Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Sports Mount Rushmore, Post 1900

Spaceman Spiff

Let's see if you bedwetters can stay on topic, unlike the last thread I started....

Your Sports Mount Rushmore, Post 1900.  I think there was a similar thread on this a long time ago but I can't remember if it was dedicated to as specific sport.  Anyway a good debate topic.

Acceptable:  A player who was playing in the 1890's and into the 1900's like Cy Young who started playing baseball in 1890 and finished in 1911.

4 spots only.  That's obvious but I feel like I need to explain the obvious to some of you.

Can include coaches/managers or any peripheral characters like commissioners, sportswriters, etc.  If you want Bert Sugar, Kennessaw Mountain Landis,  Vince Lombardi,  and Pete Rozelle on your Mount Rushmore, go right ahead.

Explain your answers.

Here's mine:

Jackie Robinson - Some can argue that he was as important to the Civil Rights movement as MLK was.  Despite all the rightfully deserved credit he gets for breaking the color barrier, he was a hell of a ballplayer and all around athlete, too.  Also played football at UCLA and was an NCAA track champion, too.

Babe Ruth - Changed the way the game of baseball was played forever.  Transcended the game, was universally beloved by an entire country.  Can still be considered the greatest baseball player ever.  Probably the biggest sports icon of the first half of the 1900's.

Muhammad Ali - Can't say anything that hasn't already been said about him.  Fantastic boxer who was a part of many memorable fights, social justice warrior, anti war activist, comedian and national treasure.

Michael Jordan - You could argue that he singlehandedly saved the NBA.  Bird and Magic were doing great things to rehabilitate the league as well but Jordan took it to another level.  Teaming up with Nike, he took sports marketing to a more sophisticated level that had never seen before.  Not only influenced the NBA but pop culture as well.  You can't walk more than 5 minutes without seeing his influence somewhere.  For my money, the best basketball player ever.

What I don't like about my Mount Rushmore is that there isn't a football player on there.  While football is the most popular sport in the States, I can't think of someone that could knock off any of the 4 that I have listed.  In other words Jim Brown was a great player but I don't think he was a bigger social justice warrior than Jackie Robinson or Muhammad Ali.  I could have said Tom Brady but I wouldn't have felt comfortable with replacing Michael Jordan with him.  

I also don't like that I left off someone who wasn't based in the USA like Pele or Wayne Gretzky, but let's be real, the USA is the best and it's soccer and hockey we're talking about.  In the words of Kenny Powers, "I honestly feel that the USA is the best country and all the other countries aren't as good.  That used to be called patriotism."

I also considered Tiger Woods, but nah.  

Anyway, those are my 4 and I'm sticking to them. 

For now.

Hmm, with my newfound amazement of Jim Thorpe, he has to be on there.  So, one spot for Thorpe.

2nd spot would have to be Muhammed Ali, because hes the baddest mother****er of all time.

3rd spot would be Babe Ruth.  Nobody has ever dominated any sport in its golden age the way Babe Ruth dominated baseball.  We will never see that level of dominance ever again in any major sport.  Babe Ruth was an outlier among outliers.

4th spot would be Rex Grossman.  Hes going deep mother****ers!

Actually 4th spot would be my dark horse but i would argue his dominance, sigbificance, and brilliance with anyone... Ben Hogan.  

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

also considered Tiger Woods, but nah.  

Seriously man, do a bit of reading on Ben Hogan.  Youll be sucked into a wormhole and absolutely amazed that you once thought Nicklaus orr Woods could even caddy for the guy

Golf is one sport that I would also argue has gotten EASIER over time.  Much, much easier.  What hogan did with wood shafts, persimon heads, and irons with a sweet spot the size of an atom puts all others to shame.

s-l225.jpg

Are we talking specifically about North American sports? Because I'm sure there's plenty of soccer/rugby players who deserve to be on it but I don't know a damn thing about them.

-Jim Thorpe: goes without saying

-Babe Didrikson Zaharias: same 

-Jim Brown: one of the few multi-generational talents in pro football. Football fans have a habit of writing off folks who played 20 years before they were born but Brown seems to be one of the few guys everyone agrees could probably play in any generation 

-For the fourth spot, I'm conflicted because the baseball fan in me wants to give it to Ruth or Buck Leonard or Josh Gibson, the American sports historian (albeit a permanent amateur) in me wants to give it to a boxer like Ali or Joe Lewis, but the budding hockey fan in me wants to give it to Gretzky or Orr or Gordie Howe.

