Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Is Sumlin popping out NFL starters at QB or busts? This Kenny Hill guy looked great against South Carolina.

I think Manziel's success or failure in the NFL won't have much bearing on Kenny Hill's potential.

But I do think they have some similarities. I question whether either has an NFL body. Hill looks like he has a better body than Manziel, but neither are prototype QBs. And both put up/are putting up ridiculous numbers as a product of playing in a pass heavy system with elite talent surrounding them.

But that doesn't mean they can't be successful in the NFL. Well... Manziel won't be, he's got zero chance in Cleveland. But Hill could have the right stuff and then it's only a matter of ending up on the right team. He's at least one to watch the next two years, because he already looks NFL bound.

I actually like Oakland's offensive line this year. I know, I know, it's Oakland. But if the FO can just get out of the way for once, they might have a bit of an offense to go with what looks like a solid defensive group.

I also REALLY like Tennessee's offensive line. Wishing I had drafted Bishop Sankey in my fantasy league.

And I really REALLY like Minnesota's offensive line. Glad I drafted Adrian Peterson.

I have this theory I want to keep in mind this season. It goes, since football is fundamentally a game of blocking and tackling, the best teams are the ones with the best blockers and the best tacklers... plus quarterback. So my hypothesis is then that if you can correctly determine whose offensive line and defensive front will perform the best, you can predict who almost all of the best teams are going to be. Plus the caveat that they need to have at least stable performance at QB. And then it stands to reason that, everything else being about equal, the best performing units are going to be the ones with the best individual talent.

So you can look at the talent level of the players in a teams OL and defensive front (and the quality of their QB) and get a good idea of how well they're going to play this season if most of their guys stay healthy.

Anyway, I think improving the caliber of talent on our OL and DL remains our surest and most direct path to improving the team. And you usually have to draft the big guys to get them. So that's what I'll be paying attention to the most this year. Trent is a keeper and Moses has the potential to be. Don't know about Spencer Long yet. But other than that, I'm still seeing nothing but a bunch of average starters and replacement level players at DT, DE, C, & G.

I say OLB......

yes I'm still not over it.

I was as shocked as anyone when the card read TMurph in Rd 2 and like everyone else, I was like 'who?'.... lol

Anyway, I think Bruce the Capologist has a plan when it comes to Rak and Kerrigan and it's actually to draft another OLB early next year.  Rak will be gone, imho and his replacement will be the OLB selected next year whereas TMurph will replace Kerrigan in 2016.  Remember, we're going to need a lot of cap space for Griff and TWilliams soon.  I believe he's thinking this will be the best way to achieve the dollars that will be needed.

We're set at the skill positions...Yay!

1. F/S (impact player)

2. O/T (quality starter)

3. S - to groom as a replacement for either Merriweather or Clark

4. LB/OLB (potential starter)

5. D/T (could become a starter after grooming)

6. QB (to groom as a backup)

7. Best athlete available

HTTR!

I don't think they can wait till next year to start grooming someone who can replace those two.  They neither need to be grooming someone now or they need to draft an immediate starter or sign a FA to replace them next year.  

During the Notre Dame v. Rice game, check out the Rice DT, 3-Tech, Christian Covington. He wears #1. 

He's a very active player, has the knack for getting off blocks. He's racked up solid numbers for TFL and sacks the last two years, been recognized in conference as a 1st Team player, as well as possible All-American.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133281/christian-covington

CBS Sports' Dane Bugler notes:

Rice senior DT Christian Covington "compared very favorably to Timmy Jernigan" on tape.

"The British Columbia native lined up mostly as a one-technique defensive tackle for the Owls last season and on tape he compared very favorably to Timmy Jernigan, who was a second round pick this past May, Brugler wrote.

The 6-foot-3, 295 pound Covington led the Owls in tackles for loss (11.5) in 2013 and earned First Team All-CUSA honors in his sophomore campaign.

