Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar Arrington

Woofer

LA has not come close to earning my respect for his play on the field and I'm sure he'll lose sleep over it. I don't care what his off the field endeavors are, but please get some new agent who were not drop outs of the RIF (reading is fundamental) program.

Lavar is starting to appear to be the rare-brand of athlete that has a genuine love for the game and respects the game to the highest level, but does not embrace the entertainment aspect of the game such as jersey licensing, likeness use etc. This all comes in the wake of him trying to assert himself as Mr. Redskin following Green's retirement. I think he's turning a lot of fans off with his recent actions toward the team.

I don't necessarily think that Lavar has blown anything with the fans. In my mind, he's arguably still the most popular player on this team, and still loved by almost all.

All in all, I think that if anything, Lavar is on a shorter leash with the fans. However, he hasn't fallen out of favour with them. When a player makes negative comments, they don't go unnoticed and certainly are not forgotten by fans. Most fans would agree that Lavar has to elevate his game and finally take it to that next level. Consequently, the only thing that I believe has resulted from the whole Arrington contract situation is the fact that he will be under a larger microscope and more scrutiny from us, the fans. He won't be given the benefit of the doubt anymore. When he screws up, he's going to hear it like anybody else now. Greater pressure will certainly be on LA to perform at his best.

Hard to say. I think he's received a consistant amount of critisism by some fans for his play on the field and the off field antics haven't helped much I imagine. But Ithink overall he's still a fan favorite. He does tend to leave it all on the field.

This is the year he needs to blow it wide open; with the new scheme there should be no exuses. I'm wondering if he'll get to Brad in game one. I would love to see him dropped like a sac o' putotas! Cheers!:twitch:

I don't believe it is a matter of intelligence, more a maturate matter. Him blowing assignments, being mad at Marvin Lewis about the way he was used and now this thing about his contract. He doesn’t seem to want to be accountable for his actions, blaming someone else. Not his fault his contact was missing this bonus, trying to blame the Team instead of his agents.

I agree that LaVar seems to have a genuine love for the game, although the money-grubbing he has been doing in the last few months really does compromise that image.

Obviously, none of us can know, but I think he really does intend as much as anyone to stay with this team for his career.

BTW, on the jersey issue/likeness use issue--that hardly means that he's not into the massive marketing machine side of pro sports. He only didn't sign with the NFLPA originally because he felt like he deserved a greater cut from the sales of his jersey and likeness than every other player in the NFLPA. That was money, pure and simple.

Maybe to the crybaby sensitive fans he has lost it. To me the quotes I heard from him about how he isnt going to worry about the grievance or let it afffect his play and his willingness to play DE tells me that he is Mr. Redskin.

LaVar has the chance to be the greatest LB in Redskin History! Better than Sam Huff, Monte Coleman, Neal Olkewitz or Wilbur Marshall.

He could be the next Darrell Green as being a fan favorite and the corner stone of a team. Just hope that he does not let the business side of things get in the was of what could be one of the greatest careers in Redskin History. :cheers:

We are to respectfully wait until the FINAL word is out legally if we want facts in print on his issues. Otherwise we can believe what we want and will always feel what we want.

This isn't a thing like you like the guy or you don't. I believe LaVar's image to fans was a Lawrence Taylor clone destroying defenses so bad, he had to be accounted for on "EVERY" play, just like his idol. The truth is, mainly based on how he was used and his buying into a program immediately, full flush, it cost him that edge to at least remind people of LT or even the late Derrick Thomas ( of Kansas CitY).

This shouldn't be held against him or the stupidity of very obvious unprofessional, selfish, money vacuuming lawyers. Trying the best imitation of claiming money through their client to fullfill other monetary obligations, not related to their client or his case.

LaVar WILL distance himself from some fans if he keeps these clowns, when the FINAL legal nail is hammered home. Most will still support him. (I added the last line late).

Gregg Williams was the head coach for the Bills last year and the defense rank 2nd overall. Takeo Spikes had a monster year under Williams system, so I expect the same from Lavar Arrington.

Lavar's comin out party has to be this season. He has to get 100+tackles, 6-8 sacks,4-5 force fumbles this season. Lavar is a more versatile player than Takeo Spikes, so there no reason why he can't get these numbers.

