Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens vs Texans Game provide some good Redskins evaluation game tape

redskins55

During my football years we would from time to time watch other teams that ran similar systems as our team. We'd look at their personnel and how they performed in the same scheme as ours. Now I just finished watching the MNF which coincidentally feature two teams that play similar schemes as us. I know alot of us think the Skins are snake bitten but if we're snake bitten then the Texans are cursed and the Ravens are shell shocked..lol

We all know that our offense is basically the same as the Texans, but what is shocking is the fact that both the Redskins and Texans are having similar poor seasons.The Texans cant play defense giving up big plays all over the place.But that wasn't my focus with them, it was their offense. Its potent and explosive but hits speed bumps frequently just like the Skins. In this game the Texans were struggling bad and couldn't find their rhythm, but all of a sudden Schaub starts finding Andre Johnson and they stage an incredible comeback. In particular their last drive of the game which looked similar to the Redskins final drive vs the Bucs. A long time consuming effort culminating in a 4th down TD catch. The difference however was the fact that Andre Johnson basically created the plays for them to score the TD. He had a key 4th down conversion early in the final drive and he had the incredibly athletic leaping TD on a bum ankle. It made me think about what player on our team could make those type of plays, or draw coverage away from other weapons as he did for Schaub to find Jacoby Ford and others. Unfortunately I think we already know that answer.

The Ravens I basically just focused on their O-Line and D-Line. They run a 3-4, slightly modified compared to our Steelers version we employ but the concepts are the same. I noticed that the Ravens front three consistently got pressure on Schaub allowing their backers and secondary to make plays. The biggest of them coming in OT as the CB was able to jump the route for a walk off TD. Ray Lewis is a tackling machine just like Fletcher and is proof that you dont have to be large or young to excel in the 3-4, you simply must have the weapons.And Ed Reed plays center field exploiting QB's bad decisions to chuck it down field in the face of the front d-line pressure. Their O-Line allowed Flaco to make some big throws down the field and rarely allowed pressure in his face.

So looking at both of the schemes that we play and seeing the Texans and Ravens personnel play it, I think its obvious that the Redskins arnt far away at all from being a good team. They dont need a total overhaul like some have suggested. To me its just a #1 WR ,Dominating NT, ball hawking FS, and an interior o-line. Six positions that can be solved in free agency and the draft. Even if we simply solved 3 of these needs we would see significant improvement. (WR, NT, C/G..etc. )It can get kinda depressing looking at the Skins and comparing them to teams like the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys. But when you compare them to teams that run similar schemes the outlook is brighter.

I've said this before but it's posts like these that merit a repeat. This is why I come here. Excellent post. However, I disagree with you. I think the Redskins are much further away from becoming a really dominant football team or even a consistent one than you think. It has to start with consistency and Shanny hasn't been here long enough for that to happen. Lets hope that the coaching staff remains intact otherwise we won't even be having this discussion.

My point on personnel is that we really don't have what it takes to run the 3-4. We aren't very deep at linebacker and we will more than likely need another corner unless Barnes turns out ok. I think that its going to take some time to find players we need at these positions in addition to a good Nose Tackle.

Then you move to the other side of the ball. McNabb is a good qb given time in the pocket so we need to work on the line first. But then you have to think he won't be here for more than 2 years if they keep him after this year. So a new QB is probably needed. We definitely need a possession WR. Perhaps Kelly is that man? Who knows. Either way, the team is on the right track so I can agree with you there I just don't think we're only a few players away. I think that mentality has gotten the Skins into the current situation (and over the past 10 years).

I apologize. I must have stopped reading after the first couple of paragraphs, or it's the pain killers that made me miss what you said about 6 players away.

The team can definitely get healthy at those positions in the coming years but you have to admit it would take a perfect draft class and really good free agent selections for that to happen which is why I still think they are a few years away (and a full draft).

The good news here is that I do feel comfortable with Allen and Shanny calling the shots. I think once they get a few years of consistency under them things will start to look much better.

