you. That's why I don't think you should have said what you did and rather had just remained silent.

Again, the kid seems like a jerk, but silence seems like a better response to his behavior rather than arguably instigating and further criticizing a student who has already stated that he "wants you to get out of your face."

I'm not saying that you need to get out the kid gloves and every student's whim must be treated as an order--I'm just saying where a kid is angry, send him to the principal's office or something comparable, don't exacerbate the situation.

This line of thinking by parents is exactly why kids are so much more disrespectful today as opposed to when I went to school.

If I came home (in the 7th grade) and said I got kicked out of school today because I didn't get my snack and my teacher said I was acting like a baby...my parents would have kicked my ass and said the teacher was right...you were acting like a baby.

In that line of thinking the kid comes home, the parents become outraged, they call the principal, the superintendent, and hire a lawyer...thus the kid has learned how to circumvent authority.

Originally posted by iheartskins

Again, I never said that this kid was justified at ALL in making a physical threat. However, I don't think teachers have an unqualified and/or absolute right to criticize their students. And as you said in the post above, "they [teachers] have to be careful what comes out of their mouths (much more so than they did when I was in middle school)." That's all that I'm advocating here.

It all comes down to this: where a kid has shown violent propensity (with a chain and succesive non-violent and violent threats), what's the point in encouraging a direct confrontation?

To me, the point wasn't to encourage a direct confrontation but to discipline a 13-year old.

The kid has to learn that he can't ***** and moan everytime he doesn't get his way. Teachers shouldn't instigate confrontations, I agree. However, they shouldn't feel as though they can't discipline a kid just because he might fly off the handle.

Once again, this is all just my opinion. Maybe I'm crazy.

To me it's just insane that these children think they have the right to speak to adults and, even worse, their teachers in these ways. :2cents:

And I totally agree with you about that. This kid's first statement was totally out of line. And for that alone, there should have been some kind of discipline short of explusion from the program.

No questions about it.

I just don't think Tom's succesive comment was the best for the reasons I stated above as they seem to have encouraged the direct physical threat.

Archived