Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Caldwell That Ends Well..

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Look at Detroit trying to draft a wide receiver over the years and we let Rams and Panthers out bid us???

Are we expecting a Big Trade soon?

Do we need a GM?

Here's our current Depth, all unproven!

Maurice Mann 6'1" 190 bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Mann

Burl Toler 6'2" bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl_Toler,_III

Billy McMullen 6'4" 215 bio http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4553

Anthony Mix 6'5" 235 Video

bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Mix

taken from profootballtalk.com....

RAMS ADD CALDWELL

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the St. Louis Rams have reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Caldwell spent the 2007 season in Washington, and the Redskins were reportedly awaiting a decision from Caldwell, whom they offered a contract, as recently as yesterday. No details of the deal have been reported, but Caldwell apparently liked the offer he got from the Rams better than the offer he got from the Redskins.

Caldwell didn’t do much in Washington last season, playing in eight games and catching 15 passes for 141 yards. His best season came in 2006 with the New England Patriots, when he caught 61 passes for 760 yards. Prior to 2006 Caldwell spent four seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

In St. Louis Caldwell is likely to compete for the third receiver position behind starters Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

With the 21st selection the Washington Redskins select Malcom Kelley or Devin Thomas. This is getting to be pretty easy to figure out. :cheers:

I really was hoping that we would keep Caldwell, but now that he's gone I would be very, VERY surprised if we didn't go after a WR in the 1st round.

Awesome! Now cut Thrash, trade down whenever you can, and draft 2-3 WRs, and see who develops/pans out.

:doh: :stupid:

Caldwell had suspect knees and I think that was one of the reasons the Patriots gave him the boot in 2007 and kept Jabar Gaffney who had not been as productive in 2006 in the NFL.

Caldwell's deal with the Rams is hardly one that is going to fill his pockets vis a vis the offer he had from the Redskins :laugh:

$600K for one year?

one could make the argument he was losing money by merely having to move to St. Louis as part of the deal :laugh:

but to his credit I think he read the handwriting on the wall - the Redskins were looking to get younger and more athletic at the receiver position and Caldwell at 28 is more of a possession receiver.

Caldwell had suspect knees and I think that was one of the reasons the Patriots gave him the boot in 2007 and kept Jabar Gaffney who had not been as productive in 2006 in the NFL.

Caldwell's deal with the Rams is hardly one that is going to fill his pockets vis a vis the offer he had from the Redskins :laugh:

$600K for one year?

one could make the argument he was losing money by merely having to move to St. Louis as part of the deal :laugh:

but to his credit I think he read the handwriting on the wall - the Redskins were looking to get younger and more athletic at the receiver position and Caldwell at 28 is more of a possession receiver.

Is he really only 28? I thought he was older than that. 28 isn't that old, besides Mr. Chad Johnson, who everbody seems to be drooling over is around that age area too. :whoknows:

With the 21st selection the Washington Redskins select Malcom Kelley or Devin Thomas. This is getting to be pretty easy to figure out. :cheers:

Malcolm Kelly's knee issues have apparently raised significant concerns with many teams. Thomas I'd go for in the 2nd, but not the 1st. I just don't really like picking up one year wonders so high. Way too much of a boom or bust.

Is he really only 28? I thought he was older than that. 28 isn't that old, besides Mr. Chad Johnson, who everbody seems to be drooling over is around that age area too. :whoknows:

Caldwell might only be 28, but there are rumors of knee problems that will hinder him.

Feb. 12, 2008 - 12:00 a.m. ET

Free agent Reche Caldwell has reportedly been dealing with chronic knee problems.

Caldwell was never on the injury report last year, so this is news to us. The emerging journeyman could fall out of the league if the issues are serious.

Source: Washington Post

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=Nfl&id=624

Plus, Caldwell's only had one season with more than 28 catches (or 352 yds) in his 6-year career. And that one season was with Tom Brady.

i wish he would have replaced el as the #2 receiver this upcoming year. i think he was very reliable this year and i think the skins were too cheap with the offer they gave him. he is a better #2 than El and a #2 deserves more than the minimum. this is only my opinion.

Wow, we're really thin at WR now. Moss, ARE, Thrash and Mix? errrrr. Gotta pick up a free or Draft a top guy now. I thought Caldwell was solid down the stretch and rounded out the roster of WR's well..and possibly a bigger roll in the new offense. Hmmm...guess we'll see what unfolds.

the bad news is there was little receiver depth here in 2007.

the good news is there was little receiver depth TO LOSE in 2008 :)

the Redskins need to rebuild depth at WR and the OL on offense because the players we had there were just not up to par.

we signed a number of these players like Pucillo and Caldwell off waivers from other clubs and while they were decent stop gaps they are not players you are going to build with long-term.

the bad news is there was little receiver depth here in 2007.

the good news is there was little receiver depth TO LOSE in 2008 :)

the Redskins need to rebuild depth at WR and the OL on offense because the players we had there were just not up to par.

we signed a number of these players like Pucillo and Caldwell off waivers from other clubs and while they were decent stop gaps they are not players you are going to build with long-term.

I dont agree with this at all. You don't sign depth guys thinking about long term solutions. You sign guys for depth that can come in and contribute if your starters(the people you sign/draft thinking about the long term) go down. Few developmental players should be kept but they are more projects than they are depth.

Caldwell and Pucillo(before his injury) were actually pretty good depth signings and they both contributed at some point in the past two seasons.

Dear Santana Clause,

I've been good this offseason. I've bought a more economical car, for the environment of course. I've even followed politics this time around! But please, for the love of The Washington Redskins, PLEASE send a bad*** Wide Reciever to our beloved burgandy and gold. In exchange, there will be a nice cold brew with your cookies this year. Hey, the reindeer do the flying anyways.

HAIL!

Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.

Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.

Keep in mind that they only have one established starter on that team, Torry Holt. They signed Drew Bennett last year, but he really showed nothing last year to warrant being handed the #2 spot. Caldwell could compete with him for the #2 job, versus here he really can't.

I really was hoping that we would keep Caldwell, but now that he's gone I would be very, VERY surprised if we didn't go after a WR in the 1st round.

:doh: :stupid:

One the first three rounds does seem more likely now. Unless there is something in the works for a FA or trade. I don't even know of any FA's left. We never wanted Hackett or Caldwell, obviously. Offering the league minimum for these guys was just some help for them finding a decent contract. I can't believe we would insult them, and the offers were not disclosed until after other teams made their bids. We knew we weren't going to get either of them for bare bottom league minimum. It would be foolish for the team to even hire a vet WR that they only felt was worth league minimum, so there is a hidden plan.

We draft, trade, or promote from within. Interesting. I thought Caldwell would be a Skin at least through camp. We definately need something to happen at that position. I wonder what is in the works? Waiting on camp cuts is not a plan. Something is up.

The Redskins have enough WRs. We have Moss, Randle El, Mix, and James Thrash and are scheming to add another in the draft. Reche Caldwell was a good pick up for us and he had some good receptions. I wish him well in St. Louis.

Yes I Think the skins will draft a WR. What round will be the question. Which means it might be smart and trade down and hopefully pick up a third and a comp pick in the 3rd for Dockery and we end up with 3 3rd round selections to use, or trade up into the 2nd with 2 of the 3 3rd rounders, keeping one and get 2 2nd round players with a third also.

I'm Shocked, Shocked that we didn't offer Neiman Marcus prices to keep a kmart player.

An opportunity for young hungry rookie WRs to take advantage and hopefully play alongside other inexpensive players like Mix if he comes out of camp as a viable option

Archived