Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOUR...... Golf advice needed

TerpsEagles

Okay..... so I've never been a "serious" golfer.... many of my friends are and I usually go out anywhere between 5-20 times a year w/ them.... well, this is the year that I want to put more time into the sport... driving range, rounds, etc....

I am in the market for a new set of clubs since I've been playing w/ an old set I bought waaaaaaay back.

I don't want to break the bank on this set... and I'm hoping to find a nice, forgiving, set of clubs..... then, once I start to get my game in better shape, I can buy a top of the line set down the road....

One set that has been recommended to me is the Adams A1 Irons.

Adams Irons

Throw in this 3 wood: 3 Wood

And perhaps this driver:

Driver

Now I don't know much about Adams Golf.... the guy at the golf shop spoke highly of them .... but why wouldn't he, he's trying to sell them to me....

Who knows about them ? Do you like them ? Dislike ? Got another set or brand to recommend before I buy ?

Thanks...

im not a great golfer but a friend of mine is and the advice he just gave me on new clubs is to go to a shop that has a hitting board. and if the people there are knowlegable they can taylor make a set of clubs to your swing by seeing where they hit off of the board. i dont think its that hard for them to do and therefore not ridiculously expensive. just something you might want to look into

The best set of clubs for someone who wants to get better is the Tommy Armour 845's. I still have my set. They are very reasonable in price since when i bought mine and they are a great set of clubs.

Yeah, you should def. check into other irons before you invest. I am a Callaway guy myself, but Ping, Nike has some good forgiving irons. I heard the new Ping G2 is a really good driver. I have the X-14's and I love them, but to each their own.Also, you might want to think about getting them custom fitted. Helps out a ton. Good luck with your golf game.

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

. The 3 and 4 irons are actually fairway woods in that set? seems odd. You should definitly hit them first and see if you like them.

They are called hybrid irons - and a lot of maunfacturers are using them especially for the 3 and 4 iron - which most golfers have problems hitting solid.

Adams golf equipment, in general, is solid. What are they asking for the irons? I would definitely shop around online though before you commit to getting them at the store.

Good luck.

Originally posted by rydemps

Couldn't have said it better myself! I have a set of Hogan blades.

I have an old set of Wilson Pro Staffs that belonged to my dad... I've gotten several offers on them but no way would I sell them and I can't imagine playing with something else... awesome irons.

Originally posted by zoony

I have an old set of Wilson Pro Staffs that belonged to my dad... I've gotten several offers on them but no way would I sell them and I can't imagine playing with something else... awesome irons.

I think I know the set you are referring to -- don't ever sell them. They don't make them like that anymore.

Originally posted by TerpsEagles

I suppose you're right, huh ? Although yelling it on a course even spelled my way should get just about the same message across... no ?

:cheers:

you can yell anything on a golf course and i'm ducking. damn near got killed once.

anyways, i'm just messin' w/ ya!

:D

I have a custom fit set of irons, Taylor Made Driver, and Adams

3 wood. The clubs are fine, it's just that my swing gets in the way. I also have a set of Wilson Staff Blades.

You might check on a nice set of used clubs. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a high end set. Use these until you get to

where you want to buy your own.

The Wilson blades that I have are an older set, but when swinging in a groove, nothing gives you more feel and distance.

There is nothing like hitting a blade in the sweet spot.

My set even has the 1 iron.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Adams golf equipment, in general, is solid. What are they asking for the irons? I would definitely shop around online though before you commit to getting them at the store.

Good luck.

I think the irons are ~$400..... the whole set w/ the woods included priced out ~650-700$$.

I'm going to Washington Golf and have them analyze my swing.... if their price is the same or remotely close I'll give them the business....

What is your budget? My recommendation is to buy nicer clubs used. Most places will replace the grips before they resell them. If not, its only $3 to 5 per club to replace them.

There is a small shop in Merrifield, VA called Merrifield Golf. They have all the good stuff for real cheap. I bought my dad a new Big Bertha there for $100 cheaper than it was at Washington Golf. Its the same exact club, not the illegal long hitters that you find on eBay. Its a small mom/pop shop and the guy has been there for years. He has almost zero overhead and sells everything for cheap. If you are familiar with teh area, its on Lee Highway, about a mile or two West of Gallows Rd. He has lots of fairly priced used clubs.

If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase a used high end set at a place similar to "Play it Again Sports" or if you are on the internet try Golf Club Exchange. Com.

The real investment in the sport is to take lessons as early as possible. The golfer hits good shots; not the clubs.

Honestly -- best advice I can give.

1 - Get fit for your first set of golf clubs. You don't need to purchase them just get your measurements and then go buy a high end set of used clubs.

I starting playing Mizuno T-Zoids.. I love them -- my next set will be mizunos too. I would recommend anything from Titleist, Ping, Mizuno, Taylor Made, and Calloway (I don't like Calloways...). Purchase them used and get some lessons -- then your hoovering around a 20 handicap -- go get a nice set of clubs and try to get down in the low teens..

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

Honestly -- best advice I can give.

1 - Get fit for your first set of golf clubs. You don't need to purchase them just get your measurements and then go buy a high end set of used clubs.

I starting playing Mizuno T-Zoids.. I love them -- my next set will be mizunos too. I would recommend anything from Titleist, Ping, Mizuno, Taylor Made, and Calloway (I don't like Calloways...). Purchase them used and get some lessons -- then your hoovering around a 20 handicap -- go get a nice set of clubs and try to get down in the low teens..

I second that, best advice I've seen so far. . .

As for me, I tried out about 6 different sets of clubs before I bought one. Most pro shops will loan you a set of clubs to shoot a round with, at least they do here in Mass. Try out a bunch of different ones in your price range and see what you like the best.

Also, taks some lessons where they use videotaping and computer animation as part of the package. It is a little bit more expensive, but you can definitely see where your problem areas are, then work on correcting them.

Good Luck :cheers:

Originally posted by JMac

The best set of clubs for someone who wants to get better is the Tommy Armour 845's. I still have my set. They are very reasonable in price since when i bought mine and they are a great set of clubs.

I am with you on this one. I have a set of 845 EVO's. Had them for about three years. I love them

Originally posted by rdsknbill

and what's your handicap rockstar???

I'm playing to a 10 right now.

:doh:

I haven't had time to get out the way I used to... I've only played once this year and it was ugly. :)

In my early 20s I played a couple times a week, and I'd consistently shoot in the low to mid 80s.

Actually, my iron play is the only thing I can really count on no matter how long its been. I can't hit any of my woods, can't putt, can't chip... but I can stick a ball on the green from 150 yards out all day long... no joke :)

But then comes the 3 putt :doh:

Archived