Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I quit...Smoking (edited title)

Woofer

I have been smoke free for exactly 7 days.

Edit: I smoked about a pack to a pack and a half a day, for about 25 years.

Thanks for all the great encouragement and stories - you all are an inspiration.

:point2sky

Edit as of May 8

So far so good, but the second week has actually been worse in some ways than the first.

Partly due to the fact that my addiction has developed a voice and is talking to me. It says things like,

"You can handle one smoke, go ahead, you deserve it."

"You can have just one. And then back to the quit."

"Spend $4 on a pack, just smoke one, and throw the rest away. That will teach you a lesson!"

Edit as of May 25, 10:00 pm -

Tomorrow is my 30 day anniversary for being smoke free.

My addiction no longer talks to me. There are plenty of times I would still like to have a smoke, but resistance is not futile.

If any smokers out there would like a "friend" who understands while they quit smoking, just let me know.

I had the support of some former smokers at work, and that really helps.

I have been smoke free since the end of last September. I will not lie to you, it has been very hard.

The patches were the only thing that worked for me and they really helped me through the cravings. As I type this my 3 year old daughter is standing here. She is one major reason that I quit and continue to stay smoke free today.

Good luck and just take it one day at a time.

My mom smoked for about 30 + years before quitting, for the first time. Over the next 16 years she started and stopped several times, each time more difficult thant the last and it seemed that each time she started it was worse than before. Patch is what woked for her. That and the health problems that started to really get her after awhile.

Keep it up. I never started smoking and hope I never do. I chewed Tobacco and rubbed snuff for ten years and was able to quit cold turkey. That in itself was very hard. I am glad I quit though I have alot more money in my pocket.

My mom died this January at the age of 63 with lung cancer. I'm not preaching, but there are better ways to go. She could've lived to see her grandkids grow up. I miss her.

Stay with it. And for those who haven't quit. Try again. Maybe the next time will be your success story.

Good for you Woofer...way to go :notworthy

Originally posted by IAMBG

What made you do it? Elaborate please.

Cold turkey? Patch/Gum?

I'd like to quit, but every time I try I fail.

I was recently very ill. For a few days, breathing was very difficult. I thought to myself, this must be what emphasema (sp?) is like.

Near the end of my recovery, I had a chest x-ray taken. I was scared to death of what they would find, after more than 25 years of smoking...

The X-rays turned up negative, but I remember that fear. And the little taste of "emphasema" gave me the motivation I needed.

As for how - for the first week, I cut back drastically, chewing a piece of the nicotine gum whenever to help me through.

Last Sunday, I smoked my last whole cigarette. On Tuesday, I was having a bad day at work, and bummed a cig from a friend. I felt like I just could not make it without one. I smoked about half of it, and stubbed it out. It was not helping my problems go away. I think that actually helped me to be even more determined to quit. From then on, I used the gum to help me get through any rough spots. I have not had any gum since Friday.

I do not want to die in a hospital bed with tubes up my nose and a hole in my throat that I need to cover when I want to talk.

That's my motivation.

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

so do u ever actually forget about smoking or do u have smoking in the back of ur mind the rest of ur life??

Everybody is different, but the thoughts go away.

June is my 2 year anniversary.

I still miss it :)... but my Mo in law and bro in law smoke in the house and the car around me and it doesnt bother me...

I did the gum for 2-3 weeks and then went cold due to people talking about becoming addicted to the gum...

still you aint gonna die from gum lung cancer :)

Originally posted by Thiebear

June is my 2 year anniversary.

I still miss it :)... but my Mo in law and bro in law smoke in the house and the car around me and it doesnt bother me...

I did the gum for 2-3 weeks and then went cold due to people talking about becoming addicted to the gum...

still you aint gonna die from gum lung cancer :)

2 years! :notworthy

My Father-in law smoked a lot about 30 some years ago and then decided one day to stop. Quit cold turkey and never had a smoke since. What he did to help him was ever time he wanted to buy some smokes he would put the money in a box of sorts. He then saw how much money he was wasting and this helped him even more.

My father also used to smoke a lot but one day he want to the dentist and it was so painful to clean his teeth he gave it up as well.

I have been lucky that smoking never did anything for me so never got into it.

Good Luck!!!

Originally posted by IAMBG

What made you do it? Elaborate please.

Cold turkey? Patch/Gum?

I'd like to quit, but every time I try I fail.

BG - Here is my story. I interviewed with Phillip Morris for a sales position with them and to listen to these people talk about smokers made me quit. -- I actually smoked 3 more cigarettes that night after the interview (it was a dinner) and I quit right then and there.

I didn't enjoy being told that I could not think freely and that marketing drives the product home. (Average smoker sees 17 advertisements for cigarettes before they buy the first pack of the day)

I wont ever forget when my folks both quit at thye same time. i was in high school and it was harder on me then it was them. They were royal pains in the arse. They had attitudes and ate everything in the house..

My dad quit cold turkey. My mom actually went to a hypnotist and she stopped that day and never touched another one. I remember her getting sick at a restaraunt a few days later from the smell of them and she had just quit.

I think the thing for me to not ever smoke was one, I saw my folks and did not want that. I also could see what smoking does to people in the long run. You can tell by jus looking at people if they smoke by their skin and their voices most times. It ages you.

4 months for me. I still think about it sometimes. Mealtimes, knocking back a few, and that first cup of black coffee in the morning. :drool:

Other than that, I have had good success with the gum.

Nicest thing is the extra cash. COnsidering that cigs are about 40 a carton up here. Carton a week x 52 weeks. Mucho dinero!!! more money for Redskins stuff for the addition on my house.

Stay with it man, If I can quit, anyone can.

:thumbsup:

Good for you!!!! Keep it up. After about 3-4 weeks the hard part is done and you'll only have mild cravings every once in a while.

I smoked for 15 years. 1.5 packs a day. I quit cold turkey one day (Sept 5, 1999) when my best friend bet me a round of golf that I couldnt do it. What he failed to do was specify WHERE the round of golf would take place. A year later he was shelling out 4 bills to pay for me to play at Pebble Beach.

Keep it up man, you can make it. And you'll have great rewards waiting for you. Food will taste better. You'll have more energy. No more hacking.

If you find yourself slipping, get into a support group ASAP.

Archived