If Covington can refine his game as a junior, Brugler "wouldn't be a surprise if Covington earns top-40 grades from NFL scouts." 

Jul 16 - 4:50 PM
Source: CBB Sports

Christian Covington - Rice - Bio Profile

Watched the UCLA/Virginia game, both O-lines were terrible-no help there ;). I guess it's early in the season and they might get organised and improve. Hundley was pretty bad too, got the jitters with his pocket collapsing around him. D-Line had the most imprssive looking guys for both sides, though to what degree that was down to the ineptitude of the linemen who were supposed to be blocking them is questionable.

I'm hoping we improve both lines in FA/Draft next year (though of course that may change when this year's team actually plays some meaningful games :P)

Agree that White had a pretty impressive game, thought the W.Virginia guards Glowinski & Spain were pretty good as a pair too, kept a pretty good pocket against the 'Bama front and got some lanes created inside. (I'd have had the center in their too until he fired a snap 20 yards backwards!).

I'm actually liking Tre Jackson more than Matias. 

A little more squat in stature compared to his stablemate, but I'm liking how he sets and arches his back, reestablishes his feet in pass-pro - similar technique to Rodney Hudson. 

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=209573002

Honestly not a big fan of the FSU OL. They all seem to be a mess in different ways. 

Honestly not a big fan of the FSU OL. They all seem to be a mess in different ways. 

I can see why you'd say that. I'm simply not allowing over-hype to influence me. If I say these guys are mid-rounders then I can see individual positives. And I guess I'm simply just talking about Jackson without any incorporation of the other guys. 

The hype makers may have everyone selling, or simply, people see these certain names at, or near, the top of the list and they balk at it. I'm staying medium. 

But there's still something to the size and leverage of the guards, like Jackson, which are, at the very least, utilitarian and in some way, pleasing. In some ways, I'm so disappointed with our interior o-line, so beaten down with frustration over the last few years, that with exasperation, I'll take anybody with a big body (not literally). 

Jackson did get leverage tonight in both run and pass blocking. He drove people back at times, created some space. He's got a wide body and did his role which was to shield his backfield, block people. He did show the ability to absorb a rusher.

So simply, just from the standpoint that I just want an offensive guard who can stand his ground, not have his ass smooched into the dirt, I'll take a guy with some limitation to movement skills if I can get some size and anchor. 

So, Jackson: mid-rounds, some positives, not blown-away impressed, but not disappointed.   

Quick shout out to Steve and his boy Kelechi Osemele. Osemele did some nasty stuff to us during the preseason game. And he looks so beast on the interior. Steve was right about him. 

Osemele gave a handshiver to Murphy's chin that stunned him so demonstratively, it was like a left hook from Sonny Liston. Incidentally, Murphy was knocked to the ground multiple times that game by Osemele and Cofield even got his ass plowed back by KO. He's got the size, punch and movement skills, speed.

That's the template for me. 

Give me a college tackle at 6'6, 330+ lbs, solid, and (Steve's word): a "svelte" big body, then move him to guard.

Just blast people back. 

After last season's failures, I thought the priority in the offseason was:

Defense

1) get more pressure in the interior.

2) get better safeties

Offense

1) get better receivers

2) improve pass pro.

Unfortunately, I don't think we improved the OL all that much and our safety situation is still a question mark with the oft suspended Merriweather and oft injured Phil Thomas.  Will Long fill in for Chester this year?   Will the expensive Lichtensteiger perform well at center? Will Moses replace Polumbus and do well?  

So personally this collegiate season I'll be looking at Centers, Tackles and Safeties.  So I guess my draft would be:

Pick 1) A starting Safety

Pick 2) A starting Center

Pick 3) Better depth at Tackle if/when Moses takes over (Compton just doesn't seem like he's it)

4-7) Don't really care about the order but It'd be nice to start looking for at least an ILB to groom and a LT to groom

Archived