Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over the range microwave question

bearrock

I need everyone to pretend like I'm stupid (shouldn't be too hard :806:) and talk to me real slow like.

My over the range microwave that came with the house went kaput.  The house is 1978, I'm guessing the microwave is 10+ years kenmore.  The problem is I don't see a cabinet above the microwave, just a wooden covering.  I also don't see any electric connection for the microwave, which I guess means that it's connected by an outlet behind that wooden panel (I guess it could also be a direct connection behind the panel?).

The wooden panel has an outline that's been cut along the edge (so it's like a cut panel of wood above the microwave in between the cabinets).  The problem is I don't see how this thing would open other than forcing it with a pry bar or something (which I'm afraid to do).  I tried pushing it to see if it is stationary and it didnt give at all. Home depot tells me that they only install with cabinet above the range.  I'm assuming that other big boxes would be the same.  What's my play in terms of a new microwave install?  Is this a job for a handyman?  Electrician?  Would I have better luck calling around local appliance stores?

39 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

you have a picture? 

Pics or it didn’t happen

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I probably should've uploaded the picture with the original post doh!

https://imgur.com/a/0UPZ6

Get a flat head screwdriver and pry that monther****er off.  Be careful but understand that you may need to repair/replace/refinish it when you’re done.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Pics or it didn’t happen

Get a flat head screwdriver and pry that monther****er off.  Be careful but understand that you may need to repair/replace/refinish it when you’re done.

Exactly what I was afraid that I was gonna have to do :806:.  I don't get why previous owner didn't just install a door to begin with:wtf:

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Exactly what I was afraid that I was gonna have to do :806:.  I don't get why previous owner didn't just install a door to begin with:wtf:

I would bet it’s nailed in and painted over.  People don’t always think about servicing their amenities once they are installed.  You can fix that though... put a cabinet or an access panel in there.

20 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Isn't that a skeleton key hole upper center of panel ?  Or is that a nail ?

Either way try prying the panel open.

Score the edges with a razor knife to loosen the panel of paint and 10 years of grease/ dirt build-up.

Not all microwaves (especially the older ones) installed with screws from the top so the first thing I would do is see if you have a non-top installation.  Some were installed from the sides.

(I found this:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/82446/un-installing-a-microwave-that-does-not-have-any-visible-top-cabinet-attachment)

I can't find any information on line, but I believe some were installed from the back and the top, but on top they weren't screwed in, but there were slides on them.  The microwave has like sliders on it and then there is something screwed into the bottom of the "cabinet" for it slide into and clicks when it is in place.  In which case, you have to lift and pull the microwave out.

(Pretty sure I helped somebody remove a microwave where this was the case.)

Before just ripping the panel out, I'd look at the cabinet on the sides for evidence of a side installation and try pulling/lifting the microwave to see if you can get it out.

Also look behind the vent for screws.  I'm not sure you really need to remove that panel.

44 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I would bet it’s nailed in and painted over.  People don’t always think about servicing their amenities once they are installed.  You can fix that though... put a cabinet or an access panel in there.

Living in an older home, you see all sorts of odd things. I think you have to assume it is nailed or screwed in.

I'm not a big fan of just using brute force to start with (I can still hear my dad yelling, Don't use brute force if you don't have to!).  If it appears you have to remove that panel to remove the microwave, I'd take it slow.

Have you taken something and gone around the cracks?  Does it seem like there is something behind it?  With a little force, can something thin and sharp be pushed through or are you hitting something else?  Is it the same all the way around?

The scoring edges and trying to penetrate with something thin and sharp is a good idea.  

I do have the instruction manual and the installation directions are the more modern hook to wall bracket and screw top to cabinet approach.  So unless the prev owner did something screwy, I'm thinking that wooden panel is hiding at least a horizontal plank of somekind.  I did check the under to see if it's held up by some kind of an L shaped bracket, but as far as I can tell, it's the microwave attached at the wall to a standard bracket.  

Now I have to decide whether to tackle this before or after thanksgiving.  Worst case scenario, I guess we'll have some interesting fodder for dinner conversation :)

Although, I just had a horrific thought.  What if the horizontal plank the microwave is attached to is being held up by the wooden panel I'm about to remove?  That would be totally moronic, but I'm still trying to guess why anyone would seal or nail shut that panel.  I'm thinking I better at least have something propping up that microwave before I try to remove that panel.

Btw, it is a nail in that panel.  I can remove it with my hand actually. Not nailed in too deep.

After looking at the picture several more times. I believe the panel is being held on by clips behind the panel attached to the cabinet. Carefully pry on the cabinet panel to separate from the edge.

The microwave is most likely attached thru the top of the cabinet and once you loosen the bolts holding it you will be able to lift the unit off the wall mount bracket between the microwave and wall. 

Archived