Extremeskins

Skins sign Tony Dixon?

s5503.jpg

Tony Dixon - safety

26 years old

6'1 and 210 pounds

2nd round pick in the in 2001 draft

Scouts Inc. on Tony Dixon:

Dixon is a tough, instinctive player. Always appears to be in the correct position. Has the size and strength to be a force against the run. He has good awareness and reads his keys. He is capable of finding the ball and does a nice job attacking the LOS. He is a bigger safety that can hold up against the run and will make a lot of plays in transition, but he doesn't have great speed or range in coverage and really needs to be protected. Doesn't turn and run well with receivers. Has marginal speed and is exposed at times in coverage, especially in man schemes. Overall, Dixon has shown flashes in the past and could eventually take over for the aging Woodson but he still has a lot of room to improve between now and then.

Once again, Len Pasquarelli was right on the button. In yesterday's Tip Sheet:

To this point, Washington Redskins officials have been openly supportive of second-year free safety Sean Taylor, who faces two felony counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor count of battery, and who will be arraigned on June 24. But here's something notable: Team personnel officials this week began checking out free safeties, making calls and doing research on players still in the free agent pool, those who might be cut before camp, and those who could be available in trades. Maybe it's just coincidence, perhaps a case of the Redskins simply interested in bolstering the position, or just conducting due diligence. Then again, Washington could be preparing for the possibility of not having Taylor available. It would be difficult for the Redskins to release Taylor, given the salary cap ramifications of such a move, but his contract does include default language that might allow the club to recoup some of his bonus money in the event he is convicted. By the way, the top safeties still available in free agency include Lance Schulters, Tony Dixon, Cory Bird, Reggie Tongue, Eric Brown and Anthony Floyd.

Redskins sign safety Dixon

Ashburn, VA (Sports Network) - The Washington Redskins signed free-agent safety Tony Dixon on Saturday. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-1, 213-pound Dixon spent the last four years with the Dallas Cowboys, where he recorded 96 tackles, six sacks and 10 pass deflections in 53 games. Forty-nine of his tackles came on special teams.

The Cowboys selected Dixon out of Alabama in the second round of the 2001 draft.

As a Cowboy fan I will tell you that Dixon stinks.

Very slow at safety and poor on special teams.

This makes no sense to me why the skins would do this , unless it is just for a look , but playing each other twice a year they should already be familar with the player.

Originally posted by leonargized

This makes no sense to me why the skins would do this , unless it is just for a look , but playing each other twice a year they should already be familar with the player.

Ah, he was pretty good on ST... not great... far from poor...

Got to disagree with you stone, I think poor is the correect phrase. I would like to see what his special team tackles were last season ,but I watched every game and Not once did I see anything from him on SP teams.

Plus as much as Tuna likes his ST if any good he would still be in Dallas.

He's just camp fodder, brought in to provide competition. His contract most likely is based on whether or not he makes the team.

As a Cowboy fan ..............

You could have stopped there. I ignored everything you wrote after that.

This guy will be camp fodder or special teams. It doesn't take an Einstein to run down the field full speed into another guy. Even a Cowboy could do it.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

Excuse me but I seem to be lost. I was looking for Extremeskins. I must have taken a wrong turn. Is this the Cowboy fan wing?

You just signed a former Cowboy who, in light of how poor we are at FS right now, Dallas had no interest in resigning.

Of course youre going to hear from us. ;)

Archived