Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After Promising Not to, Rather Attacks Deceased President.

Sarge

What class. What grace. What an ass

http://ratherbiased.com/news/content/view/113/2/

After Promising Not to, Rather Attacks Deceased President.

June 08, 2004, 18:30:31 EDT

Opponents of John Kerry often accuse the Democratic presidential candidate of flip-flopping on issues of importance. That may be true but when it comes to flip-flopping, John Kerry has nothing on Dan Rather, who yesterday managed the difficult feat of saying one thing and then doing the opposite in the span of just a few hours.

The anchor's first move came while he was speaking with Philadelphia Daily News TV critic Gail Shister about the television coverage of Ronald Reagan's life and death. In contrast to his higher-rated rivals who said that some criticism of the late president's policies is appropriate even before his burial, Rather disagreed.

"When a twice-elected, two-full-term president dies, it's not the time for a seminar on his strengths and weaknesses, in my opinion," he said. "To paraphase Marc Antony, I think, by and large, that the good that men do should live after them, and the evil should be interred with their bones."

Hours later, though, Rather and his colleague Bill Plante did just that with a piece which blamed Reagan for "helping to set the stage for the first Iraq war and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism."

"Straight ahead now on the CBS Evening News, President Reagan and the missiles-for-Iran deal," Rather teased as he went into a commercial before the piece. "Is or is not America still paying a price for what's called the Iran-contra debacle? Our special series The Legacy is next."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back from the break, Rather continued:

"Ronald Reagan was and is one of the most popular presidents in U.S. history, and with good reason. He accomplished a lot. That does not mean his record is without questions and, in fact, blemishes. Tonight, CBS's Bill Plante, who covered the Reagan White House, begins a week-long series assessing the Reagan legacy.

With that introduction, Plante began his piece which was fairly objective until the end when the correspondent began to editorialize.

"The president's full disclosure at home, however, didn't salvage U.S. policy in the Middle East," Plante argued. "Relations with Iran deteriorated further. Iraq, which the Reagan administration had backed in its war against Iran, went on to use chemical weapons in 1988 with little protest from the U.S."

In print journalism, that kind of assertion would require about 5000 words to back up but since this was television and Plante needed help making his anti-Reagan point, he turned to a former Clinton State Department official for help. As might be expected, Plante did not tell viewers of the background Jon Alterman, "mideast analyst"

"But when it came time to really having partnerships and policies that move forward in the Middle East, there wasn't a lot positive happening on the ground," Alterman said.

Having "proved" his point, Plante delivered his conclusion:

"An arms control agreement with the Soviet Union refurbished President Reagan's image, but U.S. efforts to deal with the tough issues in the Middle East went on hold, helping to set the stage for the first Iraq war and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism. Bill Plante, CBS News."

Of course, Plante or his producer could easily have found another "mideast analyst" who would completely discount his argument. But that would've ruined the whole point of the thing.

How dare he try to provide "fair and balanced" coverage of Reagan's legacy.

We all know that Reagan was the greatest president ever. He was so darn optimistic and the best teleprompter reader ever!

Forget Iran-Contra, backing Saddam and Osama, tripling the national debt, supporting apartheid, backing death squads in Central America, throwing money at the Star Wars boondoggle, making up stories and confusing old movies with actual events. He was perfect !! It was the 80s, and it paved the way for our current crop of "style over substance" politics.

:rolleyes:

I hear CBS is hiring. Looks like you'd be perfect.

My point is that regardless of who died, he could at least have the class to keep his yap shut while the cerimonies are in progress. Tear him down next week if you want. But I guess it would be too much to expect from the left for a little class

Originally posted by Sarge

I hear CBS is hiring. Looks like you'd be perfect.

My point is that regardless of who died, he could at least have the class to keep his yap shut while the cerimonies are in progress. Tear him down next week if you want. But I guess it would be too much to expect from the left for a little class

Just hate to hear a dissenting opinion of old Ronnie Raygun, eh?

So none of the other stuff bothered you?

Was his support of apartheid "classy"?

Was his ignoring the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic "classy"?

How about his covert military operations in defiance of your constitution? That whole Iran-Contra trading weapons for hostages, that was real "classy", huh?

I hear they are rebuilding the Berlin Wall now that Reagan is gone. (sorry, got that one from The Onion.)

