Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Stat...

JoeJGibbs

If you are looking for a stat that predicts who will make the playoffs, try net yards per play from scrimage. This is your offensive yards gained per play minus your defensive yards given up per play.

10 of the top 12 teams made the playoffs. The other two teams were ranked 13th and 16th (Atl. & Seatle). Only Buffalo (9 wins) and Tampa Bay were ranked in the top 12 and didn't make the playoffs. Tampa was -9 in turnovers.

If you include penalties in the net yards per play, all 12 playoff teams are in the top 15.

Washington ranked 23rd in the league. They were 29th in the NFL with 4.3 yards per offensive play. They were 2nd in defense, giving up 4.4 yards per play. They were last in the NFL, getting penalized .125 yards more on every play than they were awarded.

Originally posted by Califan007

Antonio Brown's fumble had nothing whatsoever to do with the secondary collapse with 30 seconds remaining in the game...either Springs or Taylor screwed up, not Brown.

when Dallas recovered the fumble they ran 3 passing plays and took very little time off the clock. Had there been no fumble, we would have run 2 minutes off the clock and given them worse field position by punting, meaning they wouldn't have even had that 30 seconds to work with.

Antonio Brown's fumble had nothing whatsoever to do with the secondary collapse with 30 seconds remaining in the game...either Springs or Taylor screwed up, not Brown.

Springs was on the Comcast show after the Dallas loss. He said it was Taylor's responsibility. That much is pretty clear if you look at the play.

Originally posted by michaeln

Springs was on the Comcast show after the Dallas loss. He said it was Taylor's responsibility. That much is pretty clear if you look at the play.

It was pretty obvious. The WR was passed off to Taylor, who was out-of-position. It was already too late for Springs to try and play catchup by the time he realized Taylor screwed up.

Nick

Yeah, but that play should have never happened. Once the D held them the second time (after the Brown fumble), the offensive should have put the game on their shoulders and gotten a first down! I mean, I put that loss squarely on the shoulders of the offense. There comes a time when you have to get a first down. That's what was lacking in last year's team. They couldn't get it done when they had to. All the 1st and goal situations we had and came out with 3 points instead of 7, all the 3rd and shorts we failed to convert, etc. But that was the back-breaker. It was like the 2002 Spurrier season. The defense was on-point with Lewis as the coordinator, but the offense just couldn't give them a break.

The offense gets a first down on that drive, its game over, plain and simple. The Dallas D nutted-up and the Skins O couldn't answer. They needed to punch them in the mouth and claim victory, and they didn't. I don't blame the D for any loss last season.......

Originally posted by ntotoro

It was pretty obvious. The WR was passed off to Taylor, who was out-of-position. It was already too late for Springs to try and play catchup by the time he realized Taylor screwed up.

Nick

Springs wasn't even in the game at that point, was he? I can't remember. Anyways, Taylor followed Keyshawn, as I'm sure the play was designed to get him to do, leaving WhoDat McGee wide-open. I remember Springs pressing him, then just letting him go.

But that play should have never happened. The O should have run out the clock.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned much this offseason, and forgive me if someone already did, is that our offense gave up a lot of points early on.

I'm convinced we could have won some of those early games without the fumbles that were returned all the way. That could have been momentum for the rest of the season. It just seemed that our offense didn't have the neccessary confidence down the stretch until Pat came in towards the end.

Originally posted by jrockster77

Springs wasn't even in the game at that point, was he? I can't remember. Anyways, Taylor followed Keyshawn, as I'm sure the play was designed to get him to do, leaving WhoDat McGee wide-open. I remember Springs pressing him, then just letting him go.

Taylor bit on Vinny's fake, which according to Vinny was the plan. Don't worry about it though, ST has been working hard this offseason to eliminate the mental errors.

:doh:

Originally posted by wskin44

They were last in the NFL, getting penalized .125 yards more on every play than they were awarded.

What an eye-opener! There has to be more to this stat than just mental mistakes by the Skins? How many close calls went our way last year? Not too many as I recall. Most (all?) seemed to go the other way. Just coincidence? I think not.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't being followed!

Archived