Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virginia Military Institute thread

skinfan133

Many people, both in the stadium and tailgate, have asked me questions about the school I go to, VMI. Often, what ensues is an off topic hijack of the thread in question, which usually has nothing to do with my school. So, here it is, the VMI thread.

post anything you want, ask any question, make comments.

and if you're an alumnus, make sure to post your graduation year

Rah Virginia Mil!

Vmi.jpg

VMI at Obama's Inauguration

New Market Day, honoring the 10 cadets who died at the Battle of New Market. Big deal for VMI, the whole school fought in that battle, the only military school in the nation to do so. We can fix bayonets during parade because of our service as a military unit in battle. Our winter wool overcoats also have red on the inside to represent blood lost in pitched battle.

Marching down to the mess hall to eat supper

The Men in Grey, VMI's men's choir, sings the Star Spangled Banner

I dated a guy that went there :) I think he graduated in '03. He ran track.

That's all the comments I have. :P

oh and I went to VMI twice when I was in high school for track meets...the VMI Invitational....we stayed at the cute hotel down the street. Forget what it was called.

I dated a guy that went there :) I think he graduated in '03. He ran track.

That's all the comments I have. :P

oh and I went to VMI twice when I was in high school for track meets...the VMI Invitational....we stayed at the cute hotel down the street. Forget what it was called.

lots of hotels in Lexington. Might have been the fancy Best Western on route 60.

'03 falls in my dyke-line (VMI term, don't be offended anyone ;)), I think they're technically my great-grand-dyke class.

that last bit probably makes 0 sense lol

They recruited me to play football for them, but i have to admit i farked up in HS, then that went down the crapper of course , along with 3 other schools down that way, oddly enough one was the same name as my high school, Washington & Lee :hysterical:

Where did you goto HS at anyway?

lots of hotels in Lexington. Might have been the fancy Best Western on route 60.

'03 falls in my dyke-line (VMI term, don't be offended anyone ;)), I think they're technically my great-grand-dyke class.

that last bit probably makes 0 sense lol

yup, that was it! I looked it up and the interior looks just how I remember it. Isn't it up on a hill, too? Like with a long driveway or something?

We also went to the nearby buffet restaurant the night before our meet to carbo-load....was it Golden Corral?

yup, that was it! I looked it up and the interior looks just how I remember it. Isn't it up on a hill, too? Like with a long driveway or something?

We also went to the nearby buffet restaurant the night before our meet to carbo-load....was it Golden Corral?

yup, that's the hotel. my parents have stayed there before.

I wish we had a golden corral in Lexington! It might have been the 'country cookin' by the interstate

They recruited me to play football for them, but i have to admit i farked up in HS, then that went down the crapper of course , along with 3 other schools down that way, oddly enough one was the same name as my high school, Washington & Lee :hysterical:

Do you mean the Washington and Lee Highschool near the birthplace of George Washington and Robert E Lee?

I played bball against them :silly:

Do you mean the Washington and Lee Highschool near the birthplace of George Washington and Robert E Lee?

I played bball against them :silly:

Yep, we sucked back then and we suck now, but i did see we made the playoffs this past season LOL w00t well in football, we were awesome in basketball back then, was in south lakes division when grant hill went there, went to state once, and made it to the regionals twice in 3 of my 4 years there...good times.

W&L University is literally right next to VMI.

I went to Stone Bridge High School in ashburn VA

Yep, we sucked back then and we suck now, but i did see we made the playoffs this past season LOL w00t well in football, we were awesome in basketball back then, was in south lakes division when grant hill went there, went to state once, and made it to the regionals twice in 3 of my 4 years there...good times.

We kicked their ass 124-68 :hysterical:

That was one long ass drive from SoMd.

W&L University is literally right next to VMI.

I went to Stone Bridge High School in ashburn VA

Yea i know, ahhhh gotcha

We kicked their ass 124-68 :hysterical:

That was one long ass drive from SoMd.

Arlington isnt that far from here , heh it must of been rush hour or something :D

Do you guys end up going to the Marines or all the different branches? Just curious

Anyway, I've admired people who give up the decadence of mainstream college to do what they believe in. How rigorous was everyday life compared to other colleges?

How similar or different is student life at VMI than at the Academies (West Point, Annapolis, etc)? What percentage of grads go onto a military career?
Our life is actually a little bit harder (everyone probably says that trying to make their school appear the best, but in this case on being on the level). VMI has been able to hang on to its traditions a little better than the academies. There are a lot of ways that the two differ. we have all branches of the military here for example.

the biggest difference though is the ratline. our incoming freshman are known as rats. their peers are their brother rats. the ratline is a period of intense physical and military training and psychological stress. That's the biggest difference.

Do you guys end up going to the Marines or all the different branches? Just curious

Anyway, I've admired people who give up the decadence of mainstream college to do what they believe in. How rigorous was everyday life compared to other colleges?

A bunch of guys comission Marine Corps. of those who comission I'd say 30% do Marines. We comission all branches of the military though. I'd say it breaks down Army with the most, then Marines, Air Force, then Navy.
Have you been completely brainwashed yet:silly:
Your question prompted this response: no

:D

Archived