When a person dies, especially a public one, you reflect on their lives as a whole. I'm sorry if this clashes with your rememberance of Saint Ronnie, but now is the time to do it. I mean, with 12 hours of coverage a day, there is time to talk about his whole life, not just the parts conservatives want us to remember.

Did the press ignore Watergate when Nixon died? Do you think they forget Monicagate when Clinton passes? I doubt it and I hope they won't.

Originally posted by Jackson's Ward

How about his covert military operations in defiance of your constitution? That whole Iran-Contra trading weapons for hostages, that was real "classy", huh?

I hear they are rebuilding the Berlin Wall now that Reagan is gone. (sorry, got that one from The Onion.)

When a person dies, especially a public one, you reflect on their lives as a whole. I'm sorry if this clashes with your rememberance of Saint Ronnie, but now is the time to do it. I mean, with 12 hours of coverage a day, there is time to talk about his whole life, not just the parts conservatives want us to remember.

Did the press ignore Watergate when Nixon died? Do you think they forget Monicagate when Clinton passes? I doubt it and I hope they won't.

I seriously doubt Dan Blather or whatever liberal hack that replaces him will cover Klintons escapades with Monica in the White House. Or his selling of nuke secrets to China. Or his selling of rocket tech to China. Or his violation of international law by bombing Kosovo. Then it will be the mean ol conservatives picking on poor ol Bubba again. Of course, I'm not sure what they'll report on, because I honestly can't think of a thing he did for the economy, national defense or foreign affairs.

Oh, and as for AIDS. IT was little understood from the early to late 80's and was mainly confined to homo's in San Franfreako. Why should the gov spend money on something that was preventable with a behavior change?

"Iran/ Contra trading for weapons" Not quite sure if you mean the Iranian hostage thing or Iran Contra. Gues Reagan wasn't the only one "confused" As far as Iran was concerned, Reagan, when he was President elect, was scaring the hell out of the ragheads in the news, calling them "barbarians" and all kinds of stuff. A distinct change from carters bowing down to them for over a year. And as for the Contras, they helped rid a Central American country of a communist government. You know, the same kind of government the Kruchev sprang from and declared at the UN while banging his shoe on the podium that the world would be communist one day.

I saw in the news where his son became an American citizen today. Talk about irony.

just because he didn't blindly praise reagan means he is unfair and biased... when all men die they are judged for both the good and ill they did in their lifetimes. just because they are dead doesn't mean you overlook the bad.

when clinton dies and they are talking about lewinsky you will be jumping up and down in your living room screaming about how he should've been impeached.

this news article coming from a "rather biased" news source and poster...

It shows a lack of class by a major network.

Any President deserves a time of mourning and the country in this case is really locked onto President Reagan's death. He once again is bringing out the patriot in most. Like him or not, he ignites the Red, White and Blue.

Allow the man a chance to be buried with all the honors and all the pagentry that comes with it for being the 40th President of the United States. He deserves AT LEAST that much.

It shows nothing but a lack of class and it is sickning to hear such disrespect during this time. Its pitiful that someones death has to be used in order to make some political move. Its then, that those individuals should realize that maybe their priorities should be reexamined and maybe even updated a little bit.

Anyone who has followed Dan Rather knows what he's about. It's the ignorant or discelples of the left that swallow hook, line and sinker what he & Viacom propogate. He's an self admitted liar and has even boasted ( on the Don Imus program) that lying is OK in his profession. Dan Rather is as biased as it come but unlike many he'll almost admitt to his bias.

My question is this.

Why do some in and out of the media harp about a liberal one instead of using their time and voice to report the news they claim is being missed?

What makes more sense? Having a show devoted to going through newspapers and show how they aren't reporting anything positive toward the admin or actually doing it yourself?

When a twice-elected, two-full-term president dies, it's not the time for a seminar on his strengths and weaknesses, in my opinion," he said. "To paraphase Marc Antony, I think, by and large, that the good that men do should live after them, and the evil should be interred with their bones."

Your missing the actual picture.. HE said the above and then did the opposite hours later.

It's not really about Reagan. Its about going back on your word withing just a couple of hours.

Sarge, you've been gone for awhile so I won't close this thread, but in the future please post the headline of the article and save the commentary for the post itself. Thanks.

