Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Syria Says US Behind Attack On Own Embassy

MonkeySkin

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004843361

September 13, 2006 6:03 a.m. EST

Ryan R. Jones - All Headline News Middle East Correspondent

Jerusalem, Israel (AHN) - Senior Syrian government official have accused the US of being behind Tuesday's assault on its own embassy in downtown Damascus.

A Baath party official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told WorldNetDaily, "We in the government are 100 percent sure America was behind this attack, which is not the same as other attacks by Islamic groups."

He explained, "Only the Americans can succeed in carrying out an attack just 200 meters from President [bashar] Assad's residence in the most heavily guarded section of Syria."

The official charged that Washington had orchestrated the attack to "prove Syria is filled with terrorists and to put us in a weak position" in order to extract political concessions. Following the attack, Bush administration officials said they hoped the incident had convinced Damascus of the dangers of Islamic terror and the need to cooperate with the West against the phenomenon.

The US and several of its European allies have repeatedly demanded over the years that Damascus close down the local offices and training camps of several organizations hostile to Israel and the West.

The identities of those who attacked the US embassy Tuesday have not been revealed. Three of the gunmen were killed by Syrian guards during the assault. A fourth was reportedly captured.

What I'm finding humerous is that:

Syria (according to an annonymous source to a whackjob web site) is claiming that the whole thing was set up by the Americans to make Syria look bad.

Sarge is claiming that the whole thing was set up by Syria to make Syria look good.

What I'm finding humerous is that:

Syria (according to an annonymous source to a whackjob web site) is claiming that the whole thing was set up by the Americans to make Syria look bad.

Sarge is claiming that the whole thing was set up by Syria to make Syria look good.

either way it'd have been nice if our government expressed a little more gratitude for them foiling it and putting their own lives on the line to stop it.

i will never understand this administration's policy of going after secular dictators in a fight against islamic extremism.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004843361

September 13, 2006 6:03 a.m. EST

Ryan R. Jones - All Headline News Middle East Correspondent

Jerusalem, Israel (AHN) - Senior Syrian government official have accused the US of being behind Tuesday's assault on its own embassy in downtown Damascus.

A Baath party official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told WorldNetDaily, "We in the government are 100 percent sure America was behind this attack, which is not the same as other attacks by Islamic groups."

He explained, "Only the Americans can succeed in carrying out an attack just 200 meters from President [bashar] Assad's residence in the most heavily guarded section of Syria."

The official charged that Washington had orchestrated the attack to "prove Syria is filled with terrorists and to put us in a weak position" in order to extract political concessions. Following the attack, Bush administration officials said they hoped the incident had convinced Damascus of the dangers of Islamic terror and the need to cooperate with the West against the phenomenon.

The US and several of its European allies have repeatedly demanded over the years that Damascus close down the local offices and training camps of several organizations hostile to Israel and the West.

The identities of those who attacked the US embassy Tuesday have not been revealed. Three of the gunmen were killed by Syrian guards during the assault. A fourth was reportedly captured.

:doh:

That's about all I can muster for that garbage. Unbelieveable.

EDIT: Can't we kill that Baath party official? Just assassinate a higher-up? Not necessarily Assad, but someone close? I mean, if they are going to blame everything on us anyway, why don't we make it count, ya know?

I can't believe those frickin' animals would go as far as they did, but they did. Knock someone off, let them know we mean business, and they will change their tune pretty quick, I think.

"This is how quickly we can kill one of you morons...care to continue with blowing your hot air?"

EDIT: Can't we kill that Baath party official? Just assassinate a higher-up? Not necessarily Assad, but someone close? I mean, if they are going to blame everything on us anyway, why don't we make it count, ya know?

I can't believe those frickin' animals would go as far as they did, but they did. Knock someone off, let them know we mean business, and they will change their tune pretty quick, I think.

"This is how quickly we can kill one of you morons...care to continue with blowing your hot air?"

Bush to CIA: I want you to kill some guy. I don't know his name, and he probably doesn't even exist, but I want him dead, you hear me?

I am glad anonymous sources are not given whole hearted endorsement here. Hopefully the skepticism will be consistent.

Well, I have to admit, the fact that it was an anonymous source quoted exclusively by worldnetdaily.com did play a bit of a role in my first impression. :laugh:

But you are correct.

Bush to CIA: I want you to kill some guy. I don't know his name, and he probably doesn't even exist, but I want him dead, you hear me?

Well put. It seems like some people respond to every event by stating that someone needs to be killed. Often, we need to kill "them," though the "them" is usually pretty ill-defined, or the "them" had nothing to do with the event in question. This is funny until people start getting attacked for no reason, like the Sikhs around this country who were attacked after 9/11 because of people who wanted to attack "ragheads" and don't know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. Let's review the events here: a group attacks the US embassy in Syria but is stopped, some website quotes an unnamed source in the Syrian gov't that claims the US was behind the attack on its own embassy, and someone here responds by saying that a "higher-up" in the Syrian gov't should be killed. All I can say is: :doh:.

i think the consensus is that this article is slanderous towards syria. there is not actual proof of them saying this, just an unnamed source

Forget about "actual proof" of the Syrian gov't saying this - as far as I know, the Syrian gov't has made no statement to this effect. Nonetheless, the original poster decided to make the thread title, "Syria Says US Behind Attack On Own Embassy."

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

9. False posts or misleading subject titles are prohibited. Deception at the expense of the audience devalues the medium and the content it provides. Violation of this rule is regarded as a serious offense.

"Syria" did not say the US was behind this attack; it was a (purported) source within the Syrian gov't. It's one thing if the Syrian gov't comes out and accuses the US of this, it's another thing if some random, unnamed Syrian official believes it. It's not like the unnamed source provided any evidence for the claim - it's all hearsay.

Some US gov't officials might think that the US gov't was behind the 9/11 attacks; that doesn't justify an article entitled "US Says US Behind Attack On Own Country."

You'd think that a website calling itself "All Headline News" could at least get the headline right. Well, I guess if people are foolish enough to get all riled up about "articles" like this one, it's no surprise that they're too foolish to see the misleading nature of the "Syria Says US Behind Attack On Own Embassy" headline.

Archived