Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins have the rustiest rings.

PapaLazarou

19 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

There is no reason to ever accept less than the best.  I don't see why anyone would be content with winning 30 years ago.

That might be the team's biggest problem if they don't make some big changes very soon. They can only go on nostalgia fumes for so long.

Just as a reminder: if you were 5-years-old the last time the 'Skins won the Super Bowl, you're in your early 30s today. We're already getting two generations removed from the "glory years." 

2 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

That might be the team's biggest problem if they don't make some big changes very soon. They can only go on nostalgia fumes for so long.

Just as a reminder: if you were 5-years-old the last time the 'Skins won the Super Bowl, you're in your early 30s today. We're already getting two generations removed from the "glory years." 

I was six.  It is awful.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

I was six.  It is awful.

I was about to turn 10-months old. 

And listen, I love watching the old highlight reels. I wore out the VHS my dad had of the 1991 Yearbook - so much so I thought Harry Kalas & Fank Herzog were the voices of the 'Skins. I love hearing stories of RFK rocking and rolling when the team was good but that is so far removed from anything I or most anyone under the age of 30 or 35 has actually experienced that it's like talking about another team. It's like you all hearing your parents talk about Sammy Baugh and Andy Farkas tearing it up at old Griffith Stadium. 

It's all getting really old and for, what seems to be, the majority of NFL fans who don't care about anything that happened before they were born, it's irrelevant. We've got a generation (and we're in danger of it being another generation) of fans who associate this team with little more than mediocrity, terrible front office decisions, and tragically losing a promising young player in the prime of his career. 

What's really sad is that we might move out of FedEx Field without even hosting a divisional round game at the place.

I've heard the case from others about the droughts teams have had after a 20-year-run like we had, and our expectations were surely raised due to that run, but still. Especially in the salary cap era, which begs for teams to get out of ruts.  

NFC East since 1999 season (just coincidentally, Snyder's first season, and six seasons of quasi-rebuilding had occurred after Gibbs left):

Eagles: 12 winning seasons (including two 13-3, two 12-4, three 11-5), 2 8-8, 5 losing seasons........and two SB appearances (and now one Lombardi)

Giants:  9 winning seasons (including two 12-4 and two 11-5), 2 8-8, 8 losing seasons......and three SB appearances (two Lombardis)

Cowboys: 9 winning seasons (including two 13-3, one 12-4, one 11-5), 4 8-8, 6 losing seasons.......not even NFCCG appearance.

Skins: 6 winning seasons (three at 10-6), 3 8-8, 10 losing seasons.......no NFCCG appearance.

Talk about bringing up the rear. 

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

There is no reason to ever accept less than the best.  I don't see why anyone would be content with winning 30 years ago.

if that were really true, QBs wouldnt last 5 years for fear of further injury. Players would be injured at a much higher rate and each owner would have their lawyers in  court day in and out, disputing calls that cost them games etc. While giving coaches no more than 2 and a half years annually ,if they didnt win.All the owners care about is cash=bottom line.

until and unless you convince 50 to 100 thousand people to never show up to a Redskins home game for 4 games or a season, They wont care.

even then its debatable because tv money makes home attendance almost unneeded .

25 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

if that were really true, QBs wouldnt last 5 years for fear of further injury. Players would be injured at a much higher rate and each owner would have their lawyers in  court day in and out, disputing calls that cost them games etc. While giving coaches no more than 2 and a half years annually ,if they didnt win.All the owners care about is cash=bottom line.

until and unless you convince 50 to 100 thousand people to never show up to a Redskins home game for 4 games or a season, They wont care.

even then its debatable because tv money makes home attendance almost unneeded .

But yet you have teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and Eagles that have had damn good track records over the past 20 years in this era of big money. Besides getting fortunate with great QB play, how have these teams been able to rise above?

On 2/4/2018 at 7:36 PM, Probos said:

Darrell Green carrying the trophy to the podium......wow.

I really didn't see what was wrong with that.. If anything I would have liked to see someone from every NFC east team bring the trophy, as a way of welcoming Philly to the SB family. Every city deserves to experience it once..In the end, we were once the best division in football for a LONG TIME.. We beat the crap out of each other, for a while one of us was always representing the East in the SB and we always won, for the most part.

