Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YOUR best homemade Chili Recipe?

@DCGoldPants

After another great night at Nats Park with some Ben's Chili Bowl, I was thinking I'd like to try my hand at making a few different chili recipes to find something I'd like for football season.

SO.....I come to my ES brothers and sisters for help. Do you have a recipe you swear by? Are you willing to share it?

I'm willing to try maybe 3-5 different ones over the next few weeks.

Hook a pal up.

I'm looking for directions on every step.

I'm not giving you my recipe but I will give you the 2 best pieces of advice I got from an ol' timer when I started making chili.

DO NOT eat the chili the same day it's made! Let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours before heating and serving.

Slow and low. If you think it may take to long to cook the chili then it's at a good temperature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

for those that may want to offer recipes, are you looking for real chili recipes or that stuff that has beans in it?? ;)

I make this every Saturday during CFB season. If you have the spices on hand, should run you less than $20 and will serve several hungry guys drinking beer and watching SEC football.

I use a 5 Quart pot on the stove, but a crock pot works as well.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef

1 long link of your favorite spicy sausage (I use Conecuh Hot and Spicy)

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can cannellini (or great northern) beans

15 oz can tomato sauce

28oz can diced tomatoes

3 small cans diced green chili (I think the cans are 4 oz each)

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 red bell pepper, chopped

2 jalapenos, minced

1 white onion, chopped

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 Tbsp. chili powder

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

2.5 Tbsp. ground cumin

1 Tsp. cayenne pepper

2 cups rice

1 package shredded cheddar cheese

Add oil to pot and heat on medium. Add beef and brown. Chop Sausage into 1/2" to 1" slices, then quarter. Add sausage to beef as you cut it, as beef is browning.

Add all veggies (peppers, chilies, garlic, onions). Cook until onions loose color and are translucent.

Add spices (chili, brown sugar, cumin, cayenne). Stir well and add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 mins.

Drain and add beans. Stir well, cover and simmer for additional 20 to 25 mins, stirring occasionally.

Serve over rice topped with cheese.

If you like it milder, cut out one jalapeno and cayenne, sub regular sausage for spicy. If you need more heat, add additional jalapenos. I've used up to 5 before.

Chili is my favorite food to make. If you want real chili, do NOT add beans. I love beans, but they do not go with chili. ;)

My chili will have a couple pounds of ground chuck; a couple onions; a little garlic; a couple more pounds of Texas brisket; maybe a little less than two cups of barbecue sauce; for some moisture, I'll add some beer; then it's time for about a tablespoon of both cayenne pepper and chili powder because it's gotta have some fire to it; also a few pickled jalapenos are a must; half a tablespoon of ground cumin; 2-3 tablespoons of paprika; about 1/4 cup of brown sugar; let it simmer for close to an hour before mixing in some salt.

Now I'm ready to have an orgasm in my mouth. :)

Chili snobs will probably complain about it, but I'm a fan of this

Karen's "Flying D" Chili from Ted's Montana Grill

2.5 lbs. Fresh Ground Bison

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 Cups Diced Onion

Fresh Garlic, Chopped Fine

1Qt. Water

3 Tbsp. Beef base

1 Cup Tomato Paste

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Oregano Leaves

1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

½ tsp. Black Pepper

1 1/2 tsp. Sugar

1 1/2 tsp. Cumin, Ground

3 Tbsp. Chili Powder

1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes

1 Cup Ranch Style Beans

Heat oil and add the meat, breaking up any large chunks.

When the meat is half way cooked, add the onion and garlic.

Sauté until soft.

Add water, beef base, and tomato paste.

Bring to a boil.

Add seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add beans and stewed tomatoes.

Cook for one additional minute.

Chili is my favorite food to make. If you want real chili, do NOT add beans. I love beans, but they do not go with chili. ;)

My chili will have a couple pounds of ground chuck; a couple onions; a little garlic; a couple more pounds of Texas brisket; maybe a little less than two cups of barbecue sauce; for some moisture, I'll add some beer; then it's time for about a tablespoon of both cayenne pepper and chili powder because it's gotta have some fire to it; also a few pickled jalapenos are a must; half a tablespoon of ground cumin; 2-3 tablespoons of paprika; about 1/4 cup of brown sugar; let it simmer for close to an hour before mixing in some salt.

I'll edit this to a recipe after the Rangers game which is about to start now. :)

Beans taste GREAT in Chili. They add fiber, flavor and texture. Plus for like a two bucks, your big pot o Chili lasts longer and serves more. One vote for beans!

As for mine:

12 oz - 1lb ground turkey or lean ground beef

12 oz - 1lb ground sausage of your choice (I buy hot)

2 onions, chopped/diced

2 green peppers, chopped/diced

3 oz pickled jalapeños

1 large can diced tomatoes

2 tomato cans of tomato paste

1 large can red kidney beans

1 12-15 oz can black beans

2 cups chicken stock

Cumin

Red pepper

Salt

Pepper

Chili seasoning packet

Directions

Brown meats along with your diced onions and then green peppers. Add cumin, red pepper, salt and pepper to season.

