Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Redskins vs. Vikings WR/TE Discussion Thread---Age Is Relative

Jumbo

We might not bring in any WRs this offseason. Our current crop seems to be doing well enough as it is.

With all due respect, I think somebody's been hitting the eggnog a little hard

Just because you have a few guys that are making some plays down the meaningless stretch, doesn't mean we're set at the WR position. I mean Moss, Stallworth and Gafney are all in the twilight of their careers. They've produced in spurts but we're still terrible and they're not getting any younger. Furthermore, there isn't one play maker in the bunch (though Hankerson and Paul get incompletes at this point).

Just because you have a few guys that are making some plays down the meaningless stretch, doesn't mean we're set at the WR position. I mean Moss, Stallworth and Gafney are all in the twilight of their careers. They've produced in spurts but we're still terrible and they're not getting any younger. Furthermore, there isn't one play maker in the bunch (though Hankerson and Paul get incompletes at this point).

With all due respect, I think you aren't giving our wideouts much respect. Gaffney has proven beyond a doubt that he can be a solid #1 possession guy. He has a few really good years left in him. Hankerson was coming on strong until his injury. He could be that threat we've been missing. Moss is disappointing. Paul is inconclusive. Stallworth is solid depth. Austin has talent.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot on another young wideout for sure. However there is no need to spend a pick there when we have other more pressing issues.

A good QB would make these guys that much better. I like what we got. But wouldn't mind another young guy to compete.

I believe Shanny will add talent to the WR position. We do not have one guy that strikes fear in the opponent's defense. Shanny will makes sure that is not the case next year. Hankerson had one good game and some of us are anointing him too much praise without actually doing much. However, I do agree that we do not need to spend a high draft pick at the Wr position, because we have more pressing needs at other postions.

I hope to pick-up a free agent Wr. One of the few that have been discussed on here.

+1+1

Ya'll are crazy.

Moss, Gaffney, and Stallworth are all on the wrong side of 30 right now. For first time ever, I'd be willing to advocate letting Moss go because he's declined that badly. With Hankerson coming off a season-ending knee injury and Cooley possibly done, we have to bring in more firepower at the skill positions.We're asking for it if we don't...

Hankerson has a hip injury. And 30 year old receivers will be limited by injuries or work ethic decline, not age. If Moss and Gaffney and Stallworth are all too old, but Gaffney is doing good and Stallworth is coming on and Moss is struggling, going to their common denominator to find the problem is just stupid.

Hankerson has a hip injury. And 30 year old receivers will be limited by injuries or work ethic decline, not age. If Moss and Gaffney and Stallworth are all too old, but Gaffney is doing good and Stallworth is coming on and Moss is struggling, going to their common denominator to find the problem is just stupid.

Said exactly what I was going to say :yes:...

These ancient WRs are producting with Rex Grossman throwing them the ball behind a makeshift O-Line, and two of these WRs are just learning the new offensive scheme this year. While the unit definitely needs a bonafide #1, that need is not as great or urgent as some are making it out to be. A franchise QB could easily win with this WR unit if Hankerson, Paul, Austin and/or Armstrong improve. We don't HAVE to go get a WR this offseason.

Archived