Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Sports Mount Rushmore, Post 1900

Spaceman Spiff

On 3/5/2018 at 8:44 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mt Rushmore of coaches for the four major revenue sports:

Scotty Bowman, John Wooden, Bill Walsh, and then who?  Casey Stengel?

1)  I like the Bowman choice. I think that would unanimous for everyone that follows hockey.  I cant even think of a close second....maybe  Jacques Lemaire, only because the neutral zone trap was so effective and brilliant that it damn near killed the sport.

2)  As much as it pains me, I think Phil Jackson might be the rep for basketball.  Was he the blessed to have two of the most talented players of all time?  Yes, but in both cases, he's the reason those talents learned how to be champions.  

3)  Bill Walsh before Lombardi?  Thats very questionable to me.  On what basis?  If it wasnt for the compulsive cheating thing, Bellicheat might have been number one on that list. Thats the thing about Brady and Bellicheat that so frustrating, if they could have controlled their pathological need to cheat, both of them are still  good enough to have won -- I guesstimate like 3 superbowls, but I guess we will never know.   

4)  I dont care enough about baseball to have an opinion on Casey Stengel..

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Did Maradona have an extended run of greatness?  From what I know (not much) he started doing blow and got fat.  

True, but in his prime his ball control skills were unrivaled. Basically the Jaromir Jagr of soccer.

@stevemcqueen1 - I like that choice with Stengel. Not only did he win but he changed the game in a big way, especially with platooning. 

I'd propose John McGraw for that spot, though. His 31 years with the Giants, all in the 20th century so it counts, are astounding. 10 Pennants, 3 World Series, and an average finish between 2nd and 3rd place (2.5 place according to the Baseball Reference website). In both the dead ball and live ball era, those Giants teams were fixtures in the first division. I don't think we will (or could) see the likes of McGraw again.

17 hours ago, Koala said:

3)  Bill Walsh before Lombardi?  Thats very questionable to me.  On what basis?  If it wasnt for the compulsive cheating thing, Bellicheat might have been number one on that list. Thats the thing about Brady and Bellicheat that so frustrating, if they could have controlled their pathological need to cheat, both of them are still  good enough to have won -- I guesstimate like 3 superbowls, but I guess we will never know.   

Lombardi over Walsh is fair, and I think most people would agree with you.  Walsh gets my vote because I believe he was equally influential on the sport and the league, but that his success came in a more competitive era for the NFL.  I don't put Belichick in their category, not just for the systemic cheating he oversaw, but because I don't think he transformed the game the way Walsh and Lombardi did.  I can't think of what his defining innovation is in his legacy.

17 hours ago, Koala said:

2)  As much as it pains me, I think Phil Jackson might be the rep for basketball.  Was he the blessed to have two of the most talented players of all time?  Yes, but in both cases, he's the reason those talents learned how to be champions.  

I think Wooden might be the greatest coach in any sport.  No one will ever even come close to matching his resume in CBB.  And to be frank, the NCAA has been a lot more competitive than the NBA and NCAA coaches are much more impactful than NBA coaches.  10 NCAA titles is more impressive than 11 rings, especially since you could have auto-piloted 90's Jordan and early 2000's Shaq to rings.  In the NBA, having overwhelming talent can damn near guarantee a championship in the offseason.  In the NCAA, it doesn't even guarantee you'll make the tourney.

Jackson was a great coach, but Poppovich would get my vote as the better and more impactful NBA coach.  

Pat Riley doesn't enter in the dicussion as the greatest NBA coach? Like Jackson, only coach to win championships with multiple NBA teams; unlike Jackson, he wasnt blessed with Jordan, Pippen, Grant and the rest of Chicago's amazing squad.

I'll be boring and go Jordan, Gretzky, Brady and Ruth.  

But a name that I will bring up for discussion:  Dr. James Naismith.  

7 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Pat Riley doesn't enter in the dicussion as the greatest NBA coach? Like Jackson, only coach to win championships with multiple NBA teams; unlike Jackson, he wasnt blessed with Jordan, Pippen, Grant and the rest of Chicago's amazing squad.

I mean, it's not like Riley lead a rag-tag band of nobodies to championships.  

Archived