Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread [SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Riggo#44

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Darth Maul was like Boba Fett - memorable as a result of costume design/attitude.

And also an awesome lightsaber -- that again Lucasfilm under-utilized.

Maul really comes into his own during Season Four of the Clone Wars. That and not the movie was what really made him memorable.  

just got to watch it.  Waited until I was back with the wife so we could see it together.  Overall, I wasnt a fan of the movie.  I would have needed to take notes to break it all down but I felt it was.........hokey.  Hated Leia flying through space.  Got tired of the dumb jokes, though the "can you hear me now" was really funny.  Ill post more later.

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

just got to watch it.  Waited until I was back with the wife so we could see it together.  Overall, I wasnt a fan of the movie.  I would have needed to take notes to break it all down but I felt it was.........hokey.  Hated Leia flying through space.  Got tired of the dumb jokes, though the "can you hear me now" was really funny.  Ill post more later.

Did you like the "reach out" "can you feel it" joke scene?  I thought that part hilarious.  Some of the jokes fell flat, but others worked. 

15 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I think the entire incredibly valuable franchise rests on awesome light sabers.  If they had replaced the light sabers with anything else, I doubt we'd be talking about it right now. 

The Last Jedi failed to provide a proper light saber duel.  I still enjoyed the movie but my inner child was deeply unhappy about this.   I thought we would get such a scene when Master Luke seemed to be ready to take on Kylo, but then they snatched it away revealing that it was all some sort of force parlor trick. 

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

Did you like the "reach out" "can you feel it" joke scene?  I thought that part hilarious.  Some of the jokes fell flat, but others worked. 

Yea that was pretty damn funny also.  The lame stuff like at the end Leia to Luke "i changed my hair" or whatever was really bad though.

15 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Maul really comes into his own during Season Four of the Clone Wars. That and not the movie was what really made him memorable.  

A lot of people say this about Darth Maul. He is actually sympathetic in Clone Wars and Lucasfilms did eff all with him.(probably cuz of the actor)

I am telling you all, listen to this podcast with Freddie Prinze Jr who voices Kanan Jarrus in Star Wars Rebels.

It is super insightful not just about Last Jedi, but the Star Wars universe. It is really deep and you learn a lot about these characters and their backstory. I think he knows more about Star Wars than PeterMP does, lol.

https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1294465866/Listen/1514493697/0

tenor.gif

They screwed up based on the core of fans. 

I understand the disdain for what has been presented over the last handful of movies. 

Certain parts of the argument... I agree with also. 

They are trying to sell toys and winning, selling movies and winning. 

Both generations of fans have to admit that it is not (unless financially) what they expected or hoped for with the franchise. 

I am an old ass man and love the concept, the execution of the product is supposed to feed intellect. These recent ones just leave too many holes about what the story should be. 

I agree with @Destino about the saber moments. All of us old fans wanted to see the power of Yoda. It was good and bad. 

The jokes are supposed to supply or replace the explanation of the teaching of the dialogue...ehh. I prefer the more serious tone and the need to explain certain things. 

That is what built the franchise. Recycled jokes is not the same. Typical Disney these days. 

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

A lot of people say this about Darth Maul. He is actually sympathetic in Clone Wars and Lucasfilms did eff all with him.(probably cuz of the actor)

I am telling you all, listen to this podcast with Freddie Prinze Jr who voices Kanan Jarrus in Star Wars Rebels.

It is super insightful not just about Last Jedi, but the Star Wars universe. It is really deep and you learn a lot about these characters and their backstory. I think he knows more about Star Wars than PeterMP does, lol.

https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1294465866/Listen/1514493697/0

I've listened to part of this and but some of the things he's saying just don't seem to jive with the Star Wars universe as we see it now or even he talks about it.  The most fundamental one is the concept of what the Force can do and balance (e.g. Rey being able to duel with Kylo without much training).

The Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic existed for over 1,000 years (which I believe is still cannon) and until the very end there was no significant corresponding "dark" organization.  Unless the Force takes some sort of very long term view of balance, then you run into issues with many of his ideas, and if it takes such a long term view, then I'm not sure why Rey winning or not matters very much at all to the point where the Force would get involved.

Clearly, the short Empire did not balance 1,000 years of ruling by the "light".  And the idea that the Force would have to act or contributing the action of the Force to a single even doesn't make much sense.

Debates over characters behaviors becomes nonsensical.  He's wrong.  Luke wasn't an insecure Jedi. He just ran away because the Force made him.

He's clearly more in touch with the people controlling the stories at this time, but if that's what they are going on, there are several things that are currently cannon (e.g. the length of the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order) that don't seem to jive with what he's saying.

(I also think if that's what they are going to follow, it is going to turn into awful story telling.  If that's your process, then essentially the nature and motivations of the characters becomes irrelevant.  In that context, things like the idea that Obi Wan believes Vader can't be turned is nonsensical.  If the Force wills it, Vader will turn.  But this just leads you to a conclusion that Obi Wan (and Yoda) didn't actually understand the Force.

In the context of their discussion, Kylo is not good or bad and no character can be good or bad.  They are what the Force wills.  Talking about anybody in the Star Wars universe always being bad (or good) becomes nonsensical.

That turns the idea of using the Force on its head.  The Force is not used.  It uses.  The idea of there being a spark for rebellion becomes nonsensical.  There will be a rebellion if the Force desires it.  There is no need for a spark.)

On Tuesday, January 02, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I still think the new movies deserve a huge round of applause for generating two really amazing characters in Rey and Kylo. The prequels created no new memorable characters and significantly diminished, well, a bunch. (Yoda was such an idiot in the prequels).

No one wants to say it, but I will.

Rey and Kylo needed to bone in this film. Aside from 20 minutes of Ford and Fisher in Empires Strikes Back, no male and female have ever had any physical chemistry in a Star Wars film. Those two did.

They bone.

She gets pregnant, and holy jeez, what's that kid going to be like?  A Skywalker having a Jedi baby with another Jedi? They should just name the kid MacGuffin and go from there.

They will.  You don't have a guy carry a bird like this unless it's to show he's into her.  Last time I picked up and carried a girl that way she said "Oh wow this is really romantic.  This is like one of those perfect moments that only happen in a movie."

And in the next movie you don't have the same two characters confessing their most deepest secrets and have them hold hands in an intense drawn out manner; all the whole both of them starring into each other's eyes.  Unless of course you're saying these two will end up togther.

tumblr_ouooviL9tU1rj1yelo4_400.gif

THE_HAND_TOUCH-4767.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Springfield said:

The thinnest of threads.  It’s the Philadelphia Eagles of Star Wars.  It might be decent, but it isn’t ever winning any Super Bowls because of its obvious flaws.

Well the eagles won one now. I hope that means that episode 9 will significantly raise my opinion of TLJ........

Archived