So you know what? I'm just gonna say Pele for the fourth spot.  

image.jpg

Way to go, Pele.

4 probably isn't enough spots but I tried to pick one from the big 4 each

This leaves out people like Ali and Thorpe who are very deserving too.

NHL Head - Gretzky.  Just blew everyone out of the water in the sport.

NFL Head - Brady.  This one is iffy somewhat but just like how Lincoln suspended habeas corpus for a time and Jefferson owned slaves, you don't need to be a perfect person to be on Mount Rushmore, you need to be good in your lane, and that Brady has managed to do what he's done for as long as he's done it is insane.

NBA Head - Jordan.  Duh.

MLB Head - Babe Ruth.  My thoughts mostly covered above.

Babe Ruth, Wilt Chamberlain, Jesse Owens (he's my Teddy Roosevelt, importance for a moment in time. But, to me one of the most transcendent moments in worldwide sports) & Tom Brady (to me, more impressive than Jordan)

I feel like Ali, Ruth, and Jordan are must haves. All three were incredibly important to the evolution of sports in this country. Ali is the greatest prize fighter ever and greatest individual sports athlete ever who popularized boxing. Ruth put baseball/team sports on the map. Jordan really revolutionized the marketability and earnings potential for athletes in the modern era.

After that, I'm not sure. Probably Michael Phelps for the Olympics/international factor.

Wayne Gretzky- Most dominate team sport athlete ever. His records are ridiculous, all from a guy who looks like he is about to join his father's accounting firm.

Michael Jordan- Obvious addition. How many figures have their name continually used as the barometer of superiority? "He's the Michael Jordan of _____"

Muhammad Ali- Not only a once in a lifetime athlete, skill-wise, also one of the most recognizable personalities ever in sports. The guy represents more than boxing and more than being brash. He is an icon of personal conviction and social friction in 20th century America.

Jim Brown- I was tempted to go Brady but honestly, his style of play doesn't really represent athletics in the way that Jim Brown dominated a football field. He gets the nod for being a couple levels above everybody else at a position that is reliant on physical and athletic prowess. Also, he was an all around tank at sports including lacrosse.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I didn't include Babe Ruth because although he was a demigod and humongous figure in American sports history, he wasn't a particularly good ambassador for his sport sans his ridiculous talent. Played drunk, hungover, out of shape, etc. He's a badass no doubt to be able to dominate and not really maximize his talent wth discipline.

Pele, well I haven't seen him play so I have no idea how good he was besides reputation. I hear Maradona and Messi are on the shortlist for GOAT soccer player.

A golfer? Nah, I respect the game and skill but it's not athletic, no matter what someone tries to tell me other than the pure power and torque of the body. I could never put a golfer next to Jordan and Gretzky in that fashion.

I wanted to include Walter Payton just because I like him as a player and humble guy but he's probably Third Tier Rushmore.

I've always been a Kobe > LeBron guy at least from a personal preference but LeBron should be either on Rushmore or the very next option. The only knock on him in that regard is 3/8 in the NBA Finals. Not to mention the league let him get away with whatever he wanted to for a number of years. Some of his big wins, particularly some vs WSH in the playoffs, hinged on him violating the rules and never being called for it

Since its Mt. Rushmore, I assume you mean only American athletes, That would automatically exclude 1)Pele and 2)Gretzky , how are hands-down the most dominant athletes of their sports of all time, and no objective observer would argue its even close. 

3)  Ali was not as dominant in his sport as those two -- he did lose to Frazier fair and square in round one, and only won round 2 because he decided he would rather die than lose to Frazier twice -- which probably makes him the greatest competitor of all time.  Add in his recognizability, impact on society, and international fame -- Ali belongs next to Pele and Gretzky on an international Mt. Rushmore

4)  Jesse Owens -- for historical purposes, and because anyone he put up a giant finger to Adolf Hitler and single-handedly destroyed his theory of a master, superior race deserves a spot  

AMERICAN MT. RUSHMOE

1-Ali.

