Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over/Under on Sam and Sonny?

1972dodgedart

First of all, its Sonny and Sam :silly:

Second, Sam has to go...yesterday. With all due respect considering what he's done for this franchise he is absolutely horrible on the radio right now. I don't know if its age or perhaps concussions that he suffered when he played but the guy has no clue what he's talking about.

I'm not trying to mock the guy, I honestly feel bad for him because listening to him is painful.

Sonny's fine but Sam?

Sam needs to hang it up. He sounds like Grandpa Simpson trying to describe the game.

Sam: "Hey!! What's London doing all the way down there??"

Sonny: "He's covering the tight end"

Sam: "He's the middle linebacker!! He needs to be in the line hittin'!! He's not a safety!!"

Sonny: "That's his assignment Sam. Larry, can ya help me out here??"

Sam: "I like ice cream. Where's the Good Humor man at??"

Larry: "Brandon Banks is back to receive the punt...."

I was listening today wondering if it would be the last time I heard the two together. I've known nothing but Sonny and Sam on Redskins radio in my 33 years, but Sam's time should be up. All things must come to an end. The poor old fella is an embarassment these days. Sonny is still awesome as always.

Well since I'm usually watching it on TV, I thankfully don't have to hear them much... I do have a radio in my bathroom that comes on with the lights so I guess it's fitting that I only hear them when I'm taking a dumpsky. They even make that painful

Yes. It's hard to listen to Sam, but can't imagine Sonny going on without him. Then again, I couldn't imagine Sonny and Sam going on without Frank either. I would like to suggest that it's time for Larry to step aside. There is something in his voice that sounds like he has a head cold of massive proportions. It tends to get on my nerves.

Well since I'm usually watching it on TV, I thankfully don't have to hear them much... I do have a radio in my bathroom that comes on with the lights so I guess it's fitting that I only hear them when I'm taking a dumpsky. They even make that painful

early leader for post of the year

A few things.

1. As long as I've been listening to them, I still have trouble differentiating between Sonny and Sam. They really do sound like the same guy.

2. Sam Huff is a great human being and a legend of the game. We all love him. He needs to step down. I had to listen to the game today in the car... it was just awful. Poor Sam is completely senile. He doesn't even know the rules of the game. (no, seriously. He doesn't).

3. Sonny is a great Redskin, but he's an extremely lazy broadcaster. I can forgive Sam on some level simply because he's lost his mind... but it's clear that Sonny does no prep prior to gameday. He just shows up with the team and talks about the game to thousands of people listening in.

4. Larry Michael is not popular I know but among the three he is the only professional.

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have a broadcast Team that actually does pre-work and doesn't just wing it on gamedays? A broadcast Team that can point out interesting backstories on players, coaches, etc... or share interesting points of view based on research and preparation for the broadcast? That actually exists you know...

---------- Post added January-3rd-2011 at 12:11 AM ----------

I listened to the very end of the game today on the radio and I felt like Larry and Sonny just let Sam talk and then they rarely comment on it. And if they do, its correcting him.

3. Sonny is a great Redskin, but he's an extremely lazy broadcaster. I can forgive Sam on some level simply because he's lost his mind... but it's clear that Sonny does no prep prior to gameday. He just shows up with the team and talks about the game to thousands of people listening in.

Thanks for saying this. I've always found the "Sonny is still sharp" arguments weak. Yes, Sonny is aware that there is a game going on and can line up his comments with what is happening on the field. But I haven't heard hims say anything interesting or insightful in years. Sam was always a much better broadcaster; he could actually explain why certain plays work or don't work. Sonny is of the "They need to pass the ball better" or "The line needs to step up here" school of stating the obvious.

Thanks for saying this. I've always found the "Sonny is still sharp" arguments weak. Yes' date=' Sonny is aware that there is a game going on and can line up his comments with what is happening on the field. But I haven't heard hims say anything interesting or insightful in years. Sam was always a much better broadcaster; he could actually explain why certain plays work or don't work. Sonny is of the "They need to pass the ball better" or "The line needs to step up here" school of stating the obvious.[/quote']

The Giants actually have a pretty good setup using former players of more recent vintage -- Carl Banks in the booth, Howard Cross doing the sideline work. Both guys are candid and are not afraid to be critical of the team on the air. I'd like to see the Redskins try something like that, but I don't know what players from the first Gibbs era could do the job without infuriating Snyder.

