Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Tournament Bracket

SkinsGuy

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

My school is never going to be under investigation because our entire goal is a tourney berth and maybe a 1st round upset that people later write books about. It's actually quite freeing. More people should try it.

When any of you jags try to make the argument that "we are doing it the right way," I want to laugh and throw small pebble at you.

D-1 college basketball and football should not exist. Period.

They are awesome spectacles and a hell of a lot of fun. But they should not exist.

If you cared about student-athletes, you would all become D-3 schools.

get_off_my_lawn.png

Whenever I hear this grumpy old man rant I always wonder if they'd feel the same knowing that hundreds of millions in scholarships paid for (not just athletic) would disappear over night. Yes, that means scientific funding, scholarships, new facilities etc etc etc...not to mention the tens of thousands of students who wouldn't go to college without athletic scholarships funded by the major sports programs.

Why do you hate college kids so much?

there is so much drivel in the last couple pages of this thread, but I'm only going to argue one point, the passion. I take exception to that. 

as another poster said, you won't EVER turn a Tobacco Road arena Kentucky Blue. Ever. 

And I'll vehemently disagree that Kentucky fans are far and away the most passionate and knowledgeable. I'm not saying they aren't passionate and knowledgeable- they clearly are, and are well respected (or acknowledged?) for it. But without equal ? Clearly haven't been to the triangle for the ACC Tournament or the greatest rivalry in college basketball (and miss me with that Louisville Kentucky junk). 

I've been to 5 ACC tourneys, and they are the greatest vacations (I picked up extra shifts to save up for) of my lifetime, other than trips home with the fam.  I haven't been since '99 (the only year I got to see Duke win it over UNC:headbang:) but anyone who ever gets the chance...GO. 

21 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

ACC Tourney hasn't been in the triangle since the 60's. I get what you are saying though. 

That's not what I meant specifically- I meant, when the Tourney is going on, living in the triangle. Irrespective of where it's held (though Greensboro is the best IMO). I remember in elementary school, not actually holding class, and the teachers wheeling in the TV carts and just watching the tournament games. College sports rule the area.

5 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

That's not what I meant specifically- I meant, when the Tourney is going on, living in the triangle. Irrespective of where it's held (though Greensboro is the best IMO). I remember in elementary school, not actually holding class, and the teachers wheeling in the TV carts and just watching the tournament games. College sports rule the area.

See that just proves my point. You say that area is like that while the tourney is on. It's like that during non-Conference play in Kentucky. I've seen churches get out early for an early Sunday afternoon regular season game. I've seen city council meetings cut short because of a Tuesday night game. I've watched gramdmas school ACC dorks on basketball knowledge. Our news reports on the high school juniors that Cal is scouting! Our 6 o'clock news STARTS with Cals recruit signings, then the murders. You guys like to talk about "the Triangle" we go from the Mississippi River to West Virginia, from Cincinnatti to Jelico Mountain. The blue flies every where.

4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

See that just proves my point. You say that area is like that while the tourney is on. It's like that during non-Conference play in Kentucky. I've seen churches get out early for an early Sunday afternoon regular season game. I've seen city council meetings cut short because of a Tuesday night game. I've watched gramdmas school ACC dorks on basketball knowledge. Our news reports on the high school juniors that Cal is scouting! Our 6 o'clock news STARTS with Cals recruit signings, then the murders. You guys like to talk about "the Triangle" we go from the Mississippi River to West Virginia, from Cincinnatti to Jelico Mountain. The blue flies every where.

Dude, I'm not trying to get in a xxxx measuring contest with you over who's fanbase is better. It's completely subjective. I didn't discount that Kentucky fans are extremely passionate. What I was saying is that if you think it's unparalleled or that other people don't also care about their teams in a very comparable passionate manner, then you're either ignorant or insecure. I can't speak for Lexington. I would never try to compare what it's like in the Triangle versus what it's like in Kentucky, or West Virginia, or whatever you want to measure- because, I dont know, I've never lived there. It's extremely passionate here, that's all I know, and to say that others can't understand that's just insanity. 

ETA: Funny, it didn't censor out the "xxxx"s 

That was kind of unexpected lol

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Calipari's Globetrotters wouldn't come close to turning VCU blue.  Even if they had the guts to schedule a road game against a prominent mid-major...which they don't.

