Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FINAL 2014 REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS

88Comrade2000

After this original new post, new posts for 2014 start with post #32. This weeks posts starts with post #49.

Well, the final regular season day is here.  Still, somethings needed to be decided today.

You can go to this thread, for my Black Friday thread and discussion on the potential coaching changes.   http://es.redskins.com/topic/375542-from-black-monday-122914-to-youre-hired-teams-with-openings/

2014 Playoff Schedule

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/12/28/nfl-playoff-schedule-results-super-bowl/

FINAL Standings, per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

1. Seattle: 12-4  -  NFC West Champs & has homefield.

2. Green Bay: 12-4  - NFC North Champs

3. Dallas: 12-4 - NFC East Champs.

4. Carolina: 7-8-1 - NFC South Champs

5. Arizona: 11-5  - 5th seed.

6. Detroit: 11-5 - 6th seed.

7. Philadelphia: 10-6

8. San Fran:8-8

9. New Orelans: 7-9

10. Minnesota: 7-9

11. New York Giants: 6-10

12. Atlanta: 6-10

13. St. Louis: 6-10

14. Chicago: 5-11

15. Washington: 4-12

16. Tampa Bay: 2-14

================================================================================

1. New England: 12-4  - AFC EAST champs & homefield.

2. Denver: 12-4  - AFC WEST champs.

3. Pittsburgh: 11-5  - AFC North Champs.

4. Indianapolis: 11-5 - AFC SOUTH champs.

5. Cincinnati: 10-5-1 - 5th seed.

6. Baltimore: 10-6 -   6th seed.

7. Houston: 9-7

8. Kansas City: 9-7

9. San Diego: 9-7

10. Buffalo: 9-7

11. Miami: 8-8

12. Cleveland: 7-9

13.  New York Jets: 4-12

14. Jacksonsville: 3-13

15. Oakland: 3-13

16. Tennessee: 2-14

If we cant catch Dallas for the division, it looks like we only need to worry about Detroit and Carolina. 9-7 should put us in the mix with those two teams at the end.

Panthers still have to play Saints x 2, 49ers, Falcons x2 and the Patriots. 

Detroit has a ridiculously easy schedule so it might be hard to catch them without awful lapses or CJ going down again. Dal, Chi, Pitt, TB, GB, Phi, Bal, NYG and Min. Hard to find a lot of losses in there for Detroit. 

Root for Detroit over Dallas this week but if Dallas wins, gotta pull hard for everyone playing Detroit as that may be our only chance. 

My postseason predictions:

AFC:

1. Chiefs

2. Colts

3. Patriots

4. Bengals

5. Broncos

6. Chargers

Wildcard:

3. Patriots over 6. Chargers

5. Broncos over 4. Bengals

Division:

5. Broncos over 1. Chiefs

2. Colts over 3. Patriots

Conference:

5. Broncos over 2. Colts

Notes: Chiefs will be able to handle the Broncos in a slugfest in which Peyton is unable to get in rhythm in either of their games late in the season. Colts' easily handle business in a horribly weak AFC East. The Pats defense carries Tom Brady to another postseason appearance. Bengals win the AFC North by default. Broncos will falter later on in the year after being unable to overcome the stout defense of the Chiefs. Surprise appearance by the Chargers in the playoffs after a phenomenal year by Phillip Rivers.

NFC:

1. Saints

2. Seahawks

3. Packers

4. Redskins

5. 49'ers

6. Detroit

Wildcard:

3. Packers over 6. Detroit

4. Redskins over 5. 49'ers

Division:

4. Redskins over 1. Saints

2. Seahawks over 3. Packers

Conference:

4. Redskins over 2. Seahawks

Notes: Brees + Payton is a beauty...add a relatively good defense under Rob Ryan and the Saints get the #1 seed by playing in a very weak NFC South. Seahawks are pretty good and will live up to expectations and sweep the Niners and win the NFC West which isn't as strong as everyone expected. The Green Bay Aarron Rodgers will handle a relatively weak NFC North but will get challenged for the division by the Detroit Calvin Johnson's. Skins continue to look better as the year progresses while the inherent weaknesses of the Cowboys will begin to take a toll on Dallas late in the year. Look for another rough November/December for the Boys as they close out another year. Niners are weaker than expected this year but still strong enough to get the wildcard...Kaep struggles continue to hamper the overall performance of the team although he will have moments where his talent shines through. The Deteoit Calvin Johnson's will get the last wildcard spot riding the backs of CJ and Reggie Bush into the post season.

