Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Ebay scam info...??

codeorama

I'm selling my xbox on ebay and I get an email from a user from singapore that just opened their account today. Here is the contents of the email:

"Hello i am willing to purchase your item and i will be paying you extra $100+the buy it now price for each item ok so i need as much as possible quantity of the items available for sale ok and i can pay u via(BidPay MONEY ORDER) ok and once you receive an approved confirmation email saying the payment has been approved i want it shipped out today if you agree with my offer kindly send me your NAME,ADDRESS,QUANTITY AVAILABLE FOR SALE asap ok because of the urgent need of the item asap ok i await your reply. Regards"

For some reason, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about this scam going around. FIRST, there's no way I'm shipping anything to anyone until the money is in my hand, so that's not an issue, I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had this happen or has heard of this.

Not that particular scam but their was one with Redskins tickets going around. I was outbid on some lower level seats and then I get an e-mail from someone in the U.K saying they had tickets to sell me. lower level, for $500 (for 2 tickets) and to send payment. BUT they didn't want me to send a repsonse through E-bay. They gave me a hotmail e-mail address to send correspondence to. I didn't send anything, too good to be true, and it probably was. Then a week later I see the same eBay user ID put some Redskins tickets lower level for sale. The auction started at $1?? I watched it get bid up to about $200 and then the item was removed by eBay. My gut feeling was right. It was a scam.

Lots of scams on eBay!

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Not that particular scam but their was one with Redskins tickets going around. I was outbid on some lower level seats and then I get an e-mail from someone in the U.K saying they had tickets to sell me. lower level, for $500 (for 2 tickets) and to send payment. BUT they didn't want me to send a repsonse through E-bay. They gave me a hotmail e-mail address to send correspondence to. I didn't send anything, too good to be true, and it probably was. Then a week later I see the same eBay user ID put some Redskins tickets lower level for sale. The auction started at $1?? I watched it get bid up to about $200 and then the item was removed by eBay. My gut feeling was right. It was a scam.

Lots of scams on eBay!

Yeah, I don't do ebay a ton, but I'm selling a few things now. This just seemed way too fishy.

Hey Code,

You ever notice that every once in a while a 1957 Strat or something will come up on auction for super cheap, and the seller will have little to no history? I always think it's a scam, but I wonder sometimes if it's just somebody who doesn't really know what they have.

Originally posted by GSF

Hey Code,

You ever notice that every once in a while a 1957 Strat or something will come up on auction for super cheap, and the seller will have little to no history? I always think it's a scam, but I wonder sometimes if it's just somebody who doesn't really know what they have.

Yeah, I've noticed. I would never buy something expensive from a seller that had little history. It seems like there are alot of scams on ebay, but IMO, they are easy to spot. Ebay is really cool as long as you use common sense.

Originally posted by JMac

I would not sell to anyone outside of the U.S. There is just too much risks.

I agree, there's no way I would either, I posted this just for info, I"m not considering the offer at all, I've just never had something like this happen and was kind of facinated that someone would actually think that I would send them something without getting the money first.

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

Whoever it is, is a Nigerian scammer. I can tell by the way they type.

I had a scam like this happen to me and in the emails the guy wrote he kept saying ok and writing like he was speaking.. real weird... It turned out to be a Nigerian man who was trying to buy my boat with a fake bank check.......

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

;) I'm being serious man, it is.

I edited my post about the lowercase i's and ok after everything...

Go as far as finding out where you'll be sending money too. I betcha it's Nigeria :D

I believe you... I just thought it was funny...

I had some guy call me at work from Nigeria asking me if I received his fax. I manage an IT dept and I asked him what it was regarding and he said he wanted to join me in a corporate partnership. I was like what the hell are you talking about. He didn't know anything at all about my business or what we did. I did receive a fax a few days later referencing this "partnership" and it said that the govt of Nigeria requires businesses to have corporate partners, or something to that effect. Regardless, it smelled like a scam and made absolutely no sense.

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Lots of scams on eBay!

i've gotten a similar email when i lost an auction for tickets.

on the same hand, i've tried selling an item but didn't b/c it came $1 short of my reserve. some fool them paypal'd me that current high bid plus $25 without contacting me first. some people just idiots. :doh:

haha, isnt Nigeria also the source of that other scam, the one that mails you phony bank checks, asks you to send a remainder back, thus screwing you?

I have only shipped out of the country once, but the buyer lived in Germany and had an over 600 feedback rating, and he obviously payed into paypal first. i prefer not to do it though, just too iffy.

I've used Ebay a few times, and have had good things happen.. but I've never dealt with a foreign seller.

I just bought this amp last week for 118 bucks. I got it Tuesday, and I love it.

I've bought Redskins tickets thru ebay several times and haven't been burned yet,, but I have a trick to get them fairly inexpensively... because I am a free lancer for a living and can set my own hours, i can find an auction that is scheduled to end at like 3 Am on a Wednesday,, and almost every time the bid stays nice and low, and no one is up at the end to outbid me.

Selling is another story, I've tried to sell some art that i own and had no luck. Olivia DeBarardinis anyone?

ob033.jpg

this is a poster of the piece i have, I have one of the original serographs.

~Bang

Archived