LaVar is my favorite LB in the NFL, but Spikes is definately up there on my list....and I don't see too many differences between them to be honest. Both are incredible athletes and put the team before themselves ON THE FIELD. Both have killer work ethics...

Originally posted by Big O

Gregg Williams was the head coach for the Bills last year and the defense rank 2nd overall. Takeo Spikes had a monster year under Williams system, so I expect the same from Lavar Arrington.

Lavar's comin out party has to be this season. He has to get 100+tackles, 6-8 sacks,4-5 force fumbles this season. Lavar is a more versatile player than Takeo Spikes, so there no reason why he can't get these numbers.

Arrington already had 6 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, and 11 pass defenses last year. He is simply put, the most versatile linebacker in the league. Julian Peterson comes the closest.

Keeping in mind too, that Lavar under Marvin Lewis had 67 tackles, 11 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 1 TD. And apparently Williams may use Lavar in a similar fashion as Lewis as times.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Keeping in mind too, that Lavar under Marvin Lewis had 67 tackles, 11 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 1 TD. And apparently Williams may use Lavar in a similar fashion as Lewis as times.

Damn only 67 tackles. Wowzers!!! This going to change this season. I say LA will get over 100 tackles.

Keep in mind now that Lavar played DE and also dropped into coverage alot under Lewis, and still caused major havoc, ( okay, so there were some missed tackles too. hand injury I believe), so don't get too caught up in those stats. rmember what Marvin said late that season. Teams started planning for Lavar. And that is a disruption in its own right.

Look,

Bottomline up Front is: NO WAY!

He has a point that the team has jerked him around with a new coach and/or scheme every year. I would be frustrated too. And unless he was a Redskins fan as a kid, he probably doesn't REALLY REALLY know his return means.

The issue about the contract can also be understandable somewhat. You are supposed to be to trust your agent. Someday the sun will come out and LaVar will see the light on this one.

Once Gibbs gets the team and the whole organization starightened out and we start winning, LaVar will be fine.

He has displayed leadership and he is an obvious talent, so I DEF don't think he has burned any bridges yet. I don't he even close.

What re the other issues? Am I missing something tat has the majority of respondants complaining that he is close to blowing it?

Fill me in.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

He is simply put, the most versatile linebacker in the league. Julian Peterson comes the closest.

There are a lot of interpetations like this when talking about LA.

If you look at his stats from last year he ranks near the BOTTOM of the LB's in solo tackles & combined tackles. Simply put he's the most OVERPAID player on the team, given his on field (under)performance, except for Chris Samuels. I'm at a loss to see what others see in him. Potential sure, demonstrated on field performance- occassionally, to be the highest paid player at his position- bad investment.

Two things:

1) I like the fact that although he has a contract dispute with the team, he has said that it wouldn't affect his play or commitment to the team.

2) I like the fact that he was mature enough to go on record and say he was wrong to complain about the way Marvin Lewis used him and would like to give him a call and admit he was wrong.

In my eyes those are both very mature ways to handle each situation.

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

There are a lot of interpetation like this when talking about LA.

If you look at his stats from last year he ranks near the BOTTOM of the LB's in solo tackles & combined tackles. Simply put he's the most OVERPAID player on the team, given on field performance, except for Chris Samuels. I'm at a loss to see what others see in him. Potential sure, demonstrated on field performance- occassionally, to be the highest paid player at his position- bad investment.

That is the furthest off base analysis I have seen in WEEKS on this board, which is saying something. The aggregate number of tackles is a ridiculous statistic to go by. It is heavily influenced by scheme and position. Not only does Lavar not play in the middle, but teams constantly account for him, double team him, run away from him, etc. People like Derek Smith regularly rack up well over 100 tackles a year, but no one is suggesting he is anything more than an average linebacker in this league. And here's some more food for thought. The more you are used at the line to rush the passer, the less tackles you get. Go look it up if you don't believe me. You certainly are at a loss....for something.

Originally posted by DraftNik

BTW, on the jersey issue/likeness use issue--that hardly means that he's not into the massive marketing machine side of pro sports. He only didn't sign with the NFLPA originally because he felt like he deserved a greater cut from the sales of his jersey and likeness than every other player in the NFLPA. That was money, pure and simple.

I'd like to see where you got this info. As I understand it LaVar Had promised his father he would never sell out his name. I don't have a hard source on this; just something I rememeber hearing awhile back.

Archived