It made me think about what player on our team could make those type of plays, or draw coverage away from other weapons as he did for Schaub to find Jacoby Ford and others.

We have no one and it doesn't matter if our Defense is still the worse in the league. Houston has Andre Johnson, a better D and have won the same amount of games as us.

BTW Ford plays for Oakland not Houston.

You got the defense wrong though. If we are going to run a 3-4 then everyone (excluding Orakpo) in the front need to be removed or go to the bench.Fletcher and Rocky in the middle is a no no. Lorenzo on the outside is not a good fit. Then we have no NG and DE on our roster to run a 3-4.

You got the defense wrong though. If we are going to run a 3-4 then everyone (excluding Orakpo) in the front need to be removed or go to the bench.Fletcher and Rocky in the middle is a no no. Lorenzo on the outside is not a good fit. Then we have no NG and DE on our roster to run a 3-4.

Not necessiarly true-Carriker seems to be pretty consisent out there playing DE. I will agree that we do need a dominant NG and a FS that can make plays because Kareem Moore just doesnt seem to be cutting it back there.

We also have no idea what Jarmon or Wilson are capable of.

So looking at both of the schemes that we play and seeing the Texans and Ravens personnel play it, I think its obvious that the Redskins arnt far away at all from being a good team. They dont need a total overhaul like some have suggested. To me its just a #1 WR ,Dominating NT, ball hawking FS, and an interior o-line. Six positions that can be solved in free agency and the draft. Even if we simply solved 3 of these needs we would see significant improvement. (WR, NT, C/G..etc. )It can get kinda depressing looking at the Skins and comparing them to teams like the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys. But when you compare them to teams that run similar schemes the outlook is brighter.

Even the best teams miss via draft and via FA.

I think every fan should be well aware that they shouldn't expect every draft pick and FA signee to workout.

Also, i think that expecting a WR to come in and instantly become a true No.1.

I think the expectation should be for any player to come in and contribute not to come in and be a saviour.

The notion that we can find the 6 positions in one offseason is very hopeful.

I think 3 position is more likely to happen.

And if i had to pick 3 of 5 areas to upgrade i would pick: NT, C/RT, LOLB/3-4 DE

It made me think about what player on our team could make those type of plays, or draw coverage away from other weapons as he did for Schaub to find Jacoby Ford and others.
Looking at James Jones performance. I definitely hope that we pick him up in the offseason. He's a fast receiver with decent height. Plus he's from Kyle Shanahan's system so I think he'll be perfect for us.

:ols: Ok, people. A summary:

Jacoby Jones WR, Houston

Jacoby Ford WR, Oakland

James Jones WR Green Bay

Hope that clears it up.:cool:

:ols: Ok, people. A summary:

Jacoby Jones WR, Houston

Jacoby Ford WR, Oakland

James Jones WR Green Bay

Hope that clears it up.:cool:

I mean Jones.. my bad.. ;)

OMG!

Our D isnt even close to the Ravens, and our O isnt close to Houston.

You may say we are 6 people away, but we are 6 first rounders away.

Appreciate your optomistic approach however.

Trust me I know that we are light years away from being a great defense like the Ravens or a great offense like Houston. That wasn't my point to suggest that we are close to being great. The point that I'm making is that we can learn what positions are most important for us to focus on to make us closer to being a good team by evaluating two teams that run very similar systems as us.

Remember the Texans are explosive but they've lost at least 7 games each of the last four years. They also went from a 28th ranked offense to a 12th ranked offense in just one year after adding Andre Johnson. So we actually might be closer to the Texans offensively than you think. The Ravens went 6-10 in 2005 then added Hiloti Ngata and went 13-3 in 2006. They went 5-11 in 2007 added Guard Ben Grubbs and went 11-5 in 2008. So both teams like the Ravens and Texans have proven that it only takes one year to get better with a few key additions.

eddie royal to the skins this offseason.

his rookie contract ends this season. light talks with shanahan. signs are pointing that way

Where'd you hear this, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, wasn't he just drafted three years ago? Why would his contract be up...most 2nd round contracts are at least 4 years.

Archived