So you know, I'm not picking on you. We've been tightening up the ship here over the past few days.

Discussing the events of a Presidential term does not equate to attacks. I know that some feel anything that isn't blind praise must be default be an attack, but it isn't.

Besides how many fluff pieces do you want them to run? There's been a Reagan was great piece on every night and ONE thing is said that isn't blinding praise and immediately we hear of mean ol liberals in the media. I guess the last couple days never happened, one FAIR discussion erases days of lopsided fluff.

Originally posted by Henry

Sarge, you've been gone for awhile so I won't close this thread, but in the future please post the headline of the article and save the commentary for the post itself. Thanks.

So you know, I'm not picking on you. We've been tightening up the ship here over the past few days.

Don't know if I saw the thread late and the title was edited, but Henry, the title is exactly what Sarge posted. :(

It came from

www.ratherbiased.com

Jackson's Ward

Revisionist history again huh?

President Reagan administration spent over 6 billion for a disease that has civil rights status and can be prevented by not being wrecklessly promiscuos and or deviant.

The spending wasnt kept in check by Democratic controlled Congress who spent more that what was taking in.

I didnt see Iran Contra as a scandal I personally saw it as brilliant. Stop communism in Central america ie nicaragua and keep stability in the middle east between a scorpion and a snake

chomerics, it was edited later. The title now showing was not the title that was there originally - see Sarge's first post in this thread for the title he posted.

Navy Dave, got a source for the $6 billion?

edited to add the following:

My sources from when I was volunteering with an AIDS organization in NY in the early 90's stated the spending in much lower amounts...I'm looking for an online source at the moment...

Wow! I guess the only thing good I can say about him then is, at least he wasn't some scumsucking defense lawyer turned politician.

Not that ALL defense lawyers are scumsuckers. Mine was a great guy. ;)

Originally posted by jenmdixon

chomerics, it was edited later. The title now showing was not the title that was there originally - see Sarge's first post in this thread for the title he posted.

edited to add the following:

My sources from when I was volunteering with an AIDS organization in NY in the early 90's stated the spending in much lower amounts...I'm looking for an online source at the moment...

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. . .

ND, I'm so sick of your absurdity concerning homosexuals and your homophobic view of the world. Anytime a post is on the board concerning AIDS, gay rights/marriage, you just have to post your derogatory comments conecrning other individuals and how their the scourge of the earth.

And you claim you're not homophobic:doh:

Edit: took out my gay claim for fear of banning :)

Originally posted by jenmdixon

My guess is he heard it on Rush Limbaugh. He's been flinging that number around a lot lately on his show and Navy is diddohead.

Note to Henry: Diddohead is not an insult

Hey Danny Rather, it was Marc Antony from Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar" that made the quote you paraphrased. Not the real Marc Antony as you implied. Not only that but you took it out of context:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones:

So let it be with Caesar.

Julius Caesar Act III, Scene 2.

Please paraphrase your quotes and the news better from now on Mister Rather.

I liked Brokaws take the best.

Sunday night NBC showed a memorial tribute and ended with Reagans famous "shining city on the hill" and the first words out of Brokaws mouth was (para)" Of course it hasnt been shiny for all Americans. Minorities in particual suffered because of his policies."

naaaaa. No liberal bias there at all.

How dare he try to provide "fair and balanced" coverage of Reagan's legacy.

We all know that Reagan was the greatest president ever. He was so darn optimistic and the best teleprompter reader ever!

Forget Iran-Contra, backing Saddam and Osama, tripling the national debt, supporting apartheid, backing death squads in Central America, throwing money at the Star Wars boondoggle, making up stories and confusing old movies with actual events. He was perfect !! It was the 80s, and it paved the way for our current crop of "style over substance" politics.

:rolleyes:

Reagan was 100% substance and was the greatest president of the 20th century. It's not even close.

It must be driving you liberals crazy that your attempt at revising history has not worked.

Presidents are remembered in history by a few words.

Lincoln freed the slaves

FDR created the great society.

Nixon resigned over Watergate.

Cater just plain sucked.

Clinton = blowjob

Reagan defeated communism

Sorry if his legacy to the overwhelming majority is not "he casued AIDS" or "he backed death squads". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sounds like you have been reading a little too much Ted Rahl.

Archived