Why would we want to do that? You know how much revenue that would cost us in TV time? Oh sure the Kentucky fans would tune in...but no one else would. And why would we want to schedule a game against the second place team in the...what was it again?...Oh the Atlantic 10 Conference.

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Why would we want to do that? You know how much revenue that would cost us in TV time? Oh sure the Kentucky fans would tune in...but no one else would. And why would we want to schedule a game against the second place team in the...what was it again?...Oh the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Got your hands full with Canisius, Duquesne and Cleveland State?

Got your hands full with Canisius, Duquesne and Cleveland State?

Oh, so you're volunteering to be one of our pre-season tune up games. That's fine. I'm always up for a good early season beat down of the sacrificial lambs.

7 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Jellico on one side is still VOLS country. 

Still a lot of blue flying on that side, we call them missionaries.

Kentucky travels so well they scheduled ZERO out-of-conference true road games this year.  IMPRESSIVE

That's because your tiny home courts can't hold the attendance we bring. Rupp arena packs nearly 23,000 people for every home game and a significant portion of those travel with the team. Your 10,000 seat mini-stadiums can't handle us.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I've never been to Kentucky.  But I have lived in NC my entire life, starting out in the foothills/mountain area and then moved to Charlotte for college and stayed ever since.  All year round you see Duke or Carolina blue (shirts, hats, etc.) along with some NC State red (though not nearly as much as the other two).  Growing up, just like KY, there was no professional sports teams (no Panthers, no Hornets), college basketball was engraved into our souls and you were born to a side and if you had parents that weren't serious about sports (yes, it happens - not mine for the record) then you picked a side.  

All we had was college basketball.  And the fans are just as passionate as any other fan base. And it doesn't matter where you went to college, I went to UNCC and plenty of students still sported UNC or Duke gear.  And the Duke/UNC rivalry is the biggest in college basketball.  You dismiss the triangle or tobacco road, but there are three ACC colleges there, separated by only a max of 25 miles (NC State) with Duke and UNC being only 10 miles apart.  All three fan bases absolutely hate the other, with Duke and UNC hating each other the most.  It's about as tense as it gets.

And for NC State, the rivalry with them dates way way back, granted, they have sucked for the better part of 20-30 years.  I still get fired up every game because after Duke, they are my second most hated team.  I pull for them when they play Duke, that's it and I enjoy watching them get curb stomped and fire coaches more than Dan Snyder does because they can't beat UNC or Duke enough.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You've met a Hawks fan?!?

Well, I do travel up that way from time to time, and I did live in Atlanta for 2 years. 

Just as common in the RVA. Plenty of them, I see them here and there in Charlotte. Bullets fan...nope. 

@Dont Taze Me Bro , Same thing in Tennessee. Vols fans are REAL. I can't go to a restaurant there without seeing at least half the folks wearing Vols gear. 

21 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I've never been to Kentucky.  But I have lived in NC my entire life, starting out in the foothills/mountain area and then moved to Charlotte for college and stayed ever since.  All year round you see Duke or Carolina blue (shirts, hats, etc.) along with some NC State red (though not nearly as much as the other two).  Growing up, just like KY, there was no professional sports teams (no Panthers, no Hornets), college basketball was engraved into our souls and you were born to a side and if you had parents that weren't serious about sports (yes, it happens - not mine for the record) then you picked a side.  

All we had was college basketball.  And the fans are just as passionate as any other fan base. And it doesn't matter where you went to college, I went to UNCC and plenty of students still sported UNC or Duke gear.  And the Duke/UNC rivalry is the biggest in college basketball.  You dismiss the triangle or tobacco road, but there are three ACC colleges there, separated by only a max of 25 miles (NC State) with Duke and UNC being only 10 miles apart.  All three fan bases absolutely hate the other, with Duke and UNC hating each other the most.  It's about as tense as it gets.

And for NC State, the rivalry with them dates way way back, granted, they have sucked for the better part of 20-30 years.  I still get fired up every game because after Duke, they are my second most hated team.  I pull for them when they play Duke, that's it and I enjoy watching them get curb stomped and fire coaches more than Dan Snyder does because they can't beat UNC or Duke enough.

All this. 2/5 blue blood programs are separated by 8 miles. Nothing like it in sports. 

Archived