Add diced tomato

Add beans

Add tomato paste

Add chicken stock

Put the heat on medium and stir often (the meat/beans may want to sink to the bottom and burn if you aren't stirring often.

Add chili seasoning packet, more chicken stock if it gets too thick, jalapeños, the second can of tomato paste and any other seasonings that float your boat.

I usually let it cool for a good 45 minutes and then heat it back up before serving. It will taste even better the next day!

Damn. I think I'm about to go to the store now and get chili fixins!

If there beans in the chili it aint chili.......NO BEANS PLEASE

Best way to make chili is to do it in layers........

Step One

3 lbs - Chili Grind Ground Meat

1 can - (10-1/2 oz) beef broth

1 can - (8 oz) tomato sauce

4 tbsp - Onion Flakes

2 tsp - Beef Flavored Base or Instant Bouillon

1 tsp - Chicken Flavored Base or Instant Bouillon

1 tsp - Garlic Powder

2 tbsp - Chili Powder

2 tsp - Hot Pepper Sauce

In a Dutch oven, brown beef (do not drain). Add beef broth and tomato sauce. Combine remaining ingredients and add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer one (1) hour.

Step Two

1/2 tsp - Black Pepper

1/2 tsp - Onion Powder

1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp - White Pepper

1 tbsp - Ground Cumin

1 tbsp - Paprika

4 tbsp - Chili Powder

1/2 tsp - Red Pepper

Combine spices and add to chili. Simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Step Three

3 tbsp - Chili Powder

1 tsp - Ground Cumin

1/2 tsp - Red Pepper

Combine spices and add to chili. Simmer 30 minutes and serve. Makes 8 servings.

It sounds awesome except for the last part....:ols:

Can someone explain why chili with beans isn't chili?

The origin of the stuff,(and it's ingredients),is a bit debatable,but it is widely accepted that it started in Texas and it didn't have any beans. As the stuff spread around the country,beans and other ingredients started to be added. Reportedly because meat was more expensive. So I guess since the original "recipe" didn't have beans in it........

The origin of the stuff,(and it's ingredients),is a bit debatable,but it is widely accepted that it started in Texas and it didn't have any beans. As the stuff spread around the country,beans and other ingredients started to be added. Reportedly because meat was more expensive. So I guess since the original "recipe" didn't have beans in it........

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

According to an old Southwestern American Indian legend and tale (several modern writer have documented - or maybe just "passed along") it is said that the first recipe for chili con carne was put on paper in the 17th century by a beautiful nun, Sister Mary of Agreda of Spain. She was mysteriously known to the Indians of the Southwest United States as "La Dama de Azul," the lady in blue. Sister Mary would go into trances with her body lifeless for days. When she awoke from these trances, she said her spirit had been to a faraway land where she preached Christianity to savages and counseled them to seek out Spanish missionaries.

It is certain that Sister Mary never physically left Spain, yet Spanish missionaries and King Philip IV of Spain believed that she was the ghostly "La Dama de Azul" or "lady in blue" of Indian Legend. It is said that sister Mary wrote down the recipe for chili which called for venison or antelope meat, onions, tomatoes, and chile peppers.

No beans:D

Here's how I found the best chili recipe ever.

Step 1: Be very charming and witty enabling you to meet a wonderful girl

Step 2. Marry her

Step 4. Find a comfy chair

Step 4: Enjoy the day while she makes delicious chili

Step 5: Mmmm- mm!

~Bang

As PCS said, its a geographic thing.

The original recipe did not include beans, as is arose in rich, meat-plentiful areas in Texas. As it spread across the country, the styles and ingredients change.

Purists will high horse you with their deep chili principles, but if you grew up eating it one way and it tastes good, no worries in my book. It always amazes me the things Texans get all hot and bothered about.

No different than thin crust vs deep dish or Chicago style hot dog vs Sonoran or grits vs cream of wheat. Geographic food variations are part of our culture, and there is no right or wrong answer, despite what some broad from the 1800s says.:pfft:

It's just a matter of opinion and taste. And beans or no beans, chili rocks. We can all agree on that.

No different than thin crust vs deep dish or Chicago style hot dog vs Sonoran or grits vs cream of wheat. Geographic food variations are part of our culture, and there is no right or wrong answer, despite what some broad from the 1800s says.:pfft:

You want to see hot and bothered,go ahead and say that kind of stuff in Chicago,parts of the South,(not Texas),ect. :paranoid:

;)

The following song has become the anthem at every Terlingua Cook-Off, where no chili with beans recipes are allows to compete.

If You Know Beans About Chili, You Know That Chili Has No Beans.

by Ken Finlay, singer, songwriter, and owner of Cheatham Street Warehouse (a music hall in San Marcos), written in 1976.

You burn some mesquite and when the coals get hot, you bunk up some meat and you throw it on a pot.

While some chile pods and garlic and comino and stuff, then you add a little salt till there's just enough.

You can throw in some onions to make it smell good.

You can even add tomatoes, if you feel like you should.

But if you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans

If you know beans about chili, you know it didn't come from Mexico.

Chili was God's gift to Texas (or maybe it came from down below).

And chili doesn't go with macaroni, and dammed Yankee's don't go with chili queens;

and if you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans

Archived