Super Bowl:

Skins vs Broncos

Edit: my mind tells me to pick the Seahawks over the Skins...but I refuse to make that decision. Not again. Not another playoff loss to those ****s in Seatle

Gymratfwp.   Are saying the Chiefs will be better but then pick the Broncos to go further?    Right now, Dallas has 2 game lead on us and after Sunday it could become a 3 game lead.    Given how ****ty the NFC EAST is; the Skins could rebound and win the division.  This team, should it get that far will be one and done again.   Our defense can't handle playoff football.

The next month will seperate the pretenders and contenders and it will not shock me to see the first firings by then.

Gymratfwp. Are saying the Chiefs will be better but then pick the Broncos to go further? Right now, Dallas has 2 game lead on us and after Sunday it could become a 3 game lead. Given how ****ty the NFC EAST is; the Skins could rebound and win the division. This team, should it get that far will be one and done again. Our defense can't handle playoff football.

The next month will seperate the pretenders and contenders and it will not shock me to see the first firings by then.

I think that the Chiefs sweep the Broncos in the regular season but loose in the post season to Denver.

Regards the Skins...we had the same issues on defense last year and win the East. The success/failure of this team rides on the effectiveness and explosiveness of the offense and in particular how RG performs. On the offensive side of the ball things are trending upward. I think that that trend continues. Regards Dallas...the fact that they have a 2 game lead right now is irrelevant...they have MAJOR issues on the DLine/Secondary/RB...and as the injuries continue to mount I expect Dallas to falter as the season progresses.

Regards defense in the playoffs...again...as I mentioned above, the success of this team rests on the effectiveness of the offense. I think that this team turns it around as a whole and the continued success of this offense and RG in particular is the reason why.

Well, we will see.   I can see this team rebounding to 7-9 or 8-8 but if they somehow make the playoffs, they aren't going anywhere.  The offense can only take you so far.

It's too early to post the remaining schedules because they are still too many teams that are in it.  Once, we are down to about 6 games left;  I'll probably do that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Week 8 is in the books.

NFC Top 6

1.  Seatle: 7-1

2.  New Orleans: 6-1

3.  Green Bay: 5-2

4.  Dallas: 4-4

5.  San Fran: 6-2

6.  Detroit: 5-3

Seattle, New Orelans, Green Bay and San Fran are locks for the playoffs.  Dallas is still the favorite but anyone can win it.  Detroit could pull away with the wild card.

Carolina (4-3), Chicago (4-3), Arizona (4-4) seem like teams that will finish at .500 but that might not be enoug for that 6th spot.  Chicago playoff hopes could go up in smoke with Cutler out for month.  

No clue if Philly(3-5), Washington(2-5) or NY(2-6) can really steal the East from Dallas.  The NFC EAST winner seems like a good possiblity to win the EAST with a 7-9 record.

On the way to the Firing Line  

Tampa, Minnesota are locks for coaching changes.  New York, Washington and Atlanta could also see coaching changes.

===================================================================================================

afc top 6

1. Kansas City: 8-0

2. Cincy: 6-2

3. Pats:6-2

4. Colts: 5-2

5. Broncos: 7-1

6. ChargersL 4-3

The first 5 are locks and really the only race will be for that final wild card.

Teams that could challenge the Chargers for that final spot:  Jets(4-4), Titans(3-4),Ravens(3-4), Dolphins(3-4), Raiders (3-4).

On the way to the firing Line

I don't see Jacksonville making a chance even with an 0-16 record.  Gus Bradley will get a chance to build a team.  I don't see the Steelers firing Mike Tomlin.      I do think Gary Kubiak is done at Houston.   Oakland, Miami and Tennesee could make changes.  Jets still could still fire Rex if they don't make the playoffs.

So, really not much has changed after Week 8. :lol:

The Chiefs IMO are a pretty big fraud. Their defense is legit but it looks even better playing a run of backup QBs for already pretty sorry teams. Even then, they are barely making it by to win these games. 

They will be exposed once they play 1) Real QBs 2) Good defenses

I don't see them winning a playoff game. Great season for sure, they can only play the teams on their schedule but they aren't a SB threat. 

The Chiefs IMO are a pretty big fraud. Their defense is legit but it looks even better playing a run of backup QBs for already pretty sorry teams. Even then, they are barely making it by to win these games. 

They will be exposed once they play 1) Real QBs 2) Good defenses

I don't see them winning a playoff game. Great season for sure, they can only play the teams on their schedule but they aren't a SB threat. 

Basically sums up my thoughts as well. The modern day NFL is built on the concept of getting hot at the right time. In the playoffs, defenses step up, and offense is harder to come by, especially for teams who are limited to begin with. I think Alex Smith is a quality feel good story, but they have to get more out of that offense if they are to be anything more than a one and done team, or even a team that starts to struggle in late November/December. Winning  SB's (unless you have a truly dynamic and otherwordly aspect of your football team) is generally about all 3 phases playing excellent football when the time is right.

