Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

30+ minutes of local D.C. coverage of SB 26 week

Dissident2

This is an awesome time capsule of what this organization and fanbase used to be. As Minnesota prepares to host another Super Bowl, here's a video with more than 30 minutes of great local D.C. coverage the week leading up to the game and some of the postgame mayhem in D.C. Great stuff, and for those who witnessed it, a lot of great memories. 

1.) So good seeing George Michael doing what he did best: talking D.C. sports. We were always partial to Channel 9 growing up but Jim Vance and George Michael were an incredible dynamic duo on Channel 4. 

2.) Really appreciated Joey T.'s candor about what went wrong leading up to Super Bowl XVIII. "Unprepared" and "a Joe Gibbs coached team" are almost always antonyms but it sounds like they really took that game for granted.

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

1.) So good seeing George Michael doing what he did best: talking D.C. sports. We were always partial to Channel 9 growing up but Jim Vance and George Michael were an incredible dynamic duo on Channel 4. 

Can't mention the Channel 9 angle without bringing up Glenn Brenner, the funny sportscaster who was hospitalized for a brain tumor a few days before the NFCCG (he had been hospitalized initially after the issue came up after he ran a marathon in the fall) and died a few days after the game.

I lived outside the DC area for the first two SB wins but came here in mid-1988 for work. I mainly watched the games on TV by myself and only got a chance to go to a few at RFK (Giants and Saints in 1990 and Falcons and Cowboys in 1991) during than run. My relatives in Fairfax had a SB party and remember it being so cool to have everyone in the room clapping after every play. Also remember getting very nervous after the Bills had cut it to 24-10, but then we pulled away.......but was still nervous until the final gun. After the game I drove home and remember I had a Redskins poster in my car that I held up to the window and honked my horn all the way down 66 and 495. 

I was pretty young (11 years old), but I used to religiously listen to Ken Beatrice on WMAL every night.  This was before sports radio was a thing, so it was a huge deal to have a sports-only show for 3 hours every evening. In one of his shows leading up to the game, he teamed up with a Buffalo-area sports station and they let fans of either team call in to talk to both hosts about the game.

I still remember one guys from Buffalo calling in and saying, "Random Trivia: The NFC has won seven straight Super Bowls.  Do you realize that after Sunday, the Redskins will be the bookends on that streak?" I was so angry at the moment that its comical to think about it now.

What's really crazy for me, is that I can look at Redskins' schedules from that era (1989-1992), and I remember ~2/3 of those games for some random fact- the people I was watching with, a key moment, etc.

42 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

I still remember one guys from Buffalo calling in and saying, "Random Trivia: The NFC has won seven straight Super Bowls.  Do you realize that after Sunday, the Redskins will be the bookends on that streak?" I was so angry at the moment that its comical to think about it now.

What's really crazy for me, is that I can look at Redskins' schedules from that era (1989-1992), and I remember ~2/3 of those games for some random fact- the people I was watching with, a key moment, etc.

And after we beat the Bills, they lost two more in a row and then three other AFC teams lost before the Broncos broke the streak and the SB games have actually been very good since.

Yeah, its funny that I also remember a good amount of the games from the late Gibbs 1.0 seasons, but recenrly mentioned on another thread that when they talked about trying to sign Kirk to a LTD right before the 2015 Chicago game, that game had totally vanished from my mind. 

I've watched the overproduced, unnecessary coverage of Super Bowl week these days, I'd probably take the entire week off of work and be glued to it 24/7 if the Redskins were in it.  Looks like my PTO days are safe for a while.

Kind of crazy watching this stuff, and feeling that sense of pride you felt so many moons ago.  This was the first one I can vividly remember.  My mom let me take off of school and took me to work with her so we could attend the parade.  I got the zubaz hat, a pennant, and a shirt.  It's crazy how diluted that feeling is after 25 years.

Archived