JoeJGibbs

Here's an interesting stat for you:

Redskins Offense ranked: 30th

Time of Possession Ranked: #1

Record: 6-10

Portis gains 100+ yards = win = 6

Portis gains < 100 yards = loss = 10

Skins Defense Ranked: #3

Basically means that they were running the football, running the football, and running some more. Generally, if you have the ball the other team cannot score..they led the league in TOP but had no passing game. They had NO balance last year, they were strictly a team that HAD to run the ball to win.. I suspect that gibbs understands he MUST be able to throw downfield and this year and its going to be interesting. Gibbs' primary concern is protecting the QB and he didnt feel comfortable going into 3 or4 WR Sets and leaving his QB exposed. I remember the times where there were 2 WR's running routes vs 4 Db's because he needed to keep people in to block for Ramsey. Since then, he has added some quality WR's (not superstars) but good speed WR's. I would read between the lines here.. he added a shotgun to the offense signed a great center (Rabach) and added a crew of fast WR's...Gibbs is planning something through the air attack. Which should mean great things for the running game which should mean good things for the skins in general. Gibbs is adapting to the new NFL where speed kills, couple in G. Williams' defense and things will change sooner than later...

I didnt realize we lead the league in TOP. That can only mean good things. Everyone should realize we were about 1-3 big plays away a game from making the playoffs last year. I honesly believe if we would have made a big play in the first dallas game, browns, eagles x 2, Bengals, giants.....We really could have gone 12-4 last year if we could have caught a couple breaks.

Originally posted by stoney26

I didnt realize we lead the league in TOP. That can only mean good things. Everyone should realize we were about 1-3 big plays away a game from making the playoffs last year. I honesly believe if we would have made a big play in the first dallas game, browns, eagles x 2, Bengals, giants.....We really could have gone 12-4 last year if we could have caught a couple breaks.

Lol yea its almost mind boggling how a 6-10 team could lead the NFL in time of posession. I agree most of their games were 13-10, 20-17 or something along those lines. And 1-3 big plays did keep them out of the playoffs..but how about 1-3 bonehead plays that kept them out as well...??? #1 they never should have lost to CLEVELAND (portis fumbles) ! #2 they never should have been swept by Dallas(antonio brown fumble) ... those 2 games would have earned them a playoff spot over Minnesota.

Originally posted by JoeJGibbs

Lol yea its almost mind boggling how a 6-10 team could lead the NFL in time of posession. I agree most of their games were 13-10, 20-17 or something along those lines. And 1-3 big plays did keep them out of the playoffs..but how about 1-3 bonehead plays that kept them out as well...??? #1 they never should have lost to CLEVELAND (portis fumbles) ! #2 they never should have been swept by Dallas(antonio brown fumble) ... those 2 games would have earned them a playoff spot over Minnesota.

We didnt loose the game on Antonio Brown's fumble, to what I recall we stoped them on that and they punted the ball. We didnt convert a first down so we punted the ball back and ofcourse after we hammered testy around for a while he comes up with a long bomb and the rest is history...

:wewantd:

Originally posted by Califan007

???

I'll say it more slowly...

Portis... did not... play... in the win... against... the Vikes... ;)

I said that in reference to this...

Portis gains 100+ yards = win = 6

The Vikings game was one of those wins and, the last time I checked, he didn't even play, much less gain 100 yards.

Nick

Edit: I understand what he's getting at, though.

Originally posted by danbee

This is why I think the Redskins are at the door step. If we can get a passing threat developed there's no reason we can't be looking at 10-6 or even 11-5.

How about a short-yardage game? That's what would cure our redzone ills.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Let it go on record that I really love you signature.

Damn, there's some REALLY nice sigs out there now.... I love the window dressing. Lets you know you're in Redskins land... and the place looks sharp.

Agreed, I really like that signature also. A true mix of gamer meets the NFL.

Good work my friend.

Originally posted by ntotoro

I'll say it more slowly...

Portis... did not... play... in the win... against... the Vikes... ;)

I said that in reference to this...

The Vikings game was one of those wins and, the last time I checked, he didn't even play, much less gain 100 yards.

Nick

Edit: I understand what he's getting at, though.

Ahhh, ok...lol...I was looking for someone who specifically said Portis played against the Vikings and didn't see where anyone did. I skipped right over that stat mention while doing so...lol

Just to set the record straight, the Redskins finished 8th in the NFL in time of possession. The Skins were at 31:19 according to NFL.com. The Steelers were number one with 34:00.

Is the statistic important? Not really. Atlanta, Seatle, Colts and iggles all made the playoffs and were ranked 21st, 22nd, 25th and 26th respectively in the NFL in TOP. It's more important how many yards you move the ball when you have it and how little yardage you give up when you don't have it.

#1 Washington 31:19

#2 St Louis 31:05

#3 Arizona 30:53

#4 Dallas 30:37

#5 Green Bay 30:28

#6 Minnesota 30:02

#7 Carolina 29:56

#8 Tampa Bay 29:43

#9 Atlanta 29:10

#10 Seattle 29:00

#13 Philly 28:26

3 of the top 6 teams made the playoffs, Washington you ask... they were 6-10... 2 words Clinton Portis. Seattle #10 simple they were 9-7 and WON their division!(they stunk but were lucky to be in that division this year) Philly? They're a passing team (clock does not run on incl passes)

AFC

#1 Pittsburgh 34:00

#2 Denver 32:38

#3 K.C. 32:14

#4 New York 31:51

#5 Tennessee 31:40

#6 San Diego 31:30

#7 New England 31:22

#13 Indianpolis 28:40

... In the AFC, teams 1,2,4,6,7 made the playoffs. You say, but JoeJGibbs, KC is #3 and they didnt make it, and Indy is #13 and they made it. Simple, KC's offense is pounding the ground game alllllll day long (clock always running) and its just the opposite with INDY, they throw the ball alllllll day long, so on those incompletions, the clock doesnt run.

Originally posted by skins1972

We didnt loose the game on Antonio Brown's fumble, to what I recall we stoped them on that and they punted the ball. We didnt convert a first down so we punted the ball back and ofcourse after we hammered testy around for a while he comes up with a long bomb and the rest is history...

:wewantd:

yes we stopped them on that series after his fumble, but had he not fumbled, we would have ran the clock down for AT LEAST 3 plays, then punted, giving them less time and more difficult field position, so yes he did cost us that game.

Originally posted by JoeJGibbs

Sorry 1st in the NFC in TOP. Next time I shall proofread my posts..lol

The previous 7 teams (in the AFC) all made the playoffs.

KC was # 3, didn't make playoffs.

Tenn was # 5 didn't make playoffs.

Wash., Ariz & Dallas were also in top 12, but weren't among the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

So 5 of the top 12 weren't in the 12 teams that made playoffs. 4 teams in the bottom 12 did make the playoffs. The stat isn't a predictor of success.

Originally posted by jimster

yes we stopped them on that series after his fumble, but had he not fumbled, we would have ran the clock down for AT LEAST 3 plays, then punted, giving them less time and more difficult field position, so yes he did cost us that game.

Antonio Brown's fumble had nothing whatsoever to do with the secondary collapse with 30 seconds remaining in the game...either Springs or Taylor screwed up, not Brown.

Archived