Reminds me of the Titans run in 2008. Everybody pretty much ignored them all year, and they showed why once the Ravens bounced them out in their first playoff game.

Going to be interesting to see how Indy fares now that Reggie Wayne is done for the season.

You can say the Chiefs are frauds but they did beat everyone in the NFC East who they have played so far......yes, the division sucks this year, but all those teams had their starting QBs in and KC still won. If KC doesn't win the division, they may very well have to travel in the first round to play a team with an inferior record, much like the wild card team that comes out of the NFC West is going to have to do.

Going to be interesting to see how Indy fares now that Reggie Wayne is done for the season.

You can say the Chiefs are frauds but they did beat everyone in the NFC East who they have played so far......yes, the division sucks this year, but all those teams had their starting QBs in and KC still won. If KC doesn't win the division, they may very well have to travel in the first round to play a team with an inferior record, much like the wild card team that comes out of the NFC West is going to have to do.

San Fran will easily beat the NFC EAST winner.   KC or Denver would be facing  NE or Indy or Cincy. 

San Fran will easily beat the NFC EAST winner.   KC or Denver would be facing  NE or Indy or Cincy. 

You say that, but three times between 2008-2011 a wild-card team had to travel to an opponent that had won four less games than them in the regular season and guess what, the home team won all three times.

Its ridiculous that this happens and the league needs to do something like going back to three divisions.  I know people say that its fine, we have it neatly packaged into eight 4-team divisions, etc.  But they somehow made it work in the past when the league had 26, 28, 30 teams.

You say that, but three times between 2008-2011 a wild-card team had to travel to an opponent that had won four less games than them in the regular season and guess what, the home team won all three times.

Its ridiculous that this happens and the league needs to do something like going back to three divisions.  I know people say that its fine, we have it neatly packaged into eight 4-team divisions, etc.  But they somehow made it work in the past when the league had 26, 28, 30 teams.

Exactly. Just get to the dance and anything can happen.

Who is the NFC EAST team going to beat?  The NFC team, most likely Dallas, will be limping to the playoffs.  san Francisco is a better team.  Even Seattle, if they end up being the wild card would win; even with them not being that great of a road team.

The NFC eAST team is so bad this year; the trend of recent years won't hold true this year and if I am wrong, I will eat my crow in January.

Going back to 3 divisions will make it harder for some team to ever get in.  

The nFL is going to expand to 14 teams in the playoffs probably by 2015.  So, you

will be gauranteed one ****ty team each year in the playoffs.

Week 9 is in the books.  Midseason is here.  Everyone has played 8 games at least; some have played 9.   I'll wait a couple of more weeks before putting the the remaining schedule up for the playoff contenders.

1.  Seattle:  8-1-  Still the team to beat in the NFC.  A playoff lock.

2.  New Orleans: 6-2- Probably a lock for the second seed.

3.  Detroit: 5-3-  They are leading the NFC North this week in a 3 way tie.  With injuries to Cutler and Rodgers; the Lions can sieze this division?  Will they or will they flop?

4. Boys: 5-4-  Still the favs for the East but Philly and Washington could go on a run.

5. 49ers: 6-2-  Should get top Wild card or could they steal the NFc WEST from Seattle?

6. Carolina: 5-3-   With their upcoming schedule; we'll know if they are for real or not?

(7)Chicago: 5-3 and (8)Green Bay: 5-3 are the other playoff contenders.  McCown has done well so far and will keep the Bears in the race for the NFc North and wild card.  If Rodgers is gone for an extended period of time; the Packers could slip out of contention.

(9) Arizona: 4-4-  I see them .500 at best.

(10) Eagles: 4-5 and (11)Washington:3-5 could go on a run and steal the division from Dallas.

Looks like it will be a wild ride to the playoffs this year in the NFC.  .

St. Louis will have another losing season. Atlanta and Giants will also have losing seasons and it wouldn't shock me to see coaching changes there.

Right now, Vikings and Bucs are locks for coaching changes.

===============================================================================

1. Kansas City: 9-0- With them about to play Denver twice and San Diego; we will know how real they are.  Still, this should do no worse than the Top Wild Card if they dont win the WEST.

2. Pats: 7-2- They just find ways to win.  As long as Brady is the QB you can't never count them out.

3. Colts: 6-2-  I think they will be fine and make the playoffs as NFc South Champs.

4. Bengals: 6-3-  Will still win the division but will they win the playoffs?

5. Broncos:7-1-  Their battles with KC will settle who wins the AFC WEST and who gets Top Wild Card.  Will John Fox recovering, can they win without him?  Yes they can.