2--Owens

3--Lombardi

4--Jordan

Sad to think that our own Alex Ovechkin could have been on this list, if it were not for the pathalogical

incompetence Caps front office. Ovechkin in his prime was a player than the NHL had never

seen before -- the speed of Pavel Bure, the physical brutality of Eric Lindros, the thunderous shot of Brett Hull, the charisma

of Mark Messier. All of it wasted by a weak, timid GM George McPhee and an inflexible, unadaptable coach Barry Trotz.

There are so many nuances that make people definitely worthy of a spot on a Mount Rushmore..  guys like Jackie Robonson, Michael Jordan, Jim Thorpe, Michael Phelps, Serena Williams, Jesse Owens, all worthy for many reason, many of which are for contributions that reach beyond sports, but still their talent makes them worth consideration.. so rather than try to balance all those arguments, I'll go with these 4

Babe Ruth - the first superstar,, transcended sports into popular American culture and into legend. Paved the way for all sports culture since.

Muhammad Ali - The greatest, period. 

Bill Russell - Also the greatest. The Celtics have to be seen as one of the truly greatest of the great teams across all sports, and no one exemplifies them better than Russell.

Jim Brown-  Maybe the greatest American athlete. Hard to tell since he concentrated on relatively few sports, but i think Jim Brown would dominate in any sport he'd have tried.

~Bang

Basketball's Mt Rushmore is really easy:

1 Jordan

2 Kareem

3 Russell

4 Magic

Hockey isn't too bad:

1 Gretzky

2 Orr

3 Lemieux

4 Howe

Baseball's Mt Rushmore is harder, but doable.

1 Ruth

2 Mays

3 Aaron

4 Cy Young/Jackie Robinson/Ted Williams/Ty Cobb/Honus Wagner/Walter Johnson depending on your criteria

All of the other sports are impossible.  Good luck figuring out who the fourth golfer or boxer should be.  Or the other three for men's tennis and soccer.  Or any of them for football.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Gretzky, Jordan, Ali, Ruth. 

Mainly for iconic status reasons.  Because I wouldnt really put Ruth up there otherwise contextually, based on what the game was when he played.  

This would be my list too.  Ruth is definitely deserving.  Out of the four sports, baseball has changed the least over the last 100 years.  You can compare all live ball era numbers except for the known steroid guys.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

All of the other sports are impossible.  Good luck figuring out who the fourth golfer or boxer should be.  Or the other three for men's tennis and soccer.  Or any of them for football.

I'll give soccer a shot:

1. Pele

2. Diego Maradonna

3. Lionel Messi

4. Franz Beckenbauer

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mt Rushmore of coaches for the four major revenue sports:

Scotty Bowman, John Wooden, Bill Walsh, and then who?  Casey Stengel?

Wooden coached the UCLA mens basketball team, not an NBA team. 

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Wooden coached the UCLA mens basketball team, not an NBA team. 

I was unclear.  I meant the four sports with a major revenue pro league.  Not that the coach had to have worked in them.  You could reasonably substitute Walsh with Rockne.  College Football and Basketball are unique among amateur sports in their level of competitiveness, fan interest, and innovation in their sports that they cause.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I'll give soccer a shot:

1. Pele

2. Diego Maradonna

3. Lionel Messi

4. Franz Beckenbauer

A worthy list, but what about Cruyff?  Or Yashin?  Or Zidane?  Soccer has been too competitive and had too many great players and there are few perfect resumes.

On 3/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

A worthy list, but what about Cruyff?  Or Yashin?  Or Zidane?  Soccer has been too competitive and had too many great players and there are few perfect resumes.

I think the top 3 are set in stone: Pele, Maradonna, Messi. You just can't top those three. After that it is debatable. Personally, being of French ancestry (I' m a quarter French), I'm a huge Zidane fan. But Zidane really only had a burst of huge success -- the 1998 World Cup, and then the 2000 Euros. He didn't have any really prolonged success. In fact, after 2000, he wasn't even the best player on the Franch National Team  -- Thiery Henry was.

I never saw Beckenbauer play, but from all accounts the guy was the real deal. He was said to have really invented the "sweeper" position in soccer. 

But arguments can be made for Johan Cruyff, George Best, Cristiano Ronaldo, Michele Platini, a bunch of others.   

Archived