Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thoughts: Redskins vs. Cardinals

KDawg

16 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Can't really use RPO's while Under Center, which hurts our ability to exploit certain looks.  The Eagles used an extensive amount of RPO's against the Vikings in the playoffs, to combat Harrison Smith.

Why do RPOs have to be available in every situation?

Under center has it's list of advantages as well. Playaction is much more effective under center than in gun. The QB turns his back to hand off, which means the linebackers can't cheat by eyeing the football on action. It also means the back can conceal the back for a split second longer and give the receivers a chance for separation.

Under center also lets the RB get downhill fast. 

A running back doesn't have to be utilized in every situation. Perine can function out of the gun and run downhill hard. He looked much improved in preseason. We may see less of AP if they want to exploit the RPO stuff. It's beneficial because then AP can get less wear on the tires. The Skins may also say, "don't care, we're going to run the ball down their throats".

Versatility is the name of the game in 2018. 

16 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I was just going to say that:

Hats off to Lavau, he gets trashed here so much but he did play well on Sunday. As did the rest of the line. 

The truth is he's never been as bad as people here have said. I've pointed that out many times.

He's not the best LG in the league. But he's a good option. Especially considering cost/ability ratios.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:49 PM, KDawg said:

I like the idea of a thread started the next day after a game so we can all get our thoughts together with some reflection and throw some observations out there. .....

*Whispers ‘Hey Coach. Some funny talking dude used to do that with his ‘Observations’ thread was a really well received staple around these here parts.’

Then he got bored of the way football was going in general and stopped posting much in the stadium.

Just remembering like. ;)

Hail. 

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

*Whispers ‘Hey Coach. Some funny talking dude used to do that with his ‘Observations’ thread was a really well received staple around these here parts.’

Then he got bored of the way football was going in general and stopped posting much in the stadium.

Just remembering like. ;)

Hail. 

Are you talking about Burgold? He still does his too. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Under center has it's list of advantages as well. Playaction is much more effective under center than in gun. The QB turns his back to hand off, which means the linebackers can't cheat by eyeing the football on action. It also means the back can conceal the back for a split second longer and give the receivers a chance for separation.

I was reading that we used RPO's about a dozen times with Smith, and most of them resulted in better than expected outcomes.  If Smith can use RPO to decide to hand it off when the backside LB is frozen by indecision, that's one less guy in pursuit and gives our blockers an easier time making decisions.

So far, I've liked what I've seen from Smith's mental side of the game.  He's making some good pre-snap and post-snap defensive reads.  I feel like that's a little more limited to pre-snap while Under Center.  There's certainly strengths to having him Under Center.  But what I want is for the defense to see Peterson in while Smith is Under Center, the D make's an adjustment and Smith sees that, he audibles to Shotgun and does a RPO.

I want the defense thinking everything is on the table when Peterson is in, not just run or play action.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm not saying we abandon playing with Smith Under Center.  We need to have run plays in that work to Peterson's strengths.  I just want our offense to not be this or that when he's in, I want the ability for Smith to say "oh crap", and audible into something effective.

I worry that if we go somewhere, and we play against a team with talented mobile guys like Harrison Smith, Malcolm Jenkins, etc that we need to have a solution when they get moved all over the place.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are you talking about Burgold? He still does his too. 

I would rather say that he was talking about:

The Good, (usually short part, Trent Williams & Kerrigan)

The Bad, (often the longest part, every other guy on the roster and coaching Staff)

The Meh! (which was also often long and focused on ST mostly and fire Danny Smith).

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I would rather say that he was talking about:

The Good, (usually short part, Trent Williams & Kerrigan)

The Bad, (often the longest part, every other guy on the roster and coaching Staff)

The Meh! (which was also often long and focused on ST mostly and fire Danny Smith).

I know. He doesn't post much any more so I've got to bust his balls when I can. 

On 9/13/2018 at 7:28 AM, KDawg said:

A running back doesn't have to be utilized in every situation. Perine can function out of the gun and run downhill hard. He looked much improved in preseason. We may see less of AP if they want to exploit the RPO stuff. It's beneficial because then AP can get less wear on the tires. The Skins may also say, "don't care, we're going to run the ball down their throats".

Versatility is the name of the game in 2018. 

The truth is he's never been as bad as people here have said. I've pointed that out many times.

He's not the best LG in the league. But he's a good option. Especially considering cost/ability ratios.

I dont know about all that.. he can be pretty awful in pass protection.  I have seen him get completly man handled a ton over the last few years.  But in run support when he is healthy yes he can play pretty well.

Archived