I'd just like to point out that Joe Theismann and John Riggins are 61. And they are always the first names mentioned when the discussion turns to replacing Sonny and Sam. The First Gibbs Era was a long, long, long time ago. Hiring those guys as broadcasters would mean more senior moments in a few years.

Is there no one who was on the team in the last 15 years that could qualify for the job? How about Phillip Daniels moving to the broadcast booth in a year or two? He might be pretty good at it.

Also, there is no law that says you need a three-man booth. I find the three man booth somewhat distracting in radio anyway since the play by play man has to do so much more.

Larry Michael and Phillip Daniels for 2012? Put Fred Smoot on the sidelines.

Boom!

I'd just like to point out that Joe Theismann and John Riggins are 61. And they are always the first names mentioned when the discussion turns to replacing Sonny and Sam. The First Gibbs Era was a long' date=' long, long time ago. Hiring those guys as broadcasters would mean more senior moments in a few years.

Is there no one who was on the team in the last 15 years that could qualify for the job? How about Phillip Daniels moving to the broadcast booth in a year or two? He might be pretty good at it.

Also, there is no law that says you need a three-man booth. I find the three man booth somewhat distracting in radio anyway since the play by play man has to do so much more.

Larry Michael and Phillip Daniels for 2012? Put Fred Smoot on the sidelines.

Boom![/quote']

Forgot how time passes, although JT and Riggo both look pretty good for 61.

This is pathetic, I can't think of anyone else!

They need a 100% new radio booth that is only 2 guys. 3 is just too many. Find a play by play guy that can speak intelligently on what's happening with maybe a few general comments to get the color guy rolling.

Doesn't need to be an ex-player. But if they insist on that, then it doesn't need to be a HOFer. Just an ex-Skin who understands play calling and can explain how a play just happened based on assignments and certain packages.

I'd be fine with a Phillip Daniels. But they would need to pair him with somebody much better than Larry (who's below average IMO).

Smoot on the sidelines would be funny.

You folks honestly think Riggins would be a candidate for the job? The man who said Snyder (who would be his boss as an official member of the Redskins broadcast team) had a 'dark heart'. I think JT is a serious candidate, but they need to look younger if they want a long term team like we have had with Sonny and Sam.

DG wouldn't be too bad, young enough, beloved enough. I really can't think of anyone on the offensive side outside of JT though.

They need a 100% new radio booth that is only 2 guys. 3 is just too many. Find a play by play guy that can speak intelligently on what's happening with maybe a few general comments to get the color guy rolling.

Doesn't need to be an ex-player. But if they insist on that, then it doesn't need to be a HOFer. Just an ex-Skin who understands play calling and can explain how a play just happened based on assignments and certain packages.

I'd be fine with a Phillip Daniels. But they would need to pair him with somebody much better than Larry (who's below average IMO).

Smoot on the sidelines would be funny.

I don't know. It's the local radio broadcast. It doesn't need to be a highly professional product. I've heard the Dan Patrick/Theismann idea. That just strikes me as a boring ESPN combo. A lot of "We talked to Trent Williams yesterday and he said he's never been more excited about the talent around him" type of bs.

When I had Sirius, my favorite color commentator was Ron Wolfley from the Cardinals. Nothing he says makes any sense, but he says it like a Pro Wrestler from the 1970s. He's awesome.

I love the idea of Smoot as a sideline reporter. I think he would be a bit much for a whole game, but I think it would be endlessly entertaining to give him one minute twice a quarter to say whatever the hell was on his mind - someone's ugly shoes, what the cheerleaders are wearing, how the team meal was, who is doing the best trash talking, etc.

With Sam and Sonny being a combined 314 years old and Larry Michael shilling Papa Johns every two seconds, the Skins' broadcast has lost its sense of fun.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/2010/01/10/20100110wolfley0110.html

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 11:47 AM ----------

DG wouldn't be too bad, young enough, beloved enough. I really can't think of anyone on the offensive side outside of JT though.

Darrel Green? He never impressed me during his "show" with Czabe and Pollin. I have a feeling he would be one of those color commentators who bring everything back to how he would have done something. Lavar and B Mitch do the same thing. It's never good when the color guy has a huge ego.

Yes. It's hard to listen to Sam, but can't imagine Sonny going on without him. Then again, I couldn't imagine Sonny and Sam going on without Frank either. I would like to suggest that it's time for Larry to step aside. There is something in his voice that sounds like he has a head cold of massive proportions. It tends to get on my nerves.

Subway! Eat fresh!

Archived