Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warpaint - 50 Years of Redskins vs. Cowboys

Dissident2

My favorite memories:

1) The feel and nostalgia of 1980s Redskins/Cowboys - there was just something special about that era

2) That crazy win at home in 1992 with Aikman's end zone fumble

3) The 2005 win at home against Dallas to keep the late-season run alive

4) Both wins in 2012

One other observation: 

75% of the hits in that video would draw a flag in today's game. 

I love when they rip Staubauch's helmet off while he's on the ground. There used to be SERIOUS animosity between the players on these teams. Now, it's usually just another game to these guys. Miss those days when the rivalry was at its most heated. One of the best Redskins/Cowboys games of all time was when they beat Dallas 9-5 in 1978, and Theismann ended the game by running out of the end zone to take a safety while holding the ball up to taunt them.

The 35-7 beatdown under Gibbs II was so sweet because he was humiliating Parcells as well.

That game wasn't anywhere close to the score, they could have rolled up 50 if Gibbs wasn't classy. 

He actually got a few good F U wins on Parcells in that last run.  The Sean Taylor blocked field goal game was I think their last head to head.

2) That crazy win at home in 1992 with Aikman's end zone fumble

LOL, this is one of the craziest endings I can remember.  What's funny is that the broadcasters never really explained what happened.

After Aikman tried to lateral the ball to Smith, a slew of guys fell on it.  When the refs tried to unsort the pile, there was no football at the bottom.  Somehow they figured out what happened, and gave the Redskins a touchdown, but the play-by-play team never explained it.

~10 years later (remember this was before YouTube), I saw the play on a 'Redskins History' VHS tape that my dad got at Safeway.  When I rewatched the play, it was clear what'd happened:  Danny Copeland scooped up the football and ran out of the endzone with the ball to celebrate (it was instantly a touchdown the second he recovered, so he could do that). A few guys were trying to fall on the ball and missed.  And then a few more fell on top of them thinking the ball was down there. So the refs immediately fixate on the pile and start tying to pull guys out.  Meanwhile, Copeland is at the 50 yard line celebrating his touchdown.

For (literally) years, I had no idea what'd happened on that play and just been happy that the Redskins got a go-ahead touchdown out of the deal.

... There used to be SERIOUS animosity between the players on these teams. Now, it's usually just another game to these guys. Miss those days when the rivalry was at its most heated.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was trying to think on why it's like this, and I think part of the issue is that free agency has players moving around so much that it's hard to develop animosity toward other teams. And we're even worse as an example of that since we rebuild so often, meaning players are coming and going.

But part of it is that you need to have two really good teams vying for the Super Bowl and only having room for one to make it. I'd say that's the kind of pressure-packed situation that makes teams hate one another.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was trying to think on why it's like this, and I think part of the issue is that free agency has players moving around so much that it's hard to develop animosity toward other teams. And we're even worse as an example of that since we rebuild so often, meaning players are coming and going.

Well that and also the fact that we ourselves had a team had too much movement/turnover to have consistency; moreso than other teams.  Same with the Cowboys too in the past few years.

You can't however tell me that our Miami trio of Portis, Moss, and Sean didn't develop that hatred.  I did like the fight our guys showed last night; seemed like the animosity was back in full swing.  Even without Hall there to turn things up, fights were about to start on every drive.  Maybe that's more to DeSean being easily agitated to begin with but still.  

They played this during Redskins Nation on Comcast Sportsnet. Sent chills up my spine. I don't know about the most favorite memories conjured from the video, but the most poignant moments for me were those clips that included Sean Taylor. R.I.P. 21! Never forgotten...

Archived