But Philly was always left out, I mean their '91 team should have been in that NFC championship game vs us. If Randall didn't go down, they still won 10 games and had the #1 D in the NFL despite being the field longer than most teams..It's their time, humble yourself and deal with it.. Maybe sometime soon we can shut them up again..

35 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

But yet you have teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and Eagles that have had damn good track records over the past 20 years in this era of big money. Besides getting fortunate with great QB play, how have these teams been able to rise above?

its like I said..its because no one cares. If it sells,let it keep rolling.

are you sure you ment Eagles? well, they have been to playoffs 11 times the last 17 years, 2 SBs, 4 conf. championships. so yeah lol

16 hours ago, thebluefood said:

I was about to turn 10-months old. 

And listen, I love watching the old highlight reels. I wore out the VHS my dad had of the 1991 Yearbook - so much so I thought Harry Kalas & Fank Herzog were the voices of the 'Skins. I love hearing stories of RFK rocking and rolling when the team was good but that is so far removed from anything I or most anyone under the age of 30 or 35 has actually experienced that it's like talking about another team. It's like you all hearing your parents talk about Sammy Baugh and Andy Farkas tearing it up at old Griffith Stadium. 

It's all getting really old and for, what seems to be, the majority of NFL fans who don't care about anything that happened before they were born, it's irrelevant. We've got a generation (and we're in danger of it being another generation) of fans who associate this team with little more than mediocrity, terrible front office decisions, and tragically losing a promising young player in the prime of his career. 

Just wanna say I admire your fandom in light of the fact that you missed out on all the things I got to experience.  I was a senior in high school in '82 when the first Super Bowl championship happened so I was fully aware of its significance.

For the last one in the '91 season, I was fortunate enough to go to both playoff games at RFK.  It's a memory that never fades in my mind.  I still remember everything about that day vividly.

So I salute you for being a Skins fan still and not having had the joy of the experiences I was fortunate enough to have.  You're a true fan in my book.

2 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Just wanna say I admire your fandom in light of the fact that you missed out on all the things I got to experience.  I was a senior in high school in '82 when the first Super Bowl championship happened so I was fully aware of its significance.

For the last one in the '91 season, I was fortunate enough to go to both playoff games at RFK.  It's a memory that never fades in my mind.  I still remember everything about that day vividly.

So I salute you for being a Skins fan still and not having had the joy of the experiences I was fortunate enough to have.  You're a true fan in my book.

I appreciate it but I dunno if I'm really that active of a fan. As I've said elsewhere on the forum, I'm a Redskins fan the same way a lot of Irish people are Catholic: in name only and mostly because of family and geographic connections. I've got a lot of misgivings about the team and have sort of emotionally separated myself from it. The 'Skins were in my life before football so they're less of a sports team and more of a civic institution. 

20 hours ago, hail2skins said:

What's really sad is that we might move out of FedEx Field without even hosting a divisional round game at the place.

I've heard the case from others about the droughts teams have had after a 20-year-run like we had, and our expectations were surely raised due to that run, but still. Especially in the salary cap era, which begs for teams to get out of ruts.  

NFC East since 1999 season (just coincidentally, Snyder's first season, and six seasons of quasi-rebuilding had occurred after Gibbs left):

Eagles: 12 winning seasons (including two 13-3, two 12-4, three 11-5), 2 8-8, 5 losing seasons........and two SB appearances (and now one Lombardi)

Giants:  9 winning seasons (including two 12-4 and two 11-5), 2 8-8, 8 losing seasons......and three SB appearances (two Lombardis)

Cowboys: 9 winning seasons (including two 13-3, one 12-4, one 11-5), 4 8-8, 6 losing seasons.......not even NFCCG appearance.

Skins: 6 winning seasons (three at 10-6), 3 8-8, 10 losing seasons.......no NFCCG appearance.

Talk about bringing up the rear. 

This is something I hate. Just raw facts and it stings. 

Archived