6. Jets: 5-4-  If they want to sneak into the playoffs; they have stop alternating winnning and losing each week and go on a win streak. 

Tennessee, San Diego and Miami are 4-4 and Cleveland is 4-5.  They teams will battle the Jets for that wild card.   I think the Martin mess in Miami will send them on a tailspin; especially if some coaches get implicated and fired.

The AFC is more settled but there will be a wild race for that second wild card.

Oakland, Baltimore, Buffalo, Houston, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville will have losing seasons.

Oakland and Jacksonville are locks for coaching changes.  Will Gary Kubiak's stroke prevent him from being fired?  You could see the stroke lead him to resign for health reasons.  What was a certain firing, I'm not sure now.   I thought Pittsburgh wouldn't make a change but this season being so bad could see the Steelers decide to move on.     

Baltimore and  Buffalo will have no changes. 

What sucks about whomever wins the East, they will face San Fran or Seattle.

Yup. We're all going to lose that one.

That's why I'm not all that gung ho about a playoff run this year.  If it happens that would be nice, since it would be the first time since the 1990-1992 run where we made consecutive playoff appearances.  I just expect whoever wins the East is going to get quickly dispatched. 

• 2 weeks later...

Week 10 is long over, LOL and Week 11 has already started.

Playoff standings:

Last week the NFC current playoff teams were solidifying their spots save for Dallas. Arizona is probably just a spoiler.  Green Bay and Chicago will be batteling Detroit and Philly will be batteling Dallas.

Anybody else is probably done though you never know with the NFc EAST.  If the Giants and Skins still want to have a slim chance; they MUST win this weekend.

If the AFC things are the same but Cincy could fall out of the picture and could Cleveland come into the picture?   Thing is will shake out more this weekend.

This weekend beging the seperation from those that are heading for a Top draft pick and those making a playoff run.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't do this last week for Week 11.  Week 12 is in the books and Week 13 starts tomorrow.  Everyone has had their byes, so it's a 5 week push for the playoffs or 5 weeks until the misery of this 2013 season ends.

NFC

Looks like Monday's Seahawks- Saints game should settle homefield in the NFC or does it?  New Orleans and Carolina still play 2 games.   ESPN has to be smiling they actually got a meaningful game for a change. 

Detroit has to hold off Chicago and Green Bay to still win the division. If they miss the playoffs; Jim Schwartz could get the ax. Looks like a 3 way battle for the NFC

Looks like Dallas and Philly will battle it out for the NFC EAST and it probably will come down to that final game. Jerry says Jason is safe but if the Boys miss the playoffs again, I think Jerry tries to find a new puppet.

As I mentioned earlier; Carolina plays New Orleans twice and that will settle the South.  Could Carolina slip into the second spot?

Finally, Arizona will be there trying to steal a San Francisco's spot. 

St. Louis will probably finish anywhere between 6-10 and 8-8 but they got our high pick , in addition to their own to help them out.

New York- I think they get Coughlin to retire.

Tampa and Minny are definitely looking for new coaches.

Mike Smith- does he get a pass for one bad year?  If he does, he will be expected to produce in 2014.

I hope Shanny jobs the ranks of unemployed, stay tuned.

AFC

Denver has a slight lead in homefield race.  Sweep KC on Sunday will help.

New England should at least have a round 1 playoff bye.  It will not shock me to see them in the superbowl again.

Indy still has a 2 game lead but could things slip away to the Titans?

Cincy, they should win the division.

KC can show alot by beating Denver on Sunday; especially after losing 2 weeks ago.

The AFC has 6 teams at 5-6; battling for that final playoff spot.  Should be a wild finish there.

I think if the Titans and Jets miss the playoffs; there will be coaching changes there.  Miami, there will be someone getting fired but I'm not sure about the coach now; unless he's implicated.  Oakland, Jacksonville and probably Houston are locks for coaching changes.

NFC

Looks like Dallas and Philly will battle it out for the NFC EAST and it probably will come down to that final game. Jerry says Jason is safe but if the Boys miss the playoffs again, I think Jerry tries to find a new puppet.

I think that if we finish 8-8, Jerry will fire Garrett.  If we make it to 9-7, playoffs or not, Garrett stays.

I wish they had a fan vote (Cowboys fans only) for team GM.  Jerry would be gone, for sure.

NFC playoff contenders have some fantastic defenses:  Seattle, SF, Arizona, Carolina.  Best overall team in NFC, IMO is New Orleans, although playing in Seattle obviously isn't easy.   

Teams potentially seeking new coaches (IMO):  NY Jets, Minnesota, Dallas, Washington, Houston.  I think Jax & TB coaches will be safe